Author Topic: Internet connection via satellite  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Knorrli

Internet connection via satellite
« on: October 02, 2016, 12:15:27 AM »
I am looking for a new location. One option can only be connected to the internet via satellite. Has anybody experience with this kind of connection or are the delays too big?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Internet connection via satellite
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 02:07:25 AM »
You should talk with member SlowModem (Greg) who chose his member name from his previous Internet (satellite) connection.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:10:36 AM by DanS »

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 10:13:20 AM »
from his previous Internet (satellite) connection
Was that satellite or dialup?

Paul

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 10:28:56 AM »
from his previous Internet (satellite) connection
Was that satellite or dialup?

Paul
I do believe he mentioned satellite and that no phone line Internet service was available at the time.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 11:51:00 AM »
I am looking for a new location. One option can only be connected to the internet via satellite. Has anybody experience with this kind of connection or are the delays too big?

That would depend on what you plan to do with the connection.

If you're just doing things like email and web browsing, the inherent latency shouldn't be a big deal.

If you're interested in action gaming with other players, the latency will kill you.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
If you have cell service try mobile hot spot. Better then satellite, and cheaper if you are going to buy the equipment  out right. With cost here to install phone line for dial up that was the way I went.

John

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »
He's talking about Blitzortung Data to servers, and possible delays in signal .... The stroke GPS time stamps are generated by the Blitzortung controller, so that wouldn't be affected, but he may be concerned that data may arrive at the server outside the sampling time limits.  Suggest post this query on the main Blitzortung Internal forum, as I believe there are several operators who do use Satellite... I believe such potential delays are considered in the server algorithms, and I think the server's 'time slot' to 'detect' is generally about 1-2 seconds. (Before comparing all network station signal time stamps with each other) though I also believe the length of that slot varies depending on number of 'relevant good' stations signals reporting ... more 'faster' stations with 'same' sferic, shorter time required to 'locate'. Your 'delay' outside that slot would be dependent more on your provider's hardware and network than on transmission to and from satellite. :lol:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 02:00:01 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »
Note:
--Quote from Tobi (Developer) today, per your post on BT
(http://forum.blitzortung.org/showthread.php?tid=1984)
We don't have experience with that so far on the server side. As we use UDP for the signals the latency is just one way (station -> server). For an estimation you can ping our server and divide the result by two. With the current settings for the realtime maps a latency of 1 or 1.5s shouldn't be a problem. We can also change that if it's needed.

You are welcome to share your experience with us. Others might have the same idea, as for several regions of the world a satellite connection is (currently) the only way to connect to the internet.
I think, as I said before, there are a handful of operators using SAT,  :?: Tobi is responding from the Server point of view, if there were issues I think he'd be aware of it...

Offline Knorrli

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2016, 04:51:37 PM »
Thanks everybody for their answer. Will see where this leads to. The location looks really promising.

anything