Author Topic: La Cross Junk  (Read 14475 times)

Offline ke4d

La Cross Junk
« on: December 19, 2012, 06:32:56 PM »
La Cross 2812 I just ordered my 4th anemometer.  This will be my last one from these guys. My weather station has been up for three years. I've replaced the anemometer three times and the hydro/thermometer once.  I'm getting pretty close to the cost of a Davis Station!  These guys sell junk.

Offline Albuquerque Weather

• Senior Contributor
    • Albuquerque Amateur Weather
Re: La Cross Junk
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
Just a note to say - I have had my 2308 for almost 6 years and have not replaced anything - it is still original parts. Hope this comment doesnt jinx it.

Ron

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
Just a note to say - I have had my 2308 for almost 6 years and have not replaced anything - it is still original parts. Hope this comment doesnt jinx it.

Ron

Maybe my comment will help lesson your jinx chances as my 2310 has also been running, with nothing new needed but have done some mods to it, for about 6 years.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:22 PM »
Maybe my comment will help lesson your jinx chances as my 2310 has also been running, with nothing new needed but have done some mods to it, for about 6 years.

Perhaps your station has performed so well for so long because it's in a tropical paradise?   :-k
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »

Perhaps your station has performed so well for so long because it's in a tropical paradise?   :-k

Not sure about that but I do know there's something to say for anything that can withstand the intensity of the sun over here. If my 2810 holds up as well after 6 years I'll be happy (so far so good with it also).

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 12:17:52 AM »
Most weather stations require some maintenance and repair over time, just check each of the station threads.  Well... okay some more than others.

Dan, I think from what I have read you have given your weather station some tender loving care and it has repaid you back.

ke4d, if/when you get your Davis I hope it will be reliable and you can enjoy it for many years...

Paul

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 09:27:41 AM »
My interest in weather stations began with a wireless Lacrosse rain gauge.  Absolute junk that would not maintain a wireless signal, much less than work sitting on the kitchen counter just feet apart.  Returned 3 of them under warranty until I gave up and bought a Davis vp2. Couldn't be happier.  One of the only things in my life that doesn't constantly break down.

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
    • Μeteo station Peristeri Athens - Greece
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 04:34:23 PM »
Ι do not have La Crosse 2812
But only like a information ,i have a La crosse 2300  ten years and work fine,i had change the anemometer at 6 years from normal deterioration at ball bearing,and one reed switch at rain gauge at 7 years.
Best regards from Greece
Dimitris
http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/index.html

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 01:18:11 PM »
Next month (Jan13) will be 3 years running for my 2810.  Did have some 'sync' and wind sensor problems at first which caused me to return the first unit to Costco.  After that, with the 2nd unit I've only had a few battery change outs and some sync efforts, things have since settled down.

Offline cfuller57

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 08:58:42 AM »
I feel your pain! I have a 2813U-IT I bought back in April. I have had issues with the Wind Vain since I got it. Now it stops transmitting in about 3 days. So I asked for a Warranty RMA, and got back a Cut & Paste of the T/S steps from the manual. Even though I had put in my request I had done all that. Needless to say, that PVed me off, and I told them about it! Next thing I get is a request of all the information they needed. Sent that back. Next thing they said they had not received it, sent it again due to Cox.net had Email issues and gave them the benifet of doubt. Next thing I get, is the same request. Sent back a not so nice reply this was the 3rd time I have sent it. Next thing I get is the units are TOO Close??? They need to be at least 5ft apart. No where in the T/S, or other Documentation says this. I have the Wind Vain, Rain Bucket, and Hydro/ Transmitter mounted on a 10ft pole. The Rain Bucket is 4 inches from the Hydro Meter and they work just fine. WV is 3ft above them. So I now have moved it, per their instructions, 5ft away, and reset it. It has been 3 days now, but the first time it stopped working was about 3 months, then went to 2 weeks, then to 3 days. So if it craps out this time I'm going to return it to them. It's like they are waiting for the Warranty to run out, so they don't have to replace it for free....

