Author Topic: **Acurite Atlas 7/8 with FARS + Many Add-Ons Now Available** -Elite Soon?  (Read 49657 times)

Offline meadowsland

Re: New Acurite Atlas Elitist Wx station
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2017, 02:20:14 PM »
Availability in late spring. We will be announcing more details on pre-orders, pricing and availability in the coming weeks.  Thanks everyone

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2017, 02:27:10 PM »
Hi
will there be an API (e.g REST) available to get the data stream etc?

Offline thelanenest

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2017, 05:49:48 PM »
New here.   Unless I missed it, is there any information about what the display will look like?  Hoping it's a variant of their HD display.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »
New here.   Unless I missed it, is there any information about what the display will look like?  Hoping it's a variant of their HD display.

If you go to their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/acurite/ - see the January 6th post. There's a short video where Ryan has a quick peek. I think that's all we have for now..

Offline meadowsland

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »
It is a HD TFT display with WiFi built in (the display is the connection bridge)

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:41 PM »
It is a HD TFT display with WiFi built in (the display is the connection bridge)

Any more hints as to if it's the *only* bridge? (meaning will there be a display-less SmartHUB as well?)  Add me to the list of those curious if there will be an API or non-cloud method of getting realtime data. Thanks, I can't wait to get my hands on the Elite!

Offline thelanenest

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2017, 06:15:03 PM »
Thanks for the link to the video.  I hadn't seen that.   All looks good.   Display looks real nice too.   I was looking for a good quality weather station that has a nice looking color display that includes UV info as well as lightning with the ability to upload all to the Internet.   So as long as pricing is good, this looks like it might be the ticket.

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »
Looks interesting for sure. Hope the reception is better than the smart hub.
Bill

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: New Acurite Atlas 7/8 Elite WX Station (April 2017) HD Wifi Display
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »
Maybe this will spur on the VP3?  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2017, 07:32:16 PM »
Maybe this will spur on the VP3?  :)
C'mon, see reply 2 and 5. ;)

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2017, 10:32:31 PM »
Looks good. Also looks like they're going squarely at Davis's market, even visually. If that's the case, I smell a VP3 in the near future (or maybe not...) :roll:

Davis' definition of "near future" is 10 years. That's so unfortunate as Davis was (is) the cream of the crop but somewhere along the way they have lost its vision. I appreciate that over the years Davis has tweaked rather than replaced its product line. For example, they introduced the SHT31 about a year ago and those that could afford or wanted to spend $50 or so could, same with bird spikes in the rain collector, and so forth. But, the VP2 is dated and owners know it! A new product, the VP3 is so long over due it is shameful. A color console, use of bluetooth, etc., etc.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2017, 10:24:45 AM »
I've searched for a weather station running from the Acurite building in Lake Geneva WI to see if they had the new station online there to test but didn't find one. They used to have a station broadcasting on the Wunderground. It would be nice to see it in action if it was installed there.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 10:32:52 AM »
Looks good. Also looks like they're going squarely at Davis's market, even visually. If that's the case, I smell a VP3 in the near future (or maybe not...) :roll:

Davis' definition of "near future" is 10 years. That's so unfortunate as Davis was (is) the cream of the crop but somewhere along the way they have lost its vision. I appreciate that over the years Davis has tweaked rather than replaced its product line. For example, they introduced the SHT31 about a year ago and those that could afford or wanted to spend $50 or so could, same with bird spikes in the rain collector, and so forth. But, the VP2 is dated and owners know it! A new product, the VP3 is so long over due it is shameful. A color console, use of bluetooth, etc., etc.

But dang, their hardware is good.  I would probably use the HW only if I was building up a wx station.  Can't say the same for Acurite HW quality.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Rising Barometer

• dorn2@outlook.com
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »
Just checking in. It won't be vaporware.  They've been working on them with some customers for a while now.

I'm in the hospital following emergency spinal surgery, so you might not be hearing from me much until I'm back on my feet.

Thanks for checking in. Hurry up and get well.

Get well George, you are a great help on the weather forums and thank you !

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2017, 12:18:58 AM »
For those interested, transmission range for the Elite is supposed to be much longer than for the 5in1.  Something like 1000' instead of 300'.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2017, 01:06:16 AM »
Well considering I barely get 30 feet now that should mean 100 for the new units?

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2017, 06:35:17 AM »
Looks like my grandson may be inheriting a 5-in-1 soon.
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2017, 05:59:20 PM »
Yes, he will still be more than pleased :)
Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2017, 10:45:42 PM »
Only up grade I will be doing is to an Rainwise. Last Accurite station I bought  didn't even make it thru the winter and they said they didn't  honor  the warrenty as they released new  gear.  Guess you get what you pay for junk and they get the dollars. Hope  have good dredging season then get the new gear.

John

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
The guy on the Facebook video (see Jan 6th) said 1000 meters specs say 1000 feet.

I'd like to know a couple things about the Elite.
1. Is that 1 solar panel really enough?  The original 5 in 1 had 1 panel and then they went to 2.  Hard to tell the physical size. Video said 24 hr fan aspiration.  Does the solar panel charge a rechargeable battery?
2. What sort of batteries does this unit take?  Will it have a remote battery pack that can be installed away from the sensor?  That was discussed regarding the 5 in 1 but it never went to production that I know of.
3. Running on 915 Mhz means my current displays ( I have 3) will not work.  Will there be other displays available?

