Author Topic: The Acurite Atlas  (Read 19107 times)

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: The Acurite Atlas
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »
For you guys/gals that are currently testing the Atlas...since I would assume that many of you have been around PWS stuff for quite a long time, including testing with specific companies, let me ask you this. Based on your experiences, what would be your best guess as to how long until Atlas is released? Are we looking at a month? 6 months? Maybe a year yet? I know...nothing from the past can accurately indicate the future, so this is just more of a "guess", based on what you've experienced and have seen occur in the past. Care to take a shot in the dark?

I've seen people say things like "should be really soon". "Really soon" can be very subjective. My wife might think "really soon" would be sometime today. I might think "really soon" would be within 6 months. :)

I'm sticking with "any day now".

Based on the beta test experience, I've no idea what the "showstopper" might be.  Obviously some issues were uncovered, but nothing that shouldn't be easy to fix.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 01:51:48 PM »
Don't know... I thought it would be available by now. Obviously, there is some issue with the software, and I think that is what is really the hold-out.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »
Don't know... I thought it would be available by now. Obviously, there is some issue with the software, and I think that is what is really the hold-out.

Yesterday I heard from another beta tester that there was a problem with Atlas data crashing the production version of the mobile app.  A new version of the mobile app came out yesterday which should fix that.

I made the switch to the production site yesterday and so far things have been fine.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2018, 05:42:34 PM »
Tested the Atlas 8 here in Morehead City, NC and overall was pleased with the performance. The wind readings are superior to the 5-in-1 with a better sampling rate. The rain gauge underestimates during heavy rainfall, which is the expected behavior with a tipping bucket  in heavy rainfall. I was always surprised how the 5-in-1 managed to overestimate rainfall. In the days of testing, I only noted one day where the solar heating was noticeable (about 6 degree warmer than surrounding sites), otherwise, the Atlas was at or below the temperature of the 5-in-1 on most days. This testing was done in the fall with a low sun angle. I do worry, with the amount of black plastic on the unit, that we will again see major heating issues when the sun is more directly overhead in late Spring and early Summer.

Overall as others have stated, a solid piece of equipment and a step up from the 5-in-1. I especially like the indoor console and lightning detector. Would recommend!

Chris Collins
Meteorologist

I'm curious, as the sun angle is much higher now that it is mid March, any temp spikes with the atlas?  How is it tracking compared to other stations in your location?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2018, 04:07:23 PM »
Dport,

Check the recent topic... but no, there is no spike in temps of more than 1 degree at any time for me. I've seen 85 F this late Spring and no problem. The 5n1 read 89 however.

Today I checked my Atlas batteries, (normal energizer) and they had lost just a little power since installing them when I received my Atlas at the end of last Summer. Also we are expecting rain tonight, so cleaned the bird S**T out of the rain collector. Also checked the fan, took apart the bottom because I could not hear the motor, but it was running just fine. A nice fan blade system in there just above the thermo/hygro which is housed inside a fine mesh screen to keep the junk off the air sensor chip.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2018, 04:42:10 PM »
I'm curious, as the sun angle is much higher now that it is mid March, any temp spikes with the atlas?  How is it tracking compared to other stations in your location?

I haven't had any spiking on either my Texas or Nebraska installations.

The east and west solar panels are mounted vertically, but the south-facing solar panel has a bit of an upward tilt so it still catches the sun well at mid-day.

The Atlas uses a Sensirion SHT31 temp/humidity chip.  This is an upgrade from the SHT21 used in the 5n1.

My hearing isn't good, but I've found the Atlas fan to be very quiet compared to the 5n1.  I have to put my good ear right up to the unit to hear the slight whir.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2018, 11:02:44 PM »
Many thanks guys.  Will have to give this a serious look once it is available to the public.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2018, 09:40:14 AM »
My battery light is lit on the Atlas Display, so today, I will be changing the batteries for the first time since installing late last summer. These are energizer and did not last a whole year. The software however does not indicate a low battery. I will check the charge of the batteries to see if they are weak enough to throw away.

