Author Topic: Exaggerated snowfall reports  (Read 1407 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Exaggerated snowfall reports
« on: February 26, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
During our recent storm, that was predicted to be in the 5-8 inch range, I recorded and reported 4.8" to CoCoRaHS. The nearby NWS Coop observer reported 2.7".  There were 30mph+ winds so there was significant drifting. I had areas clear to the walkway, yet there were drifts of 16". There were some areas, that appeared to be relatively even, averaging around 6". I decided to go with the snowboard amount. I even had to average that.

On the local TV news and newspaper, they reported 12" for our County. They were vague on exactly where this "foot of snow" was measured, but the TV reporter was in our downtown, just blocks away from me. The implication was that the 12" was in Rogers City.

NWS Coop: RGCM4: Rogers City          :DH0800/  34 /  24 / 0.35 / 2.7 /17.0
My CoCoRaHS report: MIPI01  : ROGERS CITY 0.2 WSW      *   : 0.43 / 4.8 / 14.0 /   MM
Another Spotter report: Rogers City 1NW                   3.5           24 HRS
"1-foot" Spotter: Presque Isle                       12           24 HRS

The next city down the road, Alpena reported 9 inches and 5.4" from Spotters/CCR. Alpena County is immediately South of our county.

The media tends to gravitate towards the biggest number they learn about. I don't know if this "Spotter" is trained in snow measurements, and took an average, or stuck a ruler into a drift and called it good.

Anyone else notice questionable snow reports? I know that the TV weather seems to get into a bidding war on who can forecast the most snow, but I would hope that the measurements would be reasonable.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Exaggerated snowfall reports
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 09:32:02 AM »
Not the official spotter but did hear the local radio guy that everyone thinks is as good as gold in small town USA call a 6" snow 12". Yes areas had 12" drifted but same as you experienced lots of wind.
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 09:41:35 AM »
I have found our public media does a pretty good job on reporting snow fall but with single outlets covering quite a large area which can have drastic differences in snow fall that is not easy to do.  The weather reports usually mention what has fallen in parts of the city and then also in the surrounding rural counties and these do not appear to be exaggerated.  Lake effect streamers are the most difficult to report on.
Paul

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 09:57:57 AM »
This particular storm was widespread and while there may have been "lake effect enhancement" due to NE winds off of Lake Huron, it was not your typical bands of snow. This storm seemed to be fairly uniform over a large area of Northeastern Michigan.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 10:17:18 AM »
Not the official spotter but did hear the local radio guy that everyone thinks is as good as gold in small town USA call a 6" snow 12". Yes areas had 12" drifted but same as you experienced lots of wind.
Man, there's a joke here but I'm not going to make it!  LOL
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!