I was a tester for the original 5 in 1.  Sure would have liked to have been asked to test this unit.

Welcome back Rhino

Get well soon George!

Scalphunter:  How did you get the WU widget in your signature?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:09:47 PM by hdtvluvr »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2017, 11:56:17 AM »
I am seeing an update now that it may be June before the station is available... I will update the title.

Offline DC

Re: New Acurite Atlas 7/8 Elite Station ( April/June? 2017) HD Wifi FARS
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2017, 07:12:55 PM »
I have been learning/testing on an Acurite Pro+ 5n1 stand-alone system.  I would like to make a decision before the Atlas ships and/or the bugs get worked out.  So with some time on an this trip home, I put together this comparison of the published Atlas stats to the 5n1, Ambient Weather WS-1001-WF, Davis Vue, and Davis Pro2 (see attachment).   Let me know if I missed anything.  My research has been primarily focused on the Acurite and Davis.   Nothing against AW, but I prefer the Acurite wind speed measurement and sensor design for my location.  At later date I will post benchmark results, review, etc. 

My guess is the Atlas 7/8 will be an upgrade in accuracy and quality from the 5n1.  The Atlas Elite will be an upgrade in accuracy in quality from the Atlas 7/8.  I wouldn’t expect these products to be totally bug free initially and some will have bad sensors from the box or within in a short period of time.  However, due to the experience with the Pro and Pro+, smart hub, My Acurite over time, I expect the Atlas products to be very good.   When looking at the accuracy specs two items stand out to me compared to Davis, wind speed and barometric pressure (although improved in the Atlas products still behind Davis).  What is your best guess on pricing?  My best guess is $225 for the Atlas 7, $300 for the Atlas 8, and $400 for the Atlas Elite.

My ratings  (simple scale of poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)for these three vendors which I put in the less than $1,000 all-in-one wireless category.   

Davis Vantage Pro2   Excellent
   Davis Vantage Vue   Very Good
   Acurite Atlas Elite   Very Good
   Acurite Atlas 7/8   Good
   Acurite Pro+ 5n1   Fair
   AW  WS-1001-WIFI   Fair

I understand some do not consider the Davis Pro2 to in the all-in-one category with the detachable anemometer, but until the Pro2 offers a package of separate wind, temperature/humidity and rain/solar/UV sensors, it belongs in this category IMHO and in certain environments accuracy will suffer due to the all-in-one ISS.  Still the Pro2 is the category market leader.  However, to be ‘Elite’ maybe a poor choice of words given the Acurite new naming, to be ‘world class’ separate components installed in the appropriate different locations are required.

Having said all this I am not ripping Acurite or Davis.  They both have a place in the market.  Frankly, I have been impressed and happy with my testing of the Acurite Pro+ 5n1 system.  It is early but it just works,  In the first week it has measured temps from -2 to 54F and winds up to 31mph.  Is it super accurate, for temperature yes, everything else probably not.  However, the Acurite system has provided a very fair representation of the weather at a lake house, which is fun and cool! Also, it has proven to be very useful for all with the HD display at a glance form +30' away to get temperature and wind speed that is immediate and relevant!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 07:17:28 PM by DC »

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2017, 08:09:58 PM »
Great comparison on the spreadsheet. A few observations. The VP2 (wireless) can be had for $428 at Scaled Instruments plus $117 for the software and datalogger plus shipping. I upload from WeatherLink to WU and CWOP every 5 minutes, not 15 per the spreadsheet. I think you should add whether the console display is in color or not and whether the console (datalogger) can communicate to the computer or however data is uploaded to WU et al via a cable or bluetooth or wifi. Not sure about the others, but Davis has a lot of upgrade features. For example, if you want to add a UV sensor or a fan in the ISS after buying a basic VP2, you can do that. Such upgradability would be useful in your analysis.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 08:25:05 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
Only the Acurite displays update the barometer at 12 minutes.

Stations using the SmartHUB update the baro once a minute.

Offline DC

« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 10:45:07 PM »
Great comparison on the spreadsheet. A few observations. The VP2 (wireless) can be had for $428 at Scaled Instruments plus $117 for the software and datalogger plus shipping. I upload from WeatherLink to WU and CWOP every 5 minutes, not 15 per the spreadsheet. I think you should add whether the console display is in color or not and whether the console (datalogger) can communicate to the computer or however data is uploaded to WU et al via a cable or bluetooth or wifi. Not sure about the others, but Davis has a lot of upgrade features. For example, if you want to add a UV sensor or a fan in the ISS after buying a basic VP2, you can do that. Such upgradability would be useful in your analysis.

Thanks, every 5 minutes that is the first I have heard and is great news and I will update the ss.  Since you know WeatherLink well, is the one minute update to Davis apps correct or can it done faster?

Will add the color console.  I found the Davis communications very confusing, complex and as you state a lot of option but will take a stab at that section again.  Happy to send you ss if you want to take a run at it as you have a lot more experience and expertise that I do... although I feel like I am no longer a novice, maybe an advanced beginner :) LOL !

anything