Author Topic: iOS emulator for Windows  (Read 2104 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
iOS emulator for Windows
« on: April 10, 2019, 01:42:06 PM »
Long shot posting here I know, but let's try:

I'm wondering if there's an iOS emulator for Windows that definitely provides access to the Apple app store? So much of what's already online seems to be very contradictory, eg iPadian both definitely can and definitely cannot! Free would be good, at least as a trial but modest cost would be OK too but less interested in one of the professional developer products that's $100 up and (much) more.

Oh and this is a weather related question, at least in a roundabout way!
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: iOS emulator for Windows
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 03:22:48 PM »
https://twitgoo.com/best-ios-emulators/

I think the biggest issue is that extra clause you added, of requiring access to the Apple Store. I don't know that any emulator can do that. Emulators are for developers to do their coding and testing and then they can publish their app to the Apple Store. I'm not sure that it works the other way around. I suppose you can use other methods of attaining apps then then also use an emulator which some people do. Kind of like having a jailbroken phone so that you can load apps not from the Apple Store. I haven't tested any of these. I'm an IT guy but I deal mostly with Android. I deal with iOS only because I have to.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 03:27:26 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 04:50:14 PM »
Sorry, that was a bit cryptic - I should have explained a bit more. What I'm interested in is whether there is any way to run the Davis Weatherlink app (either iOS or Android) under Windows. The app store qualification was there because the only way I can think of loading the app is from the app store.

But maybe to approach from a different angle: Could there be a Chrome extension that allows Android apps to run, if you can find a way of loading them.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 06:38:18 PM »
For Android a popular emulator is called Bluestacks:
https://www.bluestacks.com/blog/bluestacks-exclusives/how-to-install-bluestacks-windows-10.html

Then you'll need the apk file to install the app because it may or may not work from the Google Play Store. Even still there may be app compatibility issues. There are several (dark) places on the Internet to get apk files if the Play Store doesn't work. For example here below is one place (there are other places too but we are starting to get into partially questionable ethics here). Even still I can't fully endorse this because it can't be full trusted as it could contain viruses. If you don't get apps from the Google Play Store or from the Apple App Store then you are playing with fire so do so at your own risk. On Android you'll have to enable Unknown Sources but on iOS you'll have to jailbreak and that is a bigger risk. With Android there is a bit of solace because the newest versions of Android scan unknown source apk installs for potential exploits....but it isn't 100%. Well neither is the Play Store 100% safe either...but you understand.

So with all that out of the way here is an example of getting the apk file from another source:
https://apkpure.com/weatherlink/com.davisinstruments.weatherlink

For Apple there is Cydia and the dark web (torrents ..etc):
https://cydia-app.com/
But things are changing:
https://www.lifewire.com/cydia-iphone-1999551

But I wouldn't recommend any of this for your customers on your website. Too many risks, too many hurdles, too much technical expertise and complexity, and riddled with compromises. Okay for you to do on your own though I suppose.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:46:59 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 11:36:59 AM »
But maybe to approach from a different angle: Could there be a Chrome extension that allows Android apps to run, if you can find a way of loading them.

John, rather than relying on a Chrome extension you would be better off to install BlueStacks (as previously suggested) and then go to Google Play and download/install the WeatherLink app.

I have been using BlueStacks on and off - the new version (4.70.0.1103) is quite fast and produces good results.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:41:12 AM by R_o_B »
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
John (and all other users), I can confirm that I can run the Android version of the 'WeatherLink' app in the latest release of the 'BlueStacks App Player' for Microsoft Windows (v 40.70.0.1103) (also available for Apple macOS).

R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net