Also I will check the 5n1. I had to solder it recently to keep it going. The ribbon cable was rotting.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2018, 01:49:10 PM »
I changed batteries, and checked the originals. They are not low at all. The light should not come on at that level. Anyone else have this happen?

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2018, 04:42:15 PM »
So, is this Atlas station going to be for sale this year?

I'm seeing some really good deals on the 5-n-1 with the nice display screen and the 6014m unit with dual solar panels for $130.  I don't know what the difference is between the 6014m and the standard sensor suite.
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »

I'm seeing some really good deals on the 5-n-1 with the nice display screen and the 6014m unit with dual solar panels for $130.  I don't know what the difference is between the 6014m and the standard sensor suite.

Yes.

Other than the number of solar panels driving the aspiration fan, all 5n1 sensors are functionally the same.

The main differences between packages are the style and features of the display.

Offline WetCoyote

« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2018, 08:26:06 PM »

Yes.

Other than the number of solar panels driving the aspiration fan, all 5n1 sensors are functionally the same.

The main differences between packages are the style and features of the display.

What I wonder is if the displays firmware is upgradable on the Atlas.

I was seriously bummed to discover the 5 in 1 system i bought had bad programming that made the moon phase data go pear shaped and no way to correct it.  Their solution was to replace the display with a display that had no phase, ticker, and less features than what was paid for.

Soured me on Acurite in a major way, along with no way to calibrate the sensors.  This is chineseium at the lowest price point, and you get what you pay for.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2018, 09:11:35 PM »
What I wonder is if the displays firmware is upgradable on the Atlas.

I was seriously bummed to discover the 5 in 1 system i bought had bad programming that made the moon phase data go pear shaped and no way to correct it.  Their solution was to replace the display with a display that had no phase, ticker, and less features than what was paid for.

Soured me on Acurite in a major way, along with no way to calibrate the sensors.  This is chineseium at the lowest price point, and you get what you pay for.

I'm sure the display firmware is updateable, but I don't know if they plan to give the user that ability.

There is a "hidden" USB port on the bottom.  As far as I know it is "factory use only".

There is also the possibility they might update the firmware via the SD slot.

The Atlas display is nothing like the old-style LCD displays... it's a touch screen much like a small tablet or smartphone.

Offline yankeesdood16

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2018, 09:08:01 AM »
Definitely like the idea of the touch screen with the atlas display, will be better than having to toggle through everything with the displays for the 5 in 1

Offline jayman007

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Recently had a 5-in-1 HD display go bad and replaced with the Atlas.
So far, I've been very impressed, since I had bought the "upgrade" Access, I went with the Atlas and display only, and plan to add the lightning detector in the near future and have a few questions:

1) Does the My Acurite now track/graph lightning strikes?
2) Will the Atlas Display reset the yearly totals or will we need to do this manually (like 5-in-1)?

Thanks,

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2018, 09:23:08 AM »
1) Does the My Acurite now track/graph lightning strikes?

Screen shot of My AcuRIte:
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33456.msg341222#msg341222

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Atlas Reviews
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »
Video:
AcuRite Atlas Weather Station Unboxing & Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhZ50Pr2D50

ACURITE ATLAS WEATHER STATION REVIEW (Model# 01007M)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2hhiNXAlqc

Written:
AcuRite Atlas Weather Station Unboxing and Review:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/weathermatrix/acurite-atlas-weather-station-unboxing-and-review/70006401

AcuRite Atlas Review:
https://wxobservation.com/acurite-atlas-review/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 11:05:10 AM by worachj »

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
Here is another review that links to this site about the false lightning issue:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3315622/software-weather/acurite-atlas-weather-station-review.html#tk.rss_all

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
Here is another review that links to this site about the false lightning issue:

https://www.techhive.com/article/3315622/software-weather/acurite-atlas-weather-station-review.html#tk.rss_all

Doesn't sound like he has a problem.  Just like most people don't.

If the power lines aren't an issue for him now, they aren't going to be an issue for him during a storm.

anything