Author Topic: Just order the STC800 solar panal  (Read 5862 times)

Offline phil2010

Just order the STC800 solar panal
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:22:00 AM »
Im going to be moving my anemometer onto the side of my house,, probably the chimney pot and I thought Id order the solar panal as it will be very hard to change the batts once its up there. Also Im in a wheelchair so it makes it even harder as I cant do it myself.

Im I rightly thinking, I will need to open the solar panel and connect up the batt when I receive it. Also I guessing I still need batts in the anemometer aswel?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Just order the STC800 solar panal
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 10:20:43 AM »
Phil, I don't own an OS station but do remember reading about people using the STC800. There seems to be some confusion with possibly some internal batteries in the unit and the included manual/instructions lack of explaining them. From what I've read it appears that the batteries have a removable tab that connects them to the circuit to activate them. The manual makes no mention of this and people just use the unit as a solar panel only, no battery supply. I can't verify this but is what I've read. Maybe OS has updated the instructions now but if this is true then I would open it up to verify before installing it.

Offline phil2010

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »
Received the panel today, and the battery wasn't connected, So Ive connected it up and Ive left the panel outside recharging. I think I'll leave it outside untill I come to connect it all up, hopefully Monday evening and then the batts should be well charged up in the solar panel.

Im guessing I use either lead on the solar panel to connect the anemometer up as there are 2?

Maybe OS has updated the instructions now but if this is true then I would open it up to verify before installing it.

No manual at all, never even come in a box, it was just in a bubbled wrapped bag. the bracket arm hasn't even any screws or U bolts to fix it to a pole or surface. but It did say in the product description............

This solar cell comes with one bracket-arm which can be screwed or bolted (screws and bolts not included) to your mounting surface.

Please note there are no instructions with the item as it is a spare part. When installing you need to connect the wires inside the solar cell to make connection between the solar cell and the rechargable battery.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:59:06 PM by phil2010 »

Offline phil2010

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »
The anemometer is now on the side of my house with the solar panel, I just hope the solar panel is working, as you cant tell if it is or not.. here are 2 pics guys...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:52:02 PM by phil2010 »

Offline phil2010

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:25:39 PM »
Any idea how strong these anemometers are, as a jackdoor perched on the vane today?. It looks and seems ok.

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »
Allot better than other stations in the price range. I've had Lacrosse and those are the worst. They seem to break just by touching them lightly. My WMR200 has stood up to marble hail with no issues. Never seen anything larger so I don't know.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 07:58:35 PM »
Allot better than other stations in the price range. I've had Lacrosse and those are the worst. They seem to break just by touching them lightly. My WMR200 has stood up to marble hail with no issues. Never seen anything larger so I don't know.

My vue has seen ping pong hail. So has the panasonic bl140. All is well

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »

My vue has seen ping pong hail. So has the panasonic bl140. All is well
The Vue along with the more pricey stations are better built. The WMR200 does well for the 100-250$ range.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline phil2010

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:02 AM »
Also now with it higher up, I was hoping that the windvane would be more constant, but its still waving all over the place? :sad:

Offline Stetson1

• Cordera Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Cordera Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 11:09:52 AM »
My Zephyr (Fine Offset clone) is up at the 30 ft level and has done well in high winds, heavy rain and quarter size hail now for a couple of years.

Todd

Offline phil2010

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
...if that "waving" is happening mostly at low wind speeds, and not so much at high wind speeds, it might be just eddy-current winds shedding off the roof of your house.

Ive only had quite low winds since moving the anemometer, between 0-8mph, Heres a vid to show you what I mean http://youtu.be/TVEzdJ2z7Yw

Offline phil2010

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »
I dont get it,, this afternoon the wind picked up quite a bit but the cups didn't spin much at all. Now there is barely a breeze and the cups are spinning well?? :twisted:

I thought it would work really well where it is now, I guess I was wrong :-(
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:48:01 PM by phil2010 »

Offline OceanArcher

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »
Got my STC800 via the UPS truck late today.  No info, no manual, just the unit, the boom and the mounting hardware.  Opened it up and - yup - battery was not connected.  Hooked the battery up, and mounted it on the pole.  Ran one of the cables to the wind direction/speed unit, and coiled the other one up for later use.  The cable lengths on my unit are 24 inches each.  Seriously thinking about making these cables longer, but for right now, I'll work with what's there.

I'm not really interested in climbing up each month to re-adjust the angle of the solar panel for maximum output, so I'll leave it set to the spring/fall angle, which places the solar panel face at 60 degrees from vertical, and facing true south.  Again, this is the initial setting, so that may change as conditions warrant.

anything