Author Topic: Weather Underground web cam  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Coosweather

Weather Underground web cam
« on: June 03, 2018, 11:28:40 PM »
After moving I finally got to setup my Weatherflow station complete with the “Sky” module. Quite excited at that. My downfall is that my webcam that I purchased specifically for this will only allow me to ftp upload a minimum 10Mb file when the weather underground will only accept a 150Kb file.
Not quite sure where to go from here. I would surely like a place to aggregate this information for visiting friends.
I would appreciate any suggestions.

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
Re: Weather Underground web cam
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »
  • Send your webcam image to a machine on your home network.
  • Use ImageMagick to adjust the image to size you want.
  • Use the 'ftp' option to send the new file to Weather Underground.

You can also use ImageMagick to overlay weather data onto the image.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Coosweather

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
Thanks!
You’re the best!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 11:03:19 AM »
bchwdlks,
Well that ImageMagick seems pretty impressive. What method are you using to populate the current weather conditions? I understand you are saying ImageMagick can do this but thought maybe a bit of guidance would help instead of having to learn all the complexities of the program by myself.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2018, 03:29:34 PM »
bchwdlks,
Well that ImageMagick seems pretty impressive. What method are you using to populate the current weather conditions? I understand you are saying ImageMagick can do this but thought maybe a bit of guidance would help instead of having to learn all the complexities of the program by myself.

The imagemagick writes the data to the photo, but you have to provide the data as a command line option to the convert program. I have a RPi managing the 2 web cameras, so I am using a shell script (attached as a zip) on that to:

1) adjust the image size  &overlay the weather information
2) ftp the file to WU
3) save a copy into an archive.

The weather data that I use is generated from a Meteobridge 'ftp event service'. Every 5 minutes the Meteobridge updates a file on the RPi. If you are using Meteobridge, there is a builtin section that performs a similar function.

The imagemagick line that does the work is:
convert WU_jpeg.jpg  -fill GRAY  -draw "fill-opacity 0.35 rectangle 300 0 1715 60" -pointsize 24  -fill ${COL_CODE}  -draw "text 310 25 '                                                               ${DAY} ${DATE} ${TIME}
 ===${TEMP} ${BARO} ${HUMI} ${WIND} ${GUST} ${RAIN}  ${RATE}===" -crop 1384x776+300+0 ReAdjusted_WebCam.jpg

That command is a single line with a line feed in the middle of the 'text 310 25' section to make 2 data lines on the photo.

It the script, the COL_CODE changes the text font between a light color for night and dark for day. I am using the Meteobridge sunrise/sunset data to flip between them.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2018, 04:44:37 PM »
bchwdlks,
That was tremendously helpful. I do have a Meteobridge. Thank you so much.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole