Author Topic: VantagePro 2 Pipe Size  (Read 3026 times)

Offline brahuna

VantagePro 2 Pipe Size
« on: April 30, 2008, 09:23:22 PM »
I just bought a VantagePro 2, and I was wondering what size pipe it needs to mount on.  I plan on installing it this weekend.  Thanks!

Offline TNETWeather

• Kevin Reed (KrelvinAZ)
  • Senior Contributor
  • Davis Vantage Pro2+ with full FARS
Re: VantagePro 2 Pipe Size
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 10:15:56 PM »
I used a wooden post rather than a pipe.

The manual for the unit has the size of the clamps it comes with so anything up to that size.
All you need is Time, Aptitude and Desire ... and you can build just about anything...

Offline brahuna

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:24:34 PM »
I will check the manual.  I haven't taken it out of the box yet.  Thanks!

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
I mounted mine on a standard 2 3/8" x 8' chain link fence terminal post set 2' in the ground. Don't use anything smaller or the ISS will move around in the wind. (I found this out the hard way.) I dug a 30" deep post hole and put 6" of gravel in the bottom for drainage.  I set the post and filled the rest of the hole with post setting concrete. Make sure the pipe is plumb or the performance of the rain collector will be affected. You will need a U-bolt.

Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 11:17:11 AM »
I am using 2 1/2 inch pvc clamped to the side of the garage. This is just to get up and running. The clamps allow me to pull the pole down for easier service. Roof mount is out because of getting a new roof this spring. Also my neighborhood is trying to be part of a "hysterical" (historical) district and the tripod mount on the roof would not look good. The u-bolts fit around the 2 1/2" pvc pipe just fine. Tested the pole and get no sway at the top. The pipe is 12' . I went with PVC because I didn't want to set up a nice lightning rod (hmmm now there is a thought) next to the old garage. I am going to set up a separate mount later this summer when I can get an idea of the best spot to place the ISS. I also am working on getting a PTZ weather cam and I want it all on the same pole.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
My old station was hit by lightning.  It was attached to a metal pole and was not grounded.  It was an old wired set up and came in the room.

Here is the story on my site.

http://www.rdale.k12.mn.us/classroom_connections/web_folders/david_reynolds/Files/weather/about.htm

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.