Author Topic: VWS Internet Access  (Read 1206 times)

Offline DavidD

VWS Internet Access
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:47:26 PM »
I have just fired up a copy of VWS and have miraculously connected it to my weather station without much effort!  It took a while for the data to download, but I can now view my data live.  I have a Davis connected through a MeteoBridge (WeatherBridge) and VWS found the MeteoBridge without needing to change any other settings.

So, how can I now access this data over the internet?  I have a PC set up that I plan on running 24/7 for Home Automation, and I might as well run VWS while I'm at it.  I'd like to be able to access and display the VWS data remotely.  Is there a built in server?  I have the Base version, but can upgrade to the Internet version if needed.  I don't need VWS to upload my data to WeatherUnderground, though, as the MeteoBridge is already taking care of that.  I can port forward whatever is needed from my router.

David

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: VWS Internet Access
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 03:05:37 AM »
Can you not log into your PC Directly???? .... or you can establish a PWS weather site like many of us use...???  Or you can support Wunderweenies money grabbers, and use them :twisted:

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
If you are the only one that wants to view VWS then you can install Teamviewer (remote control software) which is free and remote access the weather computer from anywhere. However, if you want others to see it then you need to get a website set up. There are a variety of options from the free sites with adverts on them to cheap sites with lousy support to moderately priced sites that provide good service. Your mileage may vary. You can let VWS upload its own templates to provide a website to start then when you get some experience you can set up one of the excellent templates that are provided by several of the members here. In otherwords....small steps...and ask questions here. We enjoy helping new members.

Offline DavidD

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:16 AM »
I don't necessarily want/need other people to access the data.  I was looking for a way to get the data remotely, say from work, using a browser.  I already upload the data to WU via my MeteoBridge.  I have Teamviewer, but don't really need to access the entire computer.  I was hoping to just open up a port on the router and forward it to VWS to get the screen displayed.  I like being able to have a customized screen rather than using WU.  I also like the satisfaction of knowing that I'm looking at current data.

I'd also like to access this data from my (Android) phone.  Any way to do that?

anything