Author Topic: A detailed tour of my weather station.  (Read 4306 times)

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
A detailed tour of my weather station.
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:58:11 PM »
I've just about finished the long and tedious task of getting my weather station completed. Several folks have toured my site and several have mentioned that I need to include some photos, so here it is;

My station is located on my private airstrip on my ranch in Texas. It sits about 1/2 mile from my house. I use a Davis Vantage Pro2 as my primary weather data source. For software I recently switched to Weather Display and I have coded my own webpage in just plain HTML. It's simple and it works. The Weather Display software is very detailed and very flexible in it's capabilities, and I am happy so far, as it seems stable on my equipment.

The tower is roughly 40 feet high and it has mounted the windsock, the anemometer, and the Ubiquity Nano-station that connects to the computer back at the house. I have split up the ISS into separate components and the main ISS board sits on the tower about 15ft. high. Amazingly it transmits 1/2 mile through the trees and obstructions to the console at the house with a reception of around 94% year round.

I built the Stevenson Screen housing from a window shutter. Inside you can see the Davis temp/humidity sensor. I have a wet and dry lab grade thermometer set but it has not been permanently installed yet on the rack inside. I would love to find a clock style barometer to put inside also. The screen was not difficult to build and it does it's job well. I ran some extensive comparison tests with the sensors inside and out and compared the readings to the lab thermometers and it does definitely make the Davis equipment more stable and accurate. The cable length from the sensor to the ISS board is about 35 feet and no issues have occurred.

I also separated the Davis rain gauge and built my own Alter shield. I used a galvanized ring from an old fishing net and the blades are plastic gutter downspout that I ripped on my table saw. The biggest issue so far has been with my cows messing with it out of curiosity I suppose.

The webcam gets it's power and net link from a rather complicated solar power setup that I designed and built. Most of my home is solar powered and I built that several years ago, so I figured that I would build a mini system for the camera. The Ubiquity equipment and the camera are both running off of 12vDC and this is stabilized by using a buck style converter after the charge controller. The batteries are gel cell and the whole setup will run for 4 days and nights of no sunshine. I've yet to have a shutdown, as even on cloudy days the battery gets a full charge. The whole setup only pulls .5 amps so there is plenty of reserve power for rainy weather. The stainless box I found in a local scrap yard. It was originally a traffic signal box and it's well made, waterproof, and has a vent fan built in. I got lucky when I found that!

You can see the web page live at http://www.texasriverdata.com/weather/wx.html and watch my cows destroy the Alter Shield in their spare time on the web cam!
Bud
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:19:07 PM by flyingvranch »

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Re: A detailed tour of my weather station.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 03:20:05 PM »
Nice!
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:28:08 PM »
Very!

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 03:56:13 PM »
+1

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:53:06 PM »
That's great!  Kind of has an old school look to it.   =D>
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 01:04:56 AM »

My station is located on my private airstrip on my ranch in Texas.

Do you have a plane that you need an airstrip for? Just curious always have been interested in aviation.

Andy
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 09:13:31 AM »
Love the Stevenson screen and tower very nice. I had what was called Cotton Region type which was full size for many years. The main issue with this type is its delayed reaction time of several minutes if fast temperature changes occur.
The fan aspirated Davis is accurate and has much quicker reaction time to temperature changes if its critical.

Here are couple reviews done in UK on strengths and weakness of both the Vue and VP2 (unfortunately he didn't do the fan aspirated version). Temperature comparisons were done with the Stevenson screen. The Vue and VP2 preformed poorly with rain. The Vue performed poorly with temperature, with insufficient radiation shielding, Off by +1-2C daytime and over cooling -1C at night. But the VP2 performed excellent with temperature even the non aspirated shield.

http://measuringtheweather.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Davis-Vantage-Pro2-AWS-review-2009-c-Stephen-Burt.pdf

http://measuringtheweather.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Stephen-Burt-Davis-Instruments-Vantage-Vue-review-Sept-2013-c-Stephen-Burt.pdf

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:19:29 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 09:29:09 AM »
Amazing what some knowledge, effort and commitment can accomplish.  Well done,
p.s. I didn't see any cows...
Paul

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »

Do you have a plane that you need an airstrip for? Just curious always have been interested in aviation.

