Author Topic: ws 2350 ground (common) wire on sensors/connectors  (Read 2514 times)

Offline liv

ws 2350 ground (common) wire on sensors/connectors
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:26:35 AM »
I plan to buy La Crosse 2350 and accordingly replaced all the cables with STP cable. Is there a reliable way to find out which is the ground (common) wire on wind sensor and rain gauge since it is possible that the wire colors are not all the same at all sensors/stations.  Actually I am interested about wire lay out on rj connectors on all three sensors. Thanks

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: ws 2350 ground (common) wire on sensors/connectors
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 04:17:39 AM »
This link may help with the wind sensor wiring. If you look closely at the circuit board image you can see that the wires are designated 1 Serial, 2 VDD, 3 Regulator, 4 Gnd. (I believe 'Regulator' is clock).

The rain gauge is just a reed switch connected across the outer 2 wires (black and yellow) and the remaining 2 wires (red and green) aren't connected to anything.

Sorry I don't have the console to T/H sensor info.

Offline liv

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »
DanS thanks for your answer. I've seen pictures and web site already. I thought of the possibility of knowing anemometer ground wire without dismantling it. For example, on thermo / hygro connector for anemometer maybe I can measure the voltage for wind sensor, and perhaps it should  be on two external wires?.....or something like that? All this under condition the hygro / temp sensor is connected (cabled) to the Indoor unit?.....

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
" I thought of the possibility of knowing anemometer ground wire without dismantling it.  "

If I understand what you're asking correctly, can't you use the website pictures to get this information?  black serial data,  red power, green regulator, yellow ground. By looking at the wind sensor's cable at the t/h sensor end you can see where power, ground, data, and clock go in and their position in the rj-11 jack.

" All this under condition the hygro / temp sensor is connected (cabled) to the Indoor unit?....."

Whether it's cabled to the indoor unit or running wireless you should have the same voltage on the same pin. Cabled or wireless there should be just over 3 vdc present.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:23:35 PM by DanS »

Offline liv

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 10:23:12 AM »
DanS, I agree with everything you wrote, but could wire color be a relevant factor by which we decide which wire is which?