Author Topic: AcuRite PC Connect vs. Internet Bridge ?  (Read 7502 times)

Offline Jaxon

AcuRite PC Connect vs. Internet Bridge ?
« on: June 27, 2016, 02:58:18 AM »
Howdy.

I'm shopping for my first weather station.  Actually, it's for my wife.  Budget is $200.  I know virtually nothing about these things, but in the little research I've done on this forum (and Amazon Reviews), it seems that the AcuRite 5n1 systems offer the best bang for the buck.

But I'm confused about the PC Connect and Internet Bridge features.  Aren't they redundant?

As I understand it, the PC Connect requires connection to a Windows PC (or Raspberry Pi, or similar).  And the Internet Bridge just connects directly to the router without a computer.  But don't they essentially do the same thing? ... that is real-time transmission of weather station data to the AcuLink or Wunderground websites?

I guess what has me confused is IF they do the same thing, then why do they sell packages with BOTH features?  Wouldn't you need just one or the other, but not both?

Thanks.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: AcuRite PC Connect vs. Internet Bridge ?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
Howdy.

I'm shopping for my first weather station.  Actually, it's for my wife.  Budget is $200.  I know virtually nothing about these things, but in the little research I've done on this forum (and Amazon Reviews), it seems that the AcuRite 5n1 systems offer the best bang for the buck.

But I'm confused about the PC Connect and Internet Bridge features.  Aren't they redundant?

As I understand it, the PC Connect requires connection to a Windows PC (or Raspberry Pi, or similar).  And the Internet Bridge just connects directly to the router without a computer.  But don't they essentially do the same thing? ... that is real-time transmission of weather station data to the AcuLink or Wunderground websites?

I guess what has me confused is IF they do the same thing, then why do they sell packages with BOTH features?  Wouldn't you need just one or the other, but not both?

Thanks.

The bridge works without the need for a Windows PC.

Acurite Connnect (PC Connect is legacy software) allows you to connect a PC to a USB console.

They both report to MyBackYardWeather.com.  Acurite Connect can also do rapid-fire directly to Wunderground. 

Currently the bridge only reports to MBW.  MBW then reports to wunderground in 15-minute intervals (i.e. it's not "rapid fire").

The bridge system is expandable to other sensors, while the Acurite Connect method only works with one sensor suite.

Be aware that major changes are in the works as MBW is being replaced by a more modern system later this year.  Features are going to change.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:57:00 AM »
Think of the PC connect feature as nothing more than a $0.12 USB connector on the back of the weather station console.  It would cost them more to make a different part number without the connector than they lose in leaving it on every unit sold.

Both products upload your data to their MBW (my backyard weather) web site in real-time, and MBW has the option to share that data with Weather Underground at 15-minute intervals.  If you want more frequent WU updates than 15 minutes or to send data to another web site, you need to look into third-party software.

The USB console interface is *only* supported under Windows, so using it with any other platform requires third-party or commercial support.

There are a few options (like ninsehelser's WeeWX setup or the commercial MeteoBridge) that will capture network traffic between the bridge and MBW, allowing you to send it to other locations or store the observations locally.

On my personal setup, I'm using MeteoBridge connected to a [failing] console via USB.  I have the bridge as well, but found that the USB console was immune to the occasional MBW server hiccups that would cause the bridge to not send data.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 11:03:02 AM »
Think of the PC connect feature as nothing more than a $0.12 USB connector on the back of the weather station console.  It would cost them more to make a different part number without the connector than they lose in leaving it on every unit sold.

Actually, they sell consoles with and without USB connectivity.  The ones without USB are substantially less expensive.

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »
The Acurite 5-in-1 is a great little unit.  You can see mine in my forum avatar.

You say this is for your wife, hmm ok sure it is...

Is this like that Simpson's episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball with his name engraved on it for her birthday?

I'm just kidding ya, "your wife" will love this unit.

One note about the console though, unless they've improved the color one since I got it is it has good horizontal but limited vertical viewing angles.  If you view it from certain vertical angles the numbers start disappearing, especially if your viewing angle is below the display and you are looking up at it. 

It seems best viewed with you looking down at the display, like on a desktop or recliner side table.   Minor detail, great unit.   

Also, it has a great web page display, https://acu-link.com/dashboard that will display your stations data once you get your unit hooked up.  It's very nice and customize-able too.

The bridge is the way to go IMHO if you want to report to Weatherbug/Wunderground via MBY and if you don't want a 24hr on computer to do it.  One other thing is when you mount the unit you'll want to get the bridge fairly close to it, that 300'ft connection range is a bit generous in my experience.   Others experiences may vary but that's mine.

You get more like 100' ft maybe, your distance may vary by housing construction etc, metal structures etc, line of sight within 75-100ft seems best and of course the closer the better. 

