Author Topic: Uploading/sharing weather data  (Read 6708 times)

Offline metro750

Uploading/sharing weather data
« on: December 05, 2010, 07:44:47 PM »
Hello everyone.  I've had a Davis cabled weather station with Envoy and Weatherlink software for about a year now.  I originally intended to share my data on the net but I delayed because I had some problems calibrating my anemometer vane (still not sure if it's accurate). 

Anyway, now I'm thinking about sharing again and I'm wondering how you all upload your data.  Is your computer and internet connection running all day?  What about when you go out of town or on vacation?  Are you concerned about security or privacy, for example, if you're connected to the net all the time, is your home network more vulnerable to hacking? Is the Weatherlink software secure? Or if you only upload when you're home, is that not a security/privacy concern?

Thanks.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
Re: Uploading/sharing weather data
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 08:33:15 PM »
I've been running since the mid 1990s 25/7 365day a year. Been lucky so far no problem if I go away got battery backups and if thing go wrong now I got an android phone so I can now operate and restart the computer from the phone. As for being hacked hay I've got backups and it's only a weather computer. And if the computer burns the house down I could use new stuff anyways. Look I don't turn off the refrigerator or turn off the furnace may turn it down so things don't freeze. And if I turn off the weather computer then I couldn't see what is going on at my house.
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline metro750

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »
So you have a separate computer dedicated to your weather station, and that computer runs 24/7 and is constantly connected to the internet?  For 15 years?

Very impressive.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »
My site is run from a school network. It is a dedicated computer that runs 24/7. Even during weekends, vacations and summer break. I have been collecting data for about three years. I just lock up the keyboard and mouse during the long breaks.

I did run it from my  house with Apache for a summer and had no issues like what you asked.

All uploads are done to a folder and the network people did the rest.

The website part is different for many people.  Some host their own-many upload to another web host site.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline mmorris

• Forecaster
  • Hope your day is full of sunshine
    • Weather and Racin
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 09:03:40 PM »
So you have a separate computer dedicated to your weather station, and that computer runs 24/7 and is constantly connected to the internet?  For 15 years?

Very impressive.

The dedicated Weather Computer does all the weather related stuff web cams weather forecasting program three weather software program lighting, earth quake sensor and the web server plus all the related thing needed to run the computer and it software also there is some software that I use once in a while like paint programs web page editors . Then there is the router and cable modem and the battery backups. This is just an old hand me down computer that got replaced when the first one got hit by lighting. You know you get a new box then the old box replaces the older box, You just couldn't through the old ones out they used to cost $1000.00 or more as compared to today you can get and nicer computer for under $400.00
>>Miles<<  By from Portage Lakes, OH.
Been using VWS since 1996 Ver# 14.01P43
Wireless Vantage Pro2Plus Serial Data Logger, Anemo Tran Kit
Win XP, Firefox, WXSIM, Cumulus, NexStorm, Yawcam, VVP, BadBlue Web server, Quake Catcher Net
Follow me on twitter
Vietnam era Veteran USAF bb loader
Quadruple Bypass survivor

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 09:48:46 PM »
I've got three stations connected to an old Dell desktop that just keeps chugging along.  I don't worry about hackers.  It would take them too long at 26.4 kbs.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 06:07:13 AM »
If you're behind a firewall, either software or hardware (router) you're pretty safe. Hackers generally don't want to waste any time on a home computer, they want more valuable things. Mine runs 24/7 and has for about 3 years. Constantly uploading data every 4-5 seconds, several pages every couple of minutes, data to my SQL Server every minute, constantly streaming webcam, and much more... so lots of stuff going on all the time. I only leave a few ports open on my router so there isn't a whole lot someone can do even if they tried.

Offline metro750

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:36:22 AM »
Thanks for your comments everyone.  I can tell there are some very dedicated weather watchers out there, and I certainly appreciate your data.

I'm not sure I want to leave my computer running 24/7 right now.  I really don't have any other need for a continuous connection.

Too bad there isn't some other way to transmit the data, like through the same network that PG&E is continuously collecting our electricity and gas use data.

By the way, if my network security software is telling the truth, my little home network is continually being tested by hackers.  I'm sure that 99.9% of these attempts aren't serious, but they still concern me. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »
Use WOSB and TOFF from Dennisbabkin.com to wake and sleep your PC at regular intervals.  Works well with my netbook and WL.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline daswx

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 07:36:48 AM »
Thanks for your comments everyone.  I can tell there are some very dedicated weather watchers out there, and I certainly appreciate your data.

I'm not sure I want to leave my computer running 24/7 right now.  I really don't have any other need for a continuous connection.

Too bad there isn't some other way to transmit the data, like through the same network that PG&E is continuously collecting our electricity and gas use data.

By the way, if my network security software is telling the truth, my little home network is continually being tested by hackers.  I'm sure that 99.9% of these attempts aren't serious, but they still concern me. 
metro.....
RE: hackers......If your firewall/AV is doing its job of effectively blocking the traffic....no need to fret....
Just don't look at the "BLOCKED" log(s) as often......!
No need to get your BP up for naught!

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 07:45:52 AM »
There's a lot of things that randomly poke around for things to get into, email addresses to harvest, etc., Like he said though, if you have a firewall of some type, you're pretty safe

Offline cjfasciano

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »
 :grin:  yes i like to know how to upload my davis weatherlink software also....
Christopher J Fasciano

Offline metro750

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2010, 04:51:22 PM »
I've been researching this problem that I posted about several weeks ago and it looks like Davis makes a device that will connect directly to my Envoy and upload my data continuously to the web without my computer running.  It's called WeatherLinkIP.  It connects the Envoy to my network router.  Seems like the perfect solution, although at $300, a little pricey.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2010, 05:38:13 PM »
What isn't pricy with Davis

Offline metro750

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
Correction, $200 at Ambientweather.com.

This device appears to consist of a data logger with an ethernet port, plus the WeatherlinkIP software, which is 95% of what I got when I bought the Weather Envoy.  There should be some kind of discount or trade-in for people who bought Envoys!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 06:34:54 PM »
The WLIP is $186 at Provantage.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:17 PM »
This device appears to consist of a data logger with an ethernet port, plus the WeatherlinkIP software, which is 95% of what I got when I bought the Weather Envoy.  There should be some kind of discount or trade-in for people who bought Envoys!

I'm a bit confused by that statement.  What did you get when you bought your Envoy?  [The Envoy doesn't come "standard" with a logger, nor with software]

Looking back, it appears that when you bought your system with the Envoy, you also purchased a logger (serial or USB version) and the WeatherLink software that comes with the logger.  Depending on when that was, perhaps the WeatherLinkIP wasn't even available yet.  Or maybe it was available, but you didn't realize that was what you wanted.

So, if you buy the WeatherLinkIP logger (with software), you could offer your used logger and software for sale.  eBay or whatever.  

« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 07:43:07 PM by dalecoy »

Offline metro750

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 08:05:37 PM »
You're right, I bought the 6510USB WeatherLink when I bought the Envoy.  I thought it was part of the Envoy since the data logger fits into the Envoy. 

I bought it in Sept 2008 - I wonder when WeatherLinkIP became available?

Offline metro750

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 08:12:17 PM »
Ouch! Just found this on weatherlink.com:

"If you currently own a WeatherLink for your Envoy™, Vantage Pro®, or Vantage Pro2™ and want to upgrade to WeatherLinkIP, you may receive US $165.00 when you purchase a new WeatherLinkIP, and return your old WeatherLink data logger with the original bar code from your WeatherLinkIP box. New WeatherLinkIP must be purchased by December 31, 2008"

Offline hannoverskies

• Hannover Skies
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 11:07:03 PM »
OK - a late-comer to the convo, but you're all discussing what i need to know. I have a vantage vue & weatherlinkIP (had it less than 2 months), and I want to do the same thing -- build a website with some hosting service (GoDaddy or whatever), and post my weather data. I have yet to figure out how to do this without keeping my computer running 24/7. But if i'm reading right, folks are saying this is possible. What am I missing?

My basic understanding -- use WeatherLinkIP to generate templates into an FTP folder, and my website pulls what it needs from that folder. But it seems to me WeatherLink won't generate those templates unless the program's open and the computer is running.

I have lots of computer geek-types in my life, but i'm hell-bent on figuring this out on my own. :)
Erin Huntimer
Rural Oliver County, ND
Station: Davis Vantage Vue
CWOP: DW6873
WU: KNDNEWSA2

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Simplified bottom line:  You can't post "current" weather data to "your website", without having a computer running 24/7.

That's an over-simplification, and I'm sure that other folks will contribute "alternatives", but that's the bottom line.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:22 AM »
When Dale said you need a computer running 24/7, that could be your regular computer, or a low power computer such as a netbook, or it could even be a low-power, Linux computer such as a Sheevaplug-based Meteohub also sold as the WeatherPlug.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

anything