Author Topic: AcuRite Internet Bridge Stability?  (Read 3460 times)

Offline avalanch

AcuRite Internet Bridge Stability?
« on: May 29, 2013, 04:42:29 PM »
Ok this is my second post and I am thinking I made a mistake purchasing this piece of equipment. My Internet Bridge is very unstable, I think the longest it would work without having to reset is 9-12 hours, then it will stop reporting to My Backyard Weather, if I leave it, it might come back on, it might not. The bridge itself is not loosing connection to My Backyard Weather, but the 5 in 1 is. At first it will just stop updating, then the 5 in 1 will show a red "X" as if its not connected. I then go to the Bridge's web page and it shows signal, so I am confused. I have moved the bridge all over my house, heck right next to the 5 in 1 and it still only shows 1 bar of signal strength. If I pull the plug and reset the Bridge, it will work, but only for a certain amount of time. Is it possible I have a bad Bridge? To others out there, what is your track record with your Bridge, is it stable? I have only had this for 5 days and this is just not acceptable. I was hoping for much better performance from this. Also the firmware is up to date.

On a side note, I did call AcuRite tech support and they just kind of blew me off, telling me to move the Bridge to get a better signal, in fact they were on the phone with me less then 3 minutes, I feel like they don't care. I wonder if I could get a refund and just give up on seeing my weather on the internet. Thanks for reading and I would love to hear from others about their Bridge..

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Re: AcuRite Internet Bridge Stability?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
Sorry to hear about your trouble.  I'd advise to get a refund and get a Davis.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline avalanch

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 05:13:17 PM »
Ok someone finally talked to me and told me to bring in the 5 in 1 sensor from outside and set them up side by side and let them "pair", then try putting it outside and see if that helps. I plan on doing that, but have little faith it will make any difference, but we shall see. Funny thing is I have a display too, and it never looses connectivity with the 5 in 1, it's perfect and its in a room furthest from the sensor. When the Bridge and 5 in 1 work, they work good, I just don't want these drop outs in data that last hours longs. I am still into hearing others experience with the Bridge and 5 and 1 sensor. :)

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
I have a bridge and a USB 1035 console both updating data from the same 5-in-1 sensor to MBW, and have been running both in parallel since the second wave of bridges started shipping last fall.  The PC interface and 1035 were a hassle and shaky at first, but the bridge was literally plug-and-play last fall and I haven't touched it at all since.  (I actually just shut the PC interface feed down this morning, as I needed the outlet for my air conditioner.)  The bridge is rock solid, and has no reception issues with the 5-in-1 being 50-feet away...through two exterior and one interior wall (don't ask)...and running on Duracell batteries vintage 11/2011 that have made it through two northeast winters and counting.

It is possible that you received a bad bridge.  If you haven't tried yet, I would move the bridge around a little bit to see if it isn't being interfered with by some other piece of electronics nearby.  I haven't noticed any interference problems with the bridge near my cable box, TiVo, and wifi access point, and the AcuRite RF stuff has amazed me with its reliability and range compared with other consumer-grade wireless thermometers and stuff I've owned in the past.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline avalanch

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 01:06:42 PM »
So last night I did what AcuRite said and brought in the 5 in 1 and placed it 3 feet away from the Bridge. Of course at that distance it had full signal strength, if you just move it a little bit it drops to three bars. So what I ended up doing is moving the 5 in 1 to a different location on my house. So now the Bridge is literally 12 feet from the 5 in 1, and it is fluctuating between 2 and 3 bars. You would think at that distance it would be full signal strength, but I guess not. The location I had it before was about 60-70 feet away from the bridge and registered 1 bar. The good news is that Weatherunderground had no drop outs last night and is even going strong this morning. So I guess you have to have the sensor and 5 in 1 very close to each other. I will keep monitoring it and see what happens. Thanks for the replies everyone..

Offline avalanch

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »
vreihen can I ask what your signal strength is at 50 feet?

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
Three bars out of four.  Feel free to view it in MBW - 24:C8:6E:01:50:F5.  Note that the humidity sensor is one of the faulty ones, so ignore the bad data.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline BuckeyeGuy

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 10:45:54 AM »
You've either got a bad bridge or bad sensor suite (or both possibly). My 5-in-1 was about 200ft from my bridge (until I sold it), and I got 4 full bars always - through 1 exterior and 2 interior walls. My display is in the same location my bridge was and it gets 4 full bars, too.
Ray D
O-H!
Go Bucks!

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:58:39 PM »
@vreihen: when you have a 1035 you can use a weatherbridge/meteobridge to publish your data to the most relevant weather networks in the Internet or your private web server, mysql, etc. The unit has about the size of the aculink bridge, but can connect to your network via WLAN and much more...

Documentation on: "http://www.meteobridge.com"

Simulator on "http://config.meteobridge.com" just to get an idea who the appliance does interact with you.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick