Author Topic: Sudden signal loss on Atlas  (Read 1262 times)

Offline kharris44

Sudden signal loss on Atlas
« on: March 25, 2019, 01:57:02 PM »
Hey -

I've had the Atlas up and running for three months with my configuration doing just fine for signal strength. Now suddenly it is gone. No signal at all. I tried changing the batteries and rebooting the display monitor. No help. Any ideas?

Offline Neil_O

Re: Sudden signal loss on Atlas
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:54:05 PM »
I had the same problem.  Try folding down the antenna.  This seems to have fixed my problem.  See the thread below.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36225.msg373428#msg373428

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:26:13 PM »
It's interesting that it was working fine and then quit totally. The antenna issue Neil mentioned was about an intermittent problem. It's worth a try but it seems different than what you're seeing.

After you rebooted the display did you repeat the procedure to "Add an Outdoor Device"? Maybe the display simply "forgot" the Atlas.

You have an Atlas and the HD display, do you also have an Access? If so is it still receiving a signal? That would show that the Atlas is transmitting. I think I'd try moving the monitor near the station (using an extension cord for power if necessary) and see it that helps. If not, my guess is that either the Atlas failed and isn't transmitting or the Display has failed and isn't receiving. Without a third device it's hard to tell which.

Offline jjh92

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 10:21:12 AM »
I have seen periodic drop-outs of signal level from my Atlas as observed on myAcurite (I only have the Access, no display).  During drop-outs the signal level is reduced to 1-bar poort but then returns to 4-bars excellent.  I may lose a 5-minute report update in the charts as a result.  This is infrequent and I do not know of any reason for it. My ISS is about 120' from the Access but has direct line of sight.  The normal signal level is 4-bars excellent.

Offline kharris44

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 12:25:44 PM »
I had the same problem.  Try folding down the antenna.  This seems to have fixed my problem.  See the thread below.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36225.msg373428#msg373428

Thanks. I tried and it did not work. I wish is was that easy!

Offline kharris44

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
It's interesting that it was working fine and then quit totally. The antenna issue Neil mentioned was about an intermittent problem. It's worth a try but it seems different than what you're seeing.

After you rebooted the display did you repeat the procedure to "Add an Outdoor Device"? Maybe the display simply "forgot" the Atlas.

You have an Atlas and the HD display, do you also have an Access? If so is it still receiving a signal? That would show that the Atlas is transmitting. I think I'd try moving the monitor near the station (using an extension cord for power if necessary) and see it that helps. If not, my guess is that either the Atlas failed and isn't transmitting or the Display has failed and isn't receiving. Without a third device it's hard to tell which.

Great point. I do have Access and it is not receiving a signal either. I tried 'add new sensor' and it did not find it. So it definitely appears that the station stopped transmitting.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 03:03:53 PM »
Great point. I do have Access and it is not receiving a signal either. I tried 'add new sensor' and it did not find it. So it definitely appears that the station stopped transmitting.

That's too bad, I hope it was under warranty. Time to call Acurite. Be sure to let us know how it works out.

Offline kharris44

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2019, 12:56:42 PM »
UPDATE: Turns out it was my battery pack extension. When I took the unit down to test it near the display I put batteries directly in the unit and voila it immediately came back online.

Acurite has confirmed that the battery extension can malfunction and cause a connection issue. They are sending me a new one.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
thanks for the update.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2019, 04:53:04 PM »
Yes, thanks for the update. I'm glad it was something simple and not a dead Atlas.