Author Topic: What kind of casing to use with a RED Ctrl 10 V3 board  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Cleofide

• Orange, FR
    • METEOrange
What kind of casing to use with a RED Ctrl 10 V3 board
« on: August 21, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to gather as much info as I can before starting to set up my system RED kit and I am wondering what kind of casing to use to shelter the controller board. Given that there is an LCD module and two push buttons, I am a bit lost. What do you use with your systems?

Would it be possible to drill a couple of holes into the case so that I could slightly move the board away from the inner top of the case?

Thanks for your advice, ;)
Florian-Pierre Zanardi,
http://www.meteorange.fr/
Wireless VP2, double solar-paneled daytime FARS, Anemometer Transmitter Kit.

Offline Ian.

• Forecaster
    • Chatteris Weather
Re: What kind of casing to use with a RED Ctrl 10 V3 board
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2013, 02:41:37 PM »
Hi,

I went the other way, rather than enclose it, I simple put it inside an old picture frame

http://www.chatteris.biz/blitzortung_build.html

I think it looks like active wall art and is a good conversation peice to those who venture into the man cave, suppose dust may be a problem but to date it's still looking good.
CWOP - DW3371
PWS - ICAMBRID16
https://www.chatteris.biz

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:42:02 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cleofide

• Orange, FR
    • METEOrange
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 12:34:26 PM »
Thanks to you all,
Miraculon, using a clear cover box sounds like the best way to go for me. Turning my controller board into a Disco art frame sounds awesome, but I don't expect my parents to put up with it in the office :grin:

Cutty Sark Sailor, I have a side question: on one of your pages, you said:

UPDATE: 8/14/2013 The little power supply was only holding about 4.69-4.81 volts, so I have replaced it with a better regulated 5V supply, holding it within 4.94-5.01 volts. I have always said that 1% beats 6%, unless you're talkin' beer...

Did you find that a 6% variance in the voltage somewhat disturbed/interfered with the detection rate (or generated extra noise)? I have ordered the 'original' Blitzortung power supply. Don't really know what to expect from it now.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 12:36:21 PM by Cleofide »
Florian-Pierre Zanardi,

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 01:20:27 PM »

Offline Cleofide

• Orange, FR
    • METEOrange
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
Wow, your set-up is the most successfully completed I have seen so far. You even added a couple of remote buttons on the side. I think I just might copy you somehow  :-P (if you're okay with that).

Do you use shielded wire cables on your system?
Florian-Pierre Zanardi,

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 01:38:54 PM »
The remote button wires are not really shielded.

I do use shielded two-conductor wire from my antennas to the amp. The CAT5 cable connecting the amp to the controller is shielded.

Feel free to copy away! I did!

Best,

Don

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 02:35:49 PM »
Thanks to you all,
Miraculon, using a clear cover box sounds like the best way to go for me. Turning my controller board into a Disco art frame sounds awesome, but I don't expect my parents to put up with it in the office :grin:

Cutty Sark Sailor, I have a side question: on one of your pages, you said:

UPDATE: 8/14/2013 The little power supply was only holding about 4.69-4.81 volts, so I have replaced it with a better regulated 5V supply, holding it within 4.94-5.01 volts. I have always said that 1% beats 6%, unless you're talkin' beer...

Did you find that a 6% variance in the voltage somewhat disturbed/interfered with the detection rate (or generated extra noise)? I have ordered the 'original' Blitzortung power supply. Don't really know what to expect from it now.

Thanks,
First, unless they have changed it, the kit supply is for 230V/50HZ, and has European plug. It didn't work for me. Even busting it open and attaching a plug, output too low.
Second, Before I determined the source of some interference, I felt the lower varying supply, might have been an issue... that's the main reason I changed it. The other reason was it just bothered me... Did it make a difference? I think so, as far as the systems 'feel' if you will, and I don't have to 'juggle' the gain so much... but there are other factors involved, such as a couple of firmware updates, etc. Was it worth it? ... For me, it was... Did it make a significant documentable difference? No, not that I can really tell. I can tell you this: with the LCD display turned off, it is a rock steady 5.0-5.1 volts. It's 4.94-4.98 with the LCD lit. BTW, I did try several different USB charger types, with similar results, before obtaining the PS I'm running now.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 02:38:01 PM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
When I placed my original Blitzortung RED kit order, Egon recommended that I NOT order the 5V power supply he was selling because it was designed for 220V/50Hz and I would be better off buying one designed for the US market.

So, I ordered what he calls Option 4 which does not include the 5V PS. Since my kit hasn't arrived yet, I can't comment of how the PS I ordered will work. The PS I ordered came from AdaFruit.com. It costs $5.95 plus shipping. I also ordered the USB to mini-B cable that goes with it. They state the PS was designed to output 5.25V due to the drop in voltage under load and small wire sizes used. I don't know if that will have any operational impact of the Blitzortung kit or not. There are others on the USATOA forum who have also used that same PS and I haven't heard anyone complaining about it. Here is a link to the PS:

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Cleofide

• Orange, FR
    • METEOrange
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 06:41:59 AM »
I am in Europe so it shan't be a problem for me to use the 5V supply. I guess I just have to wait 'til it hits my door now.

Best,
Florian-Pierre Zanardi,

anything