Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 630717 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #1425 on: February 09, 2016, 03:32:24 PM »
Hi Brett,
Im sorry Im not sure I understand what exactly you mean, could you try to explain a bit more?

Offline Brett001

« Reply #1426 on: February 09, 2016, 05:29:09 PM »
Hi Brett,
Im sorry Im not sure I understand what exactly you mean, could you try to explain a bit more?

Hi,

Well...I thought something like that:

The text from a yyyymmdd.txt format file.

Regards
Zoltán    :) 

Offline chweather

• ToowoombaWeatherLive
« Reply #1427 on: February 10, 2016, 03:46:27 AM »
I fixed the date problem in Chrome with the new digital clock, All you have to do is open chrome settings, go to show advanced settings and scroll down to Language and input settings. Under languages click on ADD and scroll down till you find your correct language eg. English (UK) or what ever it is, then click finish and close all browsers. reopen you browser and it should be working correctly.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1428 on: February 10, 2016, 05:00:58 AM »
Hi Brett,

Hi,

Well...I thought something like that:

The text from a yyyymmdd.txt format file.

Regards
Zoltán    :)

I see Zoltan, but the problem is - how is the script supposed to know this or derive this from the data :D

Offline SimonB

• Contributor
    • meteo.capetown
« Reply #1429 on: February 10, 2016, 10:06:41 AM »
It is possible but not an easy thing to implement. We do it in our business.

Think of it as reverse of text mining.

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
    • Apeldoorn-Oost The Netherlands
« Reply #1430 on: February 10, 2016, 12:37:23 PM »
Errors in Wu Forecast Block:

Hi Jachym I've setup 4.1 just one error (till now discovered) the wu-forceast gives errors no idea what see my temporily template http://apeldoorn.tk/mx/index.php

Ignore this I filled out a wrong WU-apikey  ](*,)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 01:53:52 PM by nitrx »
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL
http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl

several languages

Offline nitrx

• Senior Contributor
    • Apeldoorn-Oost The Netherlands
« Reply #1431 on: February 10, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
Well I must say the blocks are a good feature well done Jachym  =D>

Waiting for the realtimegauses block  \:D/
Ron
Cumulus software
Apeldoorn NL
http://www.apeldoornmeteo.nl

several languages

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1432 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »
Just a quick post about some blocks for which I received suggestions:

1. visitor count
This would be redundant. If you want to count visitors then I highly recommend the great and free Google Analytics service, which I use myself on all pages I ever had. It is extremely easy to add this, simply copy/paste the code that Google generates for you. In case of Meteotemplate, the best idea is to actually paste this code in the header.php, because you then get all views counted and you only have to copy the code once. The GUI then shows you very detailed info, which a person like me, who loves statistics (as you have probably noticed based on the weather station stats I have in my template) enjoys quite a lot. You can filter results by all sorts of parameters including location, time span, or even browser type, OS, desktop/phone/tablet etc. etc.

2. YoWindow
I know some of you use this, but I do not plan on adding this into the template. One of the goals I set at the beginning and also mentioned in the wiki as an advantage, is that I do not want to use any outdated or potentially vulnerable technologies. Flash (used by the YoWindow) is a primary example of this. It does not even work on most phones these days (unless you specifically install plugins), it will soon stop working by default in browsers such as Chrome or FF, it is not secure and overall, it is a thing of the past. Basically everything (and even more) can be done today using HTML5 and CSS3, technologies previously unavailable, so Flash made sense - today it does not.

3. Gauges
Theoretically it is not a problem to add this, but I think it is better not to. It is of course desirable to have current conditions right up front on the homepage - but that is exactly what the current block is for. There are several reasons for why I think it is better than gauges. First of all, it is true that seeing number is more precise. Gauges could be difficult to read. You could argue that some gauges can also display the actual values, but then you are basically showing the same thing twice and the current block does the exact same thing. Second, lot of you want lot of blocks and so saving space is a good idea and you do not want redundant stuff to be there (gauges + values). But the most important reason is acutually related to the scripts behind these gauges.
One of the great things about this modular independent blocks is that you can include lots of them without affecting loading time. Some of them simply load slower and you see the spinner, but the rest of the page loads instantly. However, this still means that all the blocks must be loaded by the browser and into the computer memory. The more blocks you have, the more demanding your site will be. When I tried to put all the blocks on the homepage and opened it with my 1GB RAM laptop, it completely froze. And it is true that most of you probably have faster computers, but it would still be quite slow. Most gauges, especially the ones that look good and are more sophisticated, use extensive JavaScript, which is ok on its own, but having all that loaded along all the blocks and scripts necessary for displaying the homepage as such (the interactive banner, the menu, the stats in the menu bar, all the blocks...) is really not ideal and can significantly affect the user experience.
In my opinion it is more important to get the information you want in a clear, fast and easy to use manner, then having all those fancy gauges turning up and down, left to right, full of shadows and 3D effects.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #1433 on: February 11, 2016, 06:34:34 PM »
I've got the meteoalarm warning issue again. It says warnings in 3 regions, but the map is empty. The warnings are for tomorrow. Could this be down to a timezone issue?