La Cross 2812 I just ordered my 4th anemometer.  This will be my last one from these guys. My weather station has been up for three years. I've replaced the anemometer three times and the hydro/thermometer once.  I'm getting pretty close to the cost of a Davis Station!  These guys sell junk.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »

My opinion is that if you see yourself maintaining a weather station over the next 5 to 10 years, my advice is to get a Davis. While the upfront cost may be sticker shock, think about the hours spent debugging problems, bogus data, etc.

I am pretty sure this is my 7th year with a Pro unit and the most I have done was replace the outdoor rechargeable battery when I received the low battery indicator.

That is about it.

They are like the old Maytag commercials, they just keep going and going...

Offline Sigdigit

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »
5 years with my Davis VP2 and all I've ever had to do is replace the transmitter battery.  Original battery lasted nearly 4 years.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 12:37:59 PM »
I got three words for the La Crosse station I have now... junk, Junk and JUNK!!!

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 12:42:09 PM »
And.......... to top it all off their customer service SUCKS!!! Who ever heard of a weather stations software that does not register the maximum gust of wind in the records besides on the main display? Here is the reply I received from C/S back in mid-July...

"Please refer to this case in all future correspondence.
Regarding Model Number: WS-2811BRN-IT
With regard to the following from your email: "is there an update available or possibly come up with one that catches that maximum wind GUST and sends it out there for all to see?"
There is no update that will have a wind gust reporting function. Your suggestion has been noted for future possible consideration,
For efficient processing when responding to this e-mail please use your email program's "Reply" option to maintain the email thread. Please do not change the subject line of your email.
If you have not already done so, please provide your full name and contact information. This will enable us to serve you better and more efficiently.

Regards,
Technical Support Representative
La Crosse Technology Ltd.
2817 Losey Boulevard S
La Crosse, WI 54601
www.lacrossetechnology.com/support

And guess what, no update yet available!!! I have several expletives I can use to describe their C/S but they'd get me booted off here for sure!!!

Offline Calgary Weather

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 03:55:04 PM »
I bought a 2812 in August 2012. It was very easy to install and has so far performed almost flawlessy since, including through a spell of -25C weather. I say almost flawlessly because every few weeks the anemometer signal is lost for approx 6 hours at a time. I have no idea why.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
I bought a 2812 in August 2012. It was very easy to install and has so far performed almost flawlessy since, including through a spell of -25C weather. I say almost flawlessly because every few weeks the anemometer signal is lost for approx 6 hours at a time. I have no idea why.

I've found that thermo/hygros antenna pattern, or 'field of view' is not uniform in all directions but elongated in some directions (see attached).
My 2810 is mounted (since Dec. 2009) in a home made radiation shield that allows me to rotate it 360 degrees on a horizontal plane. I experienced the wind sensor drop-outs you mentioned until I found where turning the thermo/hygro sensor little by little provided 'sweet spots'. This is where the antenna connection was happy. Zero drop-outs since. Your setup may be very close and with fresh batteries will run for the weeks you're getting and as the batteries wear the marginal signal starts decaying enough for the drop-outs to start.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 06:39:51 PM by DanS »

Offline Calgary Weather

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:49 PM »

I've found that thermo/hygros antenna pattern, or 'field of view' is not uniform in all directions but elongated in some directions (see attached).
My 2810 is mounted (since Dec. 2009) in a home made radiation shield that allows me to rotate it 360 degrees on a horizontal plane. I experienced the wind sensor drop-outs you mentioned until I found where turning the thermo/hygro sensor little by little provided 'sweet spots'. This is where the antenna connection was happy. Zero drop-outs since. Your setup may be very close and with fresh batteries will run for the weeks you're getting and as the batteries wear the marginal signal starts decaying enough for the drop-outs to start.

