Author Topic: wxindex.php page load times  (Read 1624 times)

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
wxindex.php page load times
« on: September 09, 2009, 11:57:34 PM »
 :shock: Finally getting around to setting up a site and I am a total noob to the WD template set. #-o Lots of questions on the way :lol:
The template wxindex.php page pauses while loading the wunderground animated radar gif images before it starts loading the ajax-dashboard. Is there a way to download them in the background while continuing to load the remainder of the page? I have noticed that a lot of users move/remove them altogether.

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
Re: wxindex.php page load times
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:28:46 PM »
Here is an image of what I am talking about. The first time you visit the page it pauses at this point for several seconds.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:37:14 PM »
I cant see your attachment (proxy issues at work with the way the forum attachments are setup).

I do see a pause when loading your site, but the wu gifs load instantly for me.  Its all the ajax forecast and other images that I show pausing at the bottom of IE.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:57:37 PM »
I have the same type of issue on my webpage as well.  It's not the same script as mentioned above, but it does always occur on pages that contain PHP code.  I believe the issue stems from the fact that most of our websites are on shared servers, and that it takes it a few moments for the server to process the PHP code, because it's busy doing it for the other 1,000 websites at the same time on that individual box. ;)

Example: Go to my website and click on the "Local with Lightning Detect" under Radar, it should be pretty fast.  It is an html only page with images from Wunderground.
Now click on my "Hurricane - Tropic Forecast", it is PHP, and is slow, most likely because of the server's PHP work load from other sites, and perhaps increasingly that the fact is I ask it to display all of the weather information in detail.  

You may also noticed that when you first pull up my website, it takes a second or two for the info in the Yellow "Weather Advisory Box" in the upper right corner to update.  But again I expect this from my web server, because I am using the cheapest hosting plan that Godaddy has to offer.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09