Andy

I have been interested in airplanes since I was a small kid. I learned to fly before I learned to drive. :) I have owned several airplanes over the years, but I am currently plane-less at the moment. That is subject to change at any time! I also build and fly large radio control airplanes and the airstrip is great for that also of course.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
Bud

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »
I used to fly rc airplanes also until I had to quit due to some eye problems really enjoyed it. saw this video on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nzKPtQOzCg of an awesome very large Boeing 747 cant imagine the work that went into that.

Andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
After my own struggles with remote monitoring of our local Marina's ISS I am quite amazed by your results.

The tower is roughly 40 feet high and it has mounted the windsock, the anemometer, and the Ubiquity Nano-station that connects to the computer back at the house. I have split up the ISS into separate components and the main ISS board sits on the tower about 15ft. high. Amazingly it transmits 1/2 mile through the trees and obstructions to the console at the house with a reception of around 94% year round.

Is this data transmission via the Ubiquity, or is it the Davis ISS transmitting to the console in the house? If it is just the Davis, are you running a long-range repeater with a Yagi antenna? I am not clear on what the Ubiquity does out at the station location. Is it just for the camera?

I am 2,000 feet away from the local Marina. There is a heavily wooded lot, houses and some scattered additional trees in the path between the Marina ISS my Yagi/Repeater setup. I found that reception was quite marginal and I improved it by adding a micro-circuits pre-amp between the Yagi and repeater.

This works well enough during dry weather, but any significant rain fall that can wet the foliage basically kills the signal and I don't receive anything until it all dries out.

If you are receiving the ISS signal in a console in your house through trees with no repeater, I am astounded at this result. What happens after a rainfall, do you lose the signal? What is the density of the trees?

I do have one problem that is out of my control. The Marina positioned the ISS antenna horizontally and the tip of the antenna is basically pointed right at me. (Their console is directly below the station, so this is probably why they did this). I know that I am losing several dB just from this from walking around their ISS with my RF Explorer.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline flyingvranch

• Contributor
    • KI5OMM Weather Station
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »
Greg,
The Ubiquity is just used to transmit the IP camera images and is entirely separate from the Davis equip. The ISS board is mounted on the tower at about 15 feet high. From there it transmits through the air across the clear pasture about 2500 feet before the first treeline. The signal then passes through the trees (pretty dense) about a thousand feet or so and then through the window and to the console sitting on my window ledge. I am just using the stock antennas with no repeaters or yagi setups... Initially I did have to walk around with the console to various places in the yard to find the best signal. I suspect the houses in your path are the main culprit. You may have to leave your console someplace for the best reception and then do as I did and make a 100ft wire extension from the data logger to your computer. I rarely ever look at the console anyway, as I have Weather Display running all the time and I look at that instead.

Another option since it sounds like you are comfortable with electronics would be to remove the stock antenna and mount it up high on your roof or something like that with perhaps an old satellite dish directly behind it to amplify any weak signal. I've seen the Ubiquity folks do that quite often. My Ubiquity Nano stations have no trouble talking with each other and in fact I have excellent WiFi network coverage out at the tower location on the runway and even at the front entrance gate which is over a mile away!
Bud

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 04:38:53 PM »
lyingvranch, very nice setup.  Having a nice level area to work away from trees and other obstructions makes me envious.   :lol:

I do have one problem that is out of my control. The Marina positioned the ISS antenna horizontally and the tip of the antenna is basically pointed right at me. (Their console is directly below the station, so this is probably why they did this). I know that I am losing several dB just from this from walking around their ISS with my RF Explorer.

Ordinarily I'd say you'd be losing several tens of dB being right off the tip of an antenna.  Surely their console is close enough that the antenna could be positioned to favor your station more.  Unless you're not allowed to mess with their equipment, of course.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:40:32 PM by N0NB »

anything