Thanks for the reply and interest. Curiously the signal drop-offs typically occur in mild weather after a cold spell (the only thing approaching a pattern that I can see). I would have expected any battery issues to occur during extreme cold when the batteries are more stressed? La Crosse have indicated it be interference from another device - I'll buy that until I hear a better theory?

Offline weather1967

• Senior Contributor
    • Μeteo station Peristeri Athens - Greece
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 10:12:01 AM »

Hi
Your anemometer it work with rechargeable alkaline batteries with solar panel ,do you have observe this happen (stop signal for 6 hours) is the days with clouds in the sky (without sun) or is night ?
If yes ,then possible the rechargeable alkaline batteries  it have not good and must replace it (batteries do not charge well) ,if you have a multimeter at voltage dc you can measurements the batteries if it is 1,5 volt everyone .
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:14:55 AM by weather1967 »
Best regards from Greece
Dimitris
http://users.otenet.gr/~meteo/index.html

Offline Calgary Weather

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 05:18:45 PM »
Hi Dimitris, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned , the signal dropoffs seems to occur most often in warm weather after a cold spell - can be anytime, day or night. La Crosse have indicated it is probably caused by interference from another device - if it gets worse I shall certainly investigate further.

Offline wuhu_software

• Forecaster
    • WUHU Software Yahoo Group
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »

I agree with all of the other comments about Davis being the way to go. I do not even recall how many years I have had mine going. I also replaced a $5 battery in the ISS over many years.

It just runs. Day in, day out, month after month and rarely if ever produces any bad data.

You can monkey around with these lower end stations to save a few bucks but in the end, I think you are losing money.

For a lower cost alternative to the VP2 with logger, consider the Vue. Everyone I have spoken with is happy with that purchase.

Personally I like the VP for the solar sensors (get those when you buy) and also the additional remote temperature sensors that are very nice and also work flawlessly.

In the long run you will save money and produce higher quality data.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »

I agree with all of the other comments about Davis being the way to go. I do not even recall how many years I have had mine going. I also replaced a $5 battery in the ISS over many years.

...kinda like a Rainwise. =D>

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 10:54:18 PM »
My first Lacrosse station should have been my last. I've had pretty good luck with most stations and brands. Lacrosse is the only brand of weather station I've really have issues with. Basically the same problems everyone else has had. My last Lacrosse station died about a year or 2 ago and that's it. Lacrosse won't see another penny from me.

I 2nd everyone else in that Davis is the smart choice. My Vantage Pro2 has survived what would trash any other lower cost station. The quality of Davis stations speaks for it's self.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline hewy

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 10:17:35 AM »
I've had my La crosse 2315 for 8 years and had to replace 1 hygrometer and that was due to a lightning strike everything else still works .
I would say thats a pretty good track record!
IF ALL ELSE FAILS,STOP USING ALL ELSE  #-o

Offline hewy

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
HA!
Buy a davis you mean rent one you never finish buying a davis they nickle and dime you to death charging you for every little nut,bolt and screw!they charge you extra for things that come included with most other stations all your really getting is the prestige of a name ,but if thats what's really important to you who am I to keep you from wasting your money!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
HA!
Buy a davis you mean rent one you never finish buying a davis they nickle and dime you to death charging you for every little nut,bolt and screw!they charge you extra for things that come included with most other stations all your really getting is the prestige of a name
I will respectfully disagree with your comment.  Yes I did buy my Davis with the data logger extra because I wanted to connect my station to my computer, and also an envoy because I wanted my console in a specific place, and I knew that would be part of my initial buying cost.  I know others use theirs without connecting to a computer so they did not have to pay for something they didn't want/need, but can buy it any time they want.  However I have not yet had to spend any other $ (or nickel or cent) except to buy a new ISS battery, and I have gotten various support from Davis without any additional cost.

I am very happy that you have had great success with your La Crosse station, and from the postings on the forum others have as well.

Paul