Author Topic: Feeding data to Weatherlink 2.0 with non-Davis SW?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
Feeding data to Weatherlink 2.0 with non-Davis SW?
« on: February 05, 2018, 07:29:55 AM »
I am wondering if there are 3rd party programs out there, which feed Vantage weather data to the Weatherlink 2.0 service. To my knowledge the two ways Davis expects to get data to Weatherlink 2.0 are:
* using a WLIP logger, which can do it completely on itself
* using a Davis PC program that comes with an ID and key needed to upload data.

What options do Davis station owners have to upload data with their preferred 3rd party SW? None?
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Feeding data to Weatherlink 2.0 with non-Davis SW?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
Hi Boris: Brian was asking a similar question on another thread. My view was that Davis are simply not open to third-party uploads to wl.com. It's a Davis-only walled garden AFAICS and at the very least no non-Davis stations would be allowed to upload.

The upload protocol is not public, though it may obviously be discoverable. But what authentication steps are required is also an unknown - certainly you'd need a valid Davis-issued virtual DID I would have thought. I do rather suspect that if someone finds a way of doing it then Davis might be quick to introduce additional authentication steps BICBW.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 11:32:09 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
John, thanks for sharing your insight.

My thinking was not into the direction to give anyone access, but just the Davis station owners and may be they are also required to buy the Davis PC software, dump that purchase apart from the ID and key for upload and use Meteobridge (or alike) to upload to the Davis network. IMHO it would not put any harm to Davis and will ramp-up usage of their subscription based service, but it would need their willing to have a 3rd party involved.

From a technical perspective I doubt simulating an upload to their servers will be any challenge at all (even without docs) but I am not looking for beef with Davis. Anybody here having a good relationship to Davis who might support the idea?
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:27:35 PM »
I have been surprised at the negative knee jerk reaction on the other thread myself
it would only be from Davis hardware in the first place that a 3rd party program would do the upload
and how would davis know where the upload came from if it all passed through anyway
i.e what makes weatherlink.exe so special that a 3rd party program can't do just a good a job for providing the same needed data to weatherlink.com 2.0?
and as Boris says, it will open up potentially more customers for them to sign up to the paid service (i.e those 1000's of davis customers who do not run weatherlink.exe and do not have a IP data logger)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
Well that was just IMO of course. If someone wants to try it then contact Davis and ask for the protocol; or reverse engineer it and see what reaction you get. Maybe they'll be more sympathetic than I imagine.

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:03 PM »
At least I had a chance to speak up on the topic to their business development staff and they kindly told me, that they will check if doing so is in line with their overall business strategy. I think this is a fair consideration. I was asked to be a bit patient... so I will be.

Not all hope is gone yet ;-)

anything