Author Topic: WU Failing to Archive All Data  (Read 2497 times)

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
WU Failing to Archive All Data
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »
I've noticed a problem with WU that has seemingly been occurring all month to my station.

Basically, the problem is that WU is failing to archive some of the data my station is uploaded. My usual default upload interval is 10 minutes, so, for example, one would expect to see an update archived every 10 minutes on WU: like at 17:00, 17:10, 17:20, 17:30, and so on and so forth. However, since this problem began, WU has been "skipping" the archive on some of those updates. While WU says that my station has uploaded data during these "skipped" updates, the data does not appear in my archived tabular data or on my graphs.

So, instead of having updates at 17:00, 17:10, 17:20, 17:30, etc., I'll have 17:00, followed by, say, 17:20, then 17:30, 17:40, 17:50, and maybe 18:10 - it "skips" an archive once or twice an hour.

I've tried using multiple programs (Cumulus, WxSolution, WUHU) to do the uploads and different update intervals (5 and 10 min). The problem continues regardless. It can't be on my end, because my programs are always sending the data - WU just chooses not to archive it randomly.

From what I've seen, at least some other non-RapidFire stations have had the same problem recently.

Anyone else notice this problem? Is there a fix (email Wunderground and hope they attend to it) or do we have to wait for WU to work it out on its own?

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
Re: WU Failing to Archive All Data
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:08:38 PM »
Seems to be par for Weather Underground (someone will always reply to these posts with "You get what you pay for" :-) ). I am using RapidFire with VWS and see the skips as well. I opened a ticket with them earlier this week, but have not heard back. There are some other threads regarding this too: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=4737.0

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
I've also notice this happening for some time now and just figured it was random internet delays or "hiccups" at WU causing the missed archive entries.
Same goes for my webcam uploads, runs smooth and no problems then occasionally "FTP upload error", "timeout error" due to the internet or WU (lack of). This interruption can be for quite some time then all back to normal for days.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 11:41:07 PM by DanS »

Offline NorthNJwx

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:13:25 AM »
Looks like the problem hasn't been fixed in any way yet - there were a couple days this month that my data was much fuller, but it's back to a hit-or-miss pattern now. The "you get what you pay for" angle is a good point, though. It's a free service for us, so just being able to use it is nice. Still, it seems like this isn't something that should be so hard to fix if it's just being caused by WU's own "hiccups."

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
If your only problem earlier this week has been a few skipped data intervals, you have been lucky.  WU had a major database problem for a few days at the start of the week and some of us had data for almost 3/4s of a day rejected while they were doing maintenance on the database. After this work, some people have had problems with their data from prior years.

Edit: I had thought that their database rebuild problem might have cured these intermittent data skips, but I guess it didn't.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 09:47:15 AM by d_l »
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:05:06 PM »
I guess I'm just lucky. I haven't had any data upload problems with WU for a long time. I just went back and looked at data from the first of June and the only data outage was when my computer went down for three days while I was gone on vacation. Am wondering if it may be only certain areas of the country having the problem which may relate to specific servers having problems.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
Am wondering if it may be only certain areas of the country having the problem which may relate to specific servers having problems.

We will probably never know... I receive responses for about 25% of the support tickets I open with them.