Author Topic: height of some of these stations are rediculous?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
height of some of these stations are rediculous?
« on: February 11, 2016, 02:51:02 PM »
I understand if you have separate sensors to go up high, but if you have a Davis Vantage Vue, al crosse, Ambient, etc where you cannot separate the sensors, the heights of some of these stations  are miles to high to getting any accurate readings other than wind only, so what's the point?

To get the most out of these stations no more than 10 feet seems to be the sweet spot.

Your not going to get accurate wind speeds, but your going to get better overall weather and readings and make better use of your station by no more than 10 feet.

Also as these need cleaning often makes cleaning easy as well as battery changes.

Makes me laugh many of the photo here with a Davis Vue on a roof or 30 up, will be totally Inaccurate and tube swaying in wind effects and sets the rain gauge off.

I don't have any ideal location for mine, but not going on th roof as the temps and rain will be miles off, but wind speed won't be accurate.

Would rather make use of temp and rain ad well as a more accurate  general for cast than just measure wind.

So would rather have a station 80% more accurate then something only about 20% accurate because it's to high for what it's designed  for

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: height of some of these stations are rediculous?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
That's one reason I don't want a consolidated unit.  The wind sensor needs to be near 30', but everything else needs to be lower.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:19:58 PM »
Unsolvable problem - unless you get a station with separate sensors.

Offline Dennis Rogers

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 03:35:36 PM »
It's a matter of compromise and get tge best value for money with these sort of stations at 10 feet or less.

Else your just maybe getting 10% use, what a waste of money. Better of getting an 80% use by going no more than 10 feet.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 03:44:21 PM »
The Vue does have a workaround for those concerned, you can mount sensor suite at ground level and add the wireless anemometer from VP2.
I think when Davis came out with the all-in-one, it opened the market with affordable units (higher quality) for those not wanting to spend a bundle, plus appeals to those with limited mounting solutions or just not wanting multiple instruments on the property. Sometimes the boss just says NO.

Many here are the exception when it comes to weather stations but the majority of customers install stations for personal use and that's the end of interest other than occasional glance at conditions. 

Davis at least understood many wanted the separate sensors so the VP2 is available for the enthusiasts.   
Randy

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
My WS-1001 clone is at 5.5m. The rain gauge is only off when it is extremely windy. However, I have a self-tipping rain gauge and a manual gauge at ground level, they have identical readings when it rains here. If my 1001 under-reads, I just correct it to the ground gauges I have, job done.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 03:56:41 PM »
My WS-1001 clone is at 5.5m. The rain gauge is only off when it is extremely windy. However, I have a self-tipping rain gauge and a manual gauge at ground level, they have identical readings when it rains here. If my 1001 under-reads, I just correct it to the ground gauges I have, job done.

Another good option I would recommend for all is having a 4" diameter Cocorahs style gauge if you want to know how much it really rained.
These only run $36 on Amazon or from the Cocorahs store. No excuses not having one and will surprise many especially if all you've relied on is the tipping bucket rain gauge. You may even be shocked  :shock:
Randy

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 06:15:55 PM »

Another good option I would recommend for all is having a 4" diameter Cocorahs style gauge if you want to know how much it really rained.
These only run $36 on Amazon or from the Cocorahs store. No excuses not having one and will surprise many especially if all you've relied on is the tipping bucket rain gauge. You may even be shocked  :shock:

Absolutely! I can't get hold of one of those here, but I have a very similar one: http://www.metcheck.co.uk/acatalog/CM1016.html?gclid=CLLFvtHr8MoCFcWVGwod1sIETg

anything