The other cool thing about the bridge is you can over time purchase and add additional sensors to the bridge and see those too on the web page display.  I even see recently the have a place for a new sensor I'm going to have to get for my pool, a water temp sensor. 

I already have a second rain and temp/hum gauge hooked up and now I need to get the water temp sensor, very cool to have that on the web page before I jump in :).   

Good luck and enjoy and take it from me, keep asking for advice on here, the members are awesome and will help you immensely as they have me.  I just got started in this last July and now I have three weather stations, three weather cams and a website based on a template found here.  Great community here.

Love the cat pic avatar btw.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:59:56 AM by sundevil01010101 »
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 03:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.  Really appreciate it.

Good luck and enjoy and take it from me, keep asking for advice on here, the members are awesome and will help you immensely as they have me.  I just got started in this last July and now I have three weather stations, three weather cams and a website based on a template found here.  Great community here.

You say this is for your wife, hmm ok sure it is...
Is this like that Simpson's episode where Homer buys Marge a bowling ball with his name engraved on it for her birthday?

That is the reason I came here.  Impressed that so many people are so involved and helpful. Very cool.

To be honest, I never even knew this whole weather station thing was a thing.  (Didn't even know they existed until a few days ago when I stumbled across one on Amazon.) 

I personally spend 0.1% of my time thinking about the weather.  I'm a couch potato computer freak.  I stay inside working on computers.  So weather rarely effects me, and I couldn't care less most of the time.

DW, on the other hand, she loves watching the forecast and knowing exactly what's happening outside.  Yes, really.

But whatever...

Based on the replies (thanks again!) it still seems like the Internet Bridge and PC Connect (a.k.a. Acurite Connnect) do essentially the same thing.  That is transmit data to the interwebs.  They do it somewhat differently, but they're ultimately doing the same thing.

I do like the rapid-fire feature of Acurite Connect to Wunderground.  And I always have at least one computer running 24/7 anyway.  So it sounds like Acurite Connect is the best way to go.  Not interested in adding more sensors.  Not interested in fighting the connectivity problems with the bridge.  Don't want to babysit it.  Don't want headaches.  Just want to set it and forget it, so the DW can play around with it, and I don't have to think about it.

Be aware that major changes are in the works as MBW is being replaced by a more modern system later this year.  Features are going to change.

Yes, I've seen you mention this elsewhere.  I think they are basing this new functionality around the Acurite Connect feature though, right?

Love the cat pic avatar btw.
Cool thanks.  I'm a softy for cats (most of the time).  Ha ha...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 03:14:50 PM by Jaxon »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 03:43:05 PM »
I do like the rapid-fire feature of Acurite Connect to Wunderground.  And I always have at least one computer running 24/7 anyway.  So it sounds like Acurite Connect is the best way to go.  Not interested in adding more sensors.  Not interested in fighting the connectivity problems with the bridge.  Don't want to babysit it.  Don't want headaches.  Just want to set it and forget it, so the DW can play around with it, and I don't have to think about it.

Connectivity problems with the bridge?  What? 

It's more the other way around.  There are still people having problems with Acurite Connect and USB ports on some Windows machines.  Many headaches.  Much babysitting.  Your luck may vary.

The bridge's antenna isn't the greatest, but once you've got it in position, it just works.

Yes, I've seen you mention this elsewhere.  I think they are basing this new functionality around the Acurite Connect feature though, right?

No.  Sorry I can't say more.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
I personally like the bridge solution. If you have problems with the fan on the main sensor, or have to site in a place where thermometer readings are not good to take from, then you can use a separate sensor and run them from one of the handful of software solutions that can be used in conjunction with the bridge. Also the consoles are prone to dropping signal, while the bridge as Nincehelser says can be moved around easier, but also tends to not drop signal once you find the right position and location.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 06:04:36 PM »

It's more the other way around.  There are still people having problems with Acurite Connect and USB ports on some Windows machines.  Many headaches.  Much babysitting.
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.  I thought I read that people were having trouble keeping the bridge connected to the weather station.  Is that wrong?  I understand the 300 feet claim is more like 75-100 feet.  I also understand that the bridge cannot do rapid-fire Wunderground transmissions without jumping through a bunch of other hoops, buying even more equipment, and hacking together a solution.

Even so, it seems a lot of (most?) people prefer the bridge.

Sorting this out is already very frustrating and time consuming.    ](*,) 

But whatever...  I really appreciate all the feedback.

If I go with the Internet Bridge instead of Acurite Connect, what's the *simplest* and *cheapest* way to setup the rapid fire transmissions to Wunderground?  A Raspberry Pi and ???  or a router and Meteobridge?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 06:33:55 PM »

It's more the other way around.  There are still people having problems with Acurite Connect and USB ports on some Windows machines.  Many headaches.  Much babysitting.
Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.  I thought I read that people were having trouble keeping the bridge connected to the weather station.  Is that wrong?  I understand the 300 feet claim is more like 75-100 feet.  I also understand that the bridge cannot do rapid-fire Wunderground transmissions without jumping through a bunch of other hoops, buying even more equipment, and hacking together a solution.

Even so, it seems a lot of (most?) people prefer the bridge.

Sorting this out is already very frustrating and time consuming.    ](*,) 

But whatever...  I really appreciate all the feedback.

If I go with the Internet Bridge instead of Acurite Connect, what's the *simplest* and *cheapest* way to setup the rapid fire transmissions to Wunderground?  A Raspberry Pi and ???  or a router and Meteobridge?

There are no major issues that I'm aware of.  330 feet is only under ideal conditions (i.e. clear line-of-sight, no obstructions).  Real-world results tend to be a lot less.  I've heard Acruite now has a 433MHz repeater, but I haven't seen or used one.

For wunderground rapid-fire, the easiest and cheapest way (for now) is to grab something like a Pi, add another ethernet port via a USB dongle, configure as a network bridge, monitor the data, and run a simple script.

http://nincehelser.com/ipwx (old, but just follow the initial setup)
http://nincehelser.com/ipwxcode/listener
http://nincehelser.com/ipwxcode/parser

Again, changes are coming.  Do not expect the above code to work forever.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 06:45:37 PM by nincehelser »

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 08:42:02 PM »
Well I think I've finally decided to get the 901WES Bundle.  It has both the Bridge and AcuRite Connect.  So if I have trouble with one, I can fallback to the other.

Also want to get two of the new indoor temperature/humidity sensors

That makes a total of 3 sensors, right?  ...the 5n1 and two indoor temp sensors. 
So I should be able to send ALL 3 sensors up to the Acu-Link website, correct?

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 08:43:56 PM »
For wunderground rapid-fire, the easiest and cheapest way (for now) is to grab something like a Pi, add another ethernet port via a USB dongle, configure as a network bridge, monitor the data, and run a simple script.

Thank you for this, nincehelser!

Obviously have much to learn.  Will have to study this.

Will be interesting to see what updates/improvements AcuRite makes over the coming months.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:45:34 PM by Jaxon »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 08:50:05 PM »
That makes a total of 3 sensors, right?  ...the 5n1 and two indoor temp sensors. 
So I should be able to send ALL 3 sensors up to the Acu-Link website, correct?

Yes, with the current system.

The 3-sensor limit is somewhat artificial and is imposed on the MBW side.  If you can code for yourself, you can go beyond the 3-device limit locally with the bridge (it just forwards data from any compatible device it "hears").

Who knows what the limit will be with the new system?  I'm hoping they go beyond 3 sensors.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:05:11 PM by nincehelser »

Online Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 09:17:06 PM »

Thank you for this, nincehelser!

Obviously have much to learn.  Will have to study this.

Will be interesting to see what updates/improvements AcuRite makes over the coming months.

Great purchase! looks about the same one I got. Really enjoying my 5-1 only complain is with high temps
 " sometimes " but other then that I love it placement is essential. I have aculink bridge connected to meteobridge. Cant wait for new MBW features coming.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 01:25:27 PM »
George, can you expand on what changes are coming?  Is this from inside knowledge or did AcuRite publish an announcement about it?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 01:42:13 PM »
George, can you expand on what changes are coming?  Is this from inside knowledge or did AcuRite publish an announcement about it?

There haven't been any more announcements, but things are moving along. 

That's all I can say for now.  ;)

Some new things in their catalog, though:

https://www.acurite.com/wireless-signal-extender-for-acurite-sensors.html

https://www.acurite.com/remote-battery-pack-for-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 01:50:44 PM »
Ehh those don't really excite me too much.  A dependable dual panel solar panel, software upgrades to MBW, and more frequent updates to weather websites without having to use 3rd party software are what would excite me. 

Online Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 08:02:04 PM »
Ehh those don't really excite me too much.  A dependable dual panel solar panel, software upgrades to MBW, and more frequent updates to weather websites without having to use 3rd party software are what would excite me.

This!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 08:05:38 PM »
That doesn't seem to be quite the issue it was last year, but who knows?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 08:34:42 PM »
Like I posted in another forum awhile back, my father got the "new" dual panel and reads 3-4 degrees high in sunlight. It is still an issue just not the 8+ degrees it was before.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 08:54:29 PM »
Like I posted in another forum awhile back, my father got the "new" dual panel and reads 3-4 degrees high in sunlight. It is still an issue just not the 8+ degrees it was before.

Then call it in for warranty if you think that's the problem. 

I certainly would.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 09:01:49 PM »
He did. They took it back, did their thing and returned it. No change.

Online Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 09:03:19 PM »
Same here I returned for new double solar panel but still issues 2-3 sometimes degrees spike only afternoon.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 09:07:15 PM »
He did. They took it back, did their thing and returned it. No change.

Usually they just send people an upgraded fan without you having to return anything.

You got the unit with the red/white wires?