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1434 on: February 11, 2016, 07:08:55 PM »
I dont see 3 warnings, either way, it could be that Meteoalarm sometimes does not update the RSS channel on time.

Sorry I used the old URL, yes I see 3 warnings and I see them all on the map.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #1435 on: February 11, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »
I dont see 3 warnings, either way, it could be that Meteoalarm sometimes does not update the RSS channel on time.

Sorry I used the old URL, yes I see 3 warnings and I see them all on the map.

They are there now, as it has gone past midnight here. The map was empty at 11:30pm, but the warnings were listed.  #-o

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1436 on: February 11, 2016, 07:31:04 PM »
Yes, Meteoalarm issue, they sometimes have delays (and often the site is completely down...). Unfortunately it is the only integrated source of weather warnings for Europe.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #1437 on: February 11, 2016, 07:45:31 PM »
Yes, Meteoalarm issue, they sometimes have delays (and often the site is completely down...). Unfortunately it is the only integrated source of weather warnings for Europe.

Okie dokie, not to worry. Wunderground have a Euro warning forecast page, although it's not quite as nice. http://www.wunderground.com/severe/europe.asp

It looks like someone got the crayons out!  :lol:

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1438 on: February 11, 2016, 07:49:00 PM »

Okie dokie, not to worry. Wunderground have a Euro warning forecast page, although it's not quite as nice. http://www.wunderground.com/severe/europe.asp

It looks like someone got the crayons out!  :lol:

Didnt know about and never seen this page before, but hey...

WHERE IS MY COUNTRY?!

I guess this even deepened my feelings about WU :D

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #1439 on: February 12, 2016, 08:23:52 AM »
WHERE IS MY COUNTRY?!

I guess this even deepened my feelings about WU :D
I think the same place as Austria, Portugal, etc.  That is, without any current alerts?
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1440 on: February 12, 2016, 08:26:30 AM »
Not to mention the fact that none of the links work, even for the countries that are listed below the map....

just proves my point though - Meteoalarm is the only reliable source of data

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #1441 on: February 12, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
Not to mention the fact that none of the links work, even for the countries that are listed below the map....

just proves my point though - Meteoalarm is the only reliable source of data
Point made.  I didn't get that far into the links, but they are, as you point out, dead.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #1442 on: February 12, 2016, 03:16:25 PM »
I've recently been having issues with Meteobridge saying http uploads are inactive and as a result my site saying "offline"

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1443 on: February 12, 2016, 04:25:03 PM »
Ok let's take it step by step.

If you try the link specified in mb manually in the browser,  does it update?

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #1444 on: February 12, 2016, 05:29:35 PM »
Ok let's take it step by step.

If you try the link specified in mb manually in the browser,  does it update?
I seemed to have figured out that issue. I just re instealled meteotemplate since there was no v2-v3 file. Im having some trouble setting up homepage along with Canadian warnings

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1445 on: February 12, 2016, 05:34:44 PM »
OK, we can work on that, so what exactly is the problem now. I was trying to access your page, but was unable to do so, which is why also the HTTP probably fails.

Sorry now it works fine, loads default 4.1

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #1446 on: February 12, 2016, 05:41:30 PM »
OK, we can work on that, so what exactly is the problem now. I was trying to access your page, but was unable to do so, which is why also the HTTP probably fails.

Sorry now it works fine, loads default 4.1
On the warnings page I'm getting :"
Fatal error: Call to a member function find() on a non-object in /home/aidan/public_html/plugins/warningsCanada/dataLoader.php on line 14"

And as for the homepage... im sorta just completely confused as to how I set it up with blocks

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1447 on: February 12, 2016, 05:42:22 PM »
Im having some trouble setting up homepage along with Canadian warnings
You'll have fun adding in ALL the blocks that you want need!

That is also the same error I get with Warnings Canada plugin http://ajaxweather.ca/plugins/warningsCanada/index.php

Paul

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #1448 on: February 12, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »
scratch that I think I figured the blocks out!

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #1449 on: February 12, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »
Ad warnings:
I think one other guy, Carl figured out the problem. It has to do with the URL you use. I will try to find the link to where he explained what worked for him