Author Topic: Proper Way to Add / Edit / Delete WU data  (Read 6313 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Proper Way to Add / Edit / Delete WU data
« on: October 01, 2018, 03:29:05 PM »
Preface: Weather Underground data editing or deleting is not functional through their website

Solution: A bit more advanced and requires using JSON client. I'm using Chrome add-on app called ARC.

Method: I successfully was able to add a missing data points for a given date/time. (not my real intention but proves this method works to add new data)

GET https://weatherstation.wunderground.com/weatherstation/updateweatherstation.php?ID=stationid&PASSWORD=stationpwd&dateutc=2018-06-24+05%3A12%3A05&tempf=80.1&humidity=60&dewptf=70.0&baromin=30.10&softwaretype=ARCclient&action=updateraw HTTP/1.1

BIG QUESTION: How do I DELETE or REMOVE or EDIT existing bad data? If I use the above method I successfully can enter data for any date/time stamp that does not exist. But if it exists then I can't find a way to overwrite data nor to delete data. Does anyone have any clue how to remove bad data? I'll accept a way to edit or delete or to enter null values. But nothing I've tried works.

HELP !!!!!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:38:55 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline wunderground-PWS

• Contributor
Re: Proper Way to Add / Edit / Delete WU data
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
As of right now, there is no way to remove the bad data from a station.  We are working on quality control and flagging, which could lead to this being reinstated.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »
Thank you for your response. Now I know not to waste any more time on this. It was driving me nuts. I hope that you can implement this feature soon.

I only had 21 bad time stamps that I wish I could delete. Messing up my graphs. Really annoying.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 03:58:09 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline ohio2112

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
Any updates on when/if we will have the ability to remove bad data?
I've been having communication troubles with my station and it decided to upload that we had over 7" of rain in 5 minutes this morning.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 06:15:46 PM »
Don't hold your breath. The way things are going, I bet never.

This issue is considered a Wish List item. It is one of many features and functionalities removed on the old site. The new site hasn't shown any progress in months. It probably ranks very low in the priority list.

Issue tracked here:
https://trello.com/c/ndy0RFKe
Tele-Pole

Offline craiginsd

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2019, 12:37:55 AM »
I too need to delete some known bad data, and am frustrated that before there was an edit button in the daily data table, but no longer.  The system never flagged obviously incorrect data, and I want to remove it on my own.  What was this feature removed in the first place? 

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
I too need to delete some known bad data, and am frustrated that before there was an edit button in the daily data table, but no longer.  The system never flagged obviously incorrect data, and I want to remove it on my own.  What was this feature removed in the first place?
Welcome to WXForum. You're new here, so I'll spare the details. Simply put, this turkey's been carved, what you have left is the carcass and gristle. It's as good as it will ever get, and in fact you should expect to lose more features and see new "features" (aka broken bits) as the weeks plow on. We've all been watching this train wreck for many many months (years?) and it's clearly off the rails.  Forcasters...did I miss anything?

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 12:47:38 PM »
n terms of new "features" that seem to magically appear, I've notice that every day from around noon to maybe 2 or 3PM, local time, the dashboard map won't load properly and I have to log in again, repeatedly, during that time period.  I think Dark Helmet is in the server room bumbling around during that time.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 02:08:35 PM »
Welcome to WXForum. You're new here, so I'll spare the details. Simply put, this turkey's been carved, what you have left is the carcass and gristle. It's as good as it will ever get, and in fact you should expect to lose more features and see new "features" (aka broken bits) as the weeks plow on. We've all been watching this train wreck for many many months (years?) and it's clearly off the rails.  Forcasters...did I miss anything?

Well summarized. You only forgot to add that we are sitting around eating popcorn.
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 04:36:20 PM »
I switched to Jordan Almonds.  This movie is far to long, but lots of intermissions at least.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »

Well summarized. You only forgot to add that we are sitting around eating popcorn.

I wonder if letting users change data is just too much of a security risk as well as too expensive?

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 03:01:25 PM by antstrafer »
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline mike88ag

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 10:17:52 AM »
I've been emailing Weather Underground support about being able to change my station location (doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon), and while I was at it, I inquired about the ability to delete data. Below is Victoria's response:

Because data is QC’ed on ingest, it’s actually simpler not to allow for edits of data. If it’s bad, it’s been flagged. I do not know of any plans to change that.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2019, 04:54:32 PM »
I've been emailing Weather Underground support about being able to change my station location (doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon), and while I was at it, I inquired about the ability to delete data. Below is Victoria's response:

Because data is QC’ed on ingest, it’s actually simpler not to allow for edits of data. If it’s bad, it’s been flagged. I do not know of any plans to change that.

The problem with this is their "QC" algorithms suck.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 05:47:26 PM »
Nearly thirteen years of quality data is now ruined because of a failing Davis VP2 circuit board. Multiple inches of rain recorded for a few days cannot be corrected.

So much for WUnderground. What was once a quality site has turned into a shadow of itself.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2021, 05:36:16 AM »
I've written to WU support asking for my station rainfall records to be edited. Let's see what happens. This is my message...

My Davis VP2 station has been sending data to WU since April 2009. Last week the station developed a fault resulting in ridiculous rainfall amounts for several days in December 2021. Whilst I can correct those on my own website I cannot change the data sent to WU. Because other sites read your data the data on those sites is heavily compromised. These few days of bad data have effectively ruined nearly 13 years of accurate records. Once my station is replaced with a new one in the next 48 hours would you please correct these rainfall amounts for me? That is probably easier than allowing me to do it.

Thank you.

I suppose if they don't help it shows they really don't care about the quality of the data they receive. I never received an email about the 96" of rain recorded on Saturday 11 December.  :sad:

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2021, 09:02:18 PM »
I've written to WU support asking for my station rainfall records to be edited. Let's see what happens. This is my message...

Thank you.[/i]

I suppose if they don't help it shows they really don't care about the quality of the data they receive. I never received an email about the 96" of rain recorded on Saturday 11 December.  :sad:

Any response from our friends at WU?
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2021, 03:24:56 AM »
Any response from our friends at WU?

Absolutely nothing. What an utter shambles they have become. No interest whatsoever in the quality of the data they host and display. I suppose once the option to edit bad data was removed it showed they weren’t interested.

The ‘Contact us’ link might as well not exist for all the good it does. 😡

anything