Author Topic: Vantage Vue up and running  (Read 808 times)

Offline VE7FQN

Vantage Vue up and running
« on: April 03, 2018, 12:56:20 AM »
Finally broke down and got a Vantage Vue. Received it today and I am up and running. Just moved my acurite 5n1 to another spot in the yard. Just noticing  the differences between the 2 units. Temp/Humidity fairly close readings. Biggest difference I have noted so far is barometric readings. Wind speed and direction run closely as well. Just a much quicker polling on the Vantage.
I would like to post my measurements to the internet sometime this spring. Which would be a good way of doing it? I have read weather link ip is not too great. So I was thinking maybe usb and bellfryboy or Pi 3. I know there may be a clone of some kind coming soon.

Doug

Offline sward6368

Re: Vantage Vue up and running
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 09:04:01 AM »
I use the Weatherlink IP with a wireless VP2 and have had no issues.  Was easy to setup and feeds data to both Weatherlink.com (v2), Weather underground etc.  I did not want to have a PC running 24x7 and didn't want to go the route of setting up a Pi etc. I did have a ethernet connection near to where I wanted to place the console making the IP link a good option for me.

I did have to install the local Weatherlink windows PC software long enough to change the data logging interval on the Datalink to be more often than the default (which I think was 30 minutes), otherwise the graphs on Weatherlink.com only represent 30 minute readings when it uploads hourly.  The current conditions do appear to be near real time.  But once I made that setting change I have not ran the WL windows software since.

Offline boldblue737

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:17 AM »
interesting, i read that you could view a console control of the WLIP in any web browser and change settings there without having to install the PC software. i also read it comes out of the box defaulting to recording WX for weatherlink at a rate of once every 60 seconds. i'll know so enough because i have one on the way and I'm a Mac user only.

Offline sward6368

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
Sorry for the confusion - I was only able to alter the default settings on the IP logger by installing thee Windows Weatherlink software on a Windows PC which allows you to alter configurations such as the data logging interval from the default 30 minute value.  I found those instructions in an older post on this forum.  The PC Weatherlink software allows you to change that setting which is stored on the IP logger itself (not in the Weatherlink PC software or weathlink.com) so once the change was made I no longer run the Weatherlink PC Windows software. 

Making that change for the default data logging interval from 30mins to eg 10 mins, allows the graphs on Weatherlink.com (v2) to have more granular data points.  However the Weatherlink IP only seems to upload archived data to Weatherlink.com (v2) at the top of the hour, and at that upload all your data points for the past hour are then seen in any graphs.  The bulletin page does appear to be real time data and not subject to the hourly upload.

Like you my home PC's are Macs, so I had to borrow a Windows PC long enough to load the Windows Weatherlink software to change the configuration on the IP data logger.  Since Davis seems to be moving towards the cloud / web model ideally there would be a way to alter configurations that reside on the IP logger through the web page or phone app while on the local network.

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »
However the Weatherlink IP only seems to upload archived data to Weatherlink.com (v2) at the top of the hour, and at that upload all your data points for the past hour are then seen in any graphs.  The bulletin page does appear to be real time data and not subject to the hourly upload.

That's standard for weatherlink.com and the IP logger - archive data is designed to upload just once an hour. [This would be different for anyone with a Connect or EM system where a new archive record is available at the plan interval, which could be every 5 minutes for anyone with a 5-min plan.]

And the 'real-time' is termed 'current conditions' because it's not really real-time - that would be every 2-3 seconds (which is available locally but is not the upload frequency). So, for example, you can't see true real-time wind data on wl.com, but you can see a wind speed reading updated once per minute (actually the browser only auto-refreshes every 5 minutes, but you can refresh it manually to see the per-minute data).
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything