Author Topic: No support from VWS for Acurite 01050  (Read 4142 times)

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
No support from VWS for Acurite 01050
« on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
Just received an email from Ed and there are no plans to support the new Acurite units with Virtual Weather Station. Cumulus also does not plan to add support. Thankfully, Brian at Weather Display has agreed to support the new stations.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: No support from VWS for Acurite 01050
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
We are starting out with Weather Display for sure, seems to be the most requested and widely used package.

We will continually be evaluating and adding support for the dynamic Acu-Link products and services, so make sure and voice your opinion- I can't always promise we can make it all happen, but I promise we will at least listen and seriously evaluate ALL comments from our friends on the WX Forums!

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:36:00 PM »
If you haven't already, you should speak with WUHU Software about working with your stations.  I have three different types of stations using the software and I am very happy with it.  He is also very responsive to user's requests and problems.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
What are these software developers' objections to supporting the platform?  Is there a technical problem, or is it that they can't get their hands on a PC-enabled console to develop/test on?  Just curious.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 05:42:11 PM »
What are these software developers' objections to supporting the platform?  Is there a technical problem, or is it that they can't get their hands on a PC-enabled console to develop/test on?  Just curious.....

This question came up in the Cumulus Forums http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5990&hilit=Acurite

As the software is "DonationWare" I can't say I blame the author (Steve).  He puts in an extraordinary amount of time and provides excellent support for
Cumulus and I would guess gets very little in the way of financial return. 

Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »
As the software is "DonationWare" I can't say I blame the author (Steve).  He puts in an extraordinary amount of time and provides excellent support for
Cumulus and I would guess gets very little in the way of financial return.

Do you think that AcuRite including a postcard in each box advertising support by a specific packages/packages to drive new users their way would change their mind?  Everything that I seem to buy recently comes with one or more "get the most out of your new widget" cards in the box, and AcuRite could use the concept to jump-start their PC interface ecosystem by pointing out compatible products to purchase.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline neondesert

• Forecaster
    • http://www.neondesertweather.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:22:03 PM »
Do you think that AcuRite including a postcard in each box advertising support by a specific packages/packages to drive new users their way would change their mind?  Everything that I seem to buy recently comes with one or more "get the most out of your new widget" cards in the box, and AcuRite could use the concept to jump-start their PC interface ecosystem by pointing out compatible products to purchase.....

Perhaps, but I really think that the most compelling reason to develop for the Acurite platform will ultimately be how popular it becomes.
Larry
"But it's a DRY Heat!"