Author Topic: Storm Target  (Read 3677 times)

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
Storm Target
« on: January 09, 2016, 02:46:33 AM »
Instead of derailing the other thread I thought I would create a new thread for the discussion of this software as I think it is very deserving of its own thread. I am not the developer of this software. The developer is on here as rmfleck80 and has created a very impressive application built by a chaser for chasers/spotters. Even though it is based around chasers/spotter I do see this could be a direct replacement for Interwarn and used in a home, business or EOC setting as well. So this thread is being created for further discussion for this application as it seems like a solid and well developed application that is aesthetically eye pleasing and easy to navigate and use with many great features and according to the developer more features in the works. Website is very nicely designed and laid out and very informative of the product. I am not related to this application and do not gain anything from this posting. Just thought I would share it as it was shared in another post and thought it was deserving of its own post.

Storm Target

The developer has a video of it's completely functionality on the website as well. The direct link to the video on the website is below.

Video Overview

As detailed as the video above is there has been some great additions added to it since the video was appeared to have been made. You can see the change log with the further additions from the link below.

Release Info/Added Features/Change Log

Offline rmfleck80

Re: Storm Target
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 03:01:13 PM »
MesquiteWx, thanks for starting a dedicated Storm Target thread!

I've been developing Storm Target for well over a year and went live late last chase season. I developed the program to solve problems I've faced while chasing storms in the plains. Things like missing mesoscale discussions, being too busy in the heat of a chase to read some text products, constantly having to keep an eye on my cell data usage, having to check multiple websites for the info I used most, etc. Storm Target is the answer for me personally and I think others could benefit from it as well. I use the program on every chase and continue to develop and add features based on my personal experiences and suggestions from peers.

More information and a free trial download can be found at http://stormtarget.com

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:54:05 PM »
Not a problem, I think it is a great application and every chaser/spotter needs it. It's like a chaser/spotters Swiss army knife kind of application.

I like that data monitor as I stream on TVN so that is just one of the MANY useful features I like.

About the GPS radius feature. Will that pull from the nearest WFO regardless if you have it configured to poll from?

I am having one small error. I am not sure which one it is throwing the error since I am not sure where to find an error log. I have cleared the cache and uninstalled and reinstalled and I get this error that is shown in the screenshots attach. Any suggestions on what might cause this?

Oh and about the push alerts. I set those up on my phone through my email to push a notification when I receive an email from my alerts email that is through my domain on my phone. That is why I was requesting the email option so that I could get push notifications with new emails on my phone.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:04:17 PM by MesquiteWx »

Offline WB9GCV

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 04:21:17 PM »
I just installed the 'Trial' and I'm getting a dialog box stating ' Starting Database Maintenance'

I see nothing happening in the 'Progress Meter' of that dialog box - I've already force killed the process once in the TaskManager...

Any ideas or does this setup step (whatever it is) take awhile, and I'm not being patient enough ?

EDIT: On restart the Database thing came up again, so I proceeded to set up the program.  I opened the screen in the screenshot to looks at settings, and now I can't close that window, nor do anything else in the program...

« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 04:29:13 PM by WB9GCV »

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 04:27:30 PM »
I just installed the 'Trial' and I'm getting a dialog box stating ' Starting Database Maintenance'

I see nothing happening in the 'Progress Meter' of that dialog box - I've already force killed the process once in the TaskManager...

Any ideas or does this setup step (whatever it is) take awhile, and I'm not being patient enough ?

That happened to me too and I waited awhile and still nothing happened so I killed it.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the errors I am getting. I am wondering if the database didn't get built properly.

Offline WB9GCV

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:49:37 PM »
Three strikes already and done.  Also getting those error encountered messages after setting the messages to show text.

I also note that some of the dialog boxes do not show the 'Save&Close' ''Cancel' buttons unless I make the dialog box go maximized. 

Due to my poor old eyes I have the system, win7 x64 set for 125%.  I suspect this setting is causing issues with the Dialog boxes, as I see the same thing with Interwarn when trying to display maps, its all whacked up and useless and larger DPI settings on the system.

Offline rmfleck80

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 05:04:03 PM »
I suspect the issues are related to the database not getting created successfully. I'll look into the issues and let you know what I find.

Offline tweatherman

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 08:27:09 PM »
Program doesn't work in winxp 64 bit I suppose?

tweatherman

Offline rmfleck80

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:07:58 PM »
tweatherman, it hasn't been tested on XP and isn't officially supported but it may work. As of right now Windows 7, 8, and 10 are the only officially supported platforms.

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 02:33:13 AM »
Program doesn't work in winxp 64 bit I suppose?

tweatherman

Also keep in mind as of April 8, 2014 Microsoft no longer supports XP. So while you may find some programs that will still work on XP. There may be others that will not since it is a depreciated OS and many more will come incompatible in the future as many developers are developing around newer and supported operating systems. So you may find more and more problems with running newer applications or finding updates for older ones not supporting XP as they can't be expected to support a depreciated OS.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

Offline WB9GCV

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 06:25:47 AM »
Is it expected the Forecast discussion report is truncated ?  I'm only seeing the portion labeled 'synopsis' , I'm not seeing the Near term, Aviation etc...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
555 AM EST FRI JAN 15 2016

.UPDATE...
AVIATION SECTION HAS BEEN UPDATED BELOW

.SYNOPSIS...
ISSUED AT 326 AM EST FRI JAN 15 2016

AN ACTIVE PATTERN WILL CONTINUE ACROSS THE AREA WITH RAIN EXPECTED
TODAY AND A CHANGOVER TO LIGHT SNOW TONIGHT. AFTER SOME FLURRIES
SATURDAY AN ARCTIC FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH SUNDAY DECREASING
TEMPERATURES AND BRINGING MORE CHANCES FOR LIGHT SNOW TO THE AREA.
DRY COLD WEATHER EARLY IN THE WEEK WILL GIVE WAY TO MORE CHANCES
FOR SNOW STARTING TUESDAY NIGHT AND RUNNING THROUGH THE END OF THE
WEEK.

Offline rmfleck80

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 12:06:25 PM »
WB9GCV, I believe the forecast discussions currently truncate at the second "&&" in the report. I'll have to verify that but I believe that is the case. Based on where Indy is putting the && I'll be making a change in the next release.

Offline WB9GCV

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 05:08:05 PM »
WB9GCV, I believe the forecast discussions currently truncate at the second "&&" in the report. I'll have to verify that but I believe that is the case. Based on where Indy is putting the && I'll be making a change in the next release.

Thanks

Offline rmfleck80

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 05:46:26 PM »
WB9GCV, the issue with forecast discussion truncating has been resolved in version 1.0.8.

Also, for anyone having issues with the initial database creation, that issue was fixed in version 1.0.7.

I've received many great recommendations and requests from everyone and should be able to work in many of them into future releases.

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »
I'm doing IT work for http://www.thebrww.org. I recently rebuilt their website. They've been using Interwarn for alerts. How much would it cost them to transition to Storm Target? I think they'd need it on three machines plus I'd be interested in loading it on mine.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2016, 03:05:30 PM »
Nathan, I'm not trying to put down this new software, but for alerts have you tried Weather Message?  I've had it for going on four years now and it works great for sending text alerts via different methods.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I

Offline parkernathan

• Forecaster
    • WeatherTogether
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 08:09:53 PM »
Nathan, I'm not trying to put down this new software, but for alerts have you tried Weather Message?  I've had it for going on four years now and it works great for sending text alerts via different methods.

I haven't. I'll sure look into it. Thanks for the info! One reason I was looking at Storm Target was due to the price. The Weather Watch that I'm assisting is very low on funds (I've donated my web design time and IT management to them), so I was looking for something extremely affordable if Interwarn kicks the bucket on them and they need an emergency switch. I will compare it to Weather Message though and see how well it'd work for them.
Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://weathertogether.net

anything