Author Topic: How Low Can You Go?  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
How Low Can You Go?
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
How low, termperature-wise, can you go with an indoor webcam?  In my area it generally does not go much below zero so rather than buy an outdoor housing, etc. I thought I'd use a regular cam outside, under the eaves.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
Re: How Low Can You Go?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:01:12 AM »
That is exactly what I did. I'll let you know after this winter how my Aztak POS fairs.   Of course, it rarely gets below 15F, so it may not be a good test for your application.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 11:05:14 AM »
My Jan/Feb MIN MEAN temps are -3C and -5C respectively and it rarely stays cold for long.  Lake does not even freeze actually!  SO I think I might be OK.  It sure would make my life easier to not have to run heat to an enclosure.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »
Mine survived -25° but I've got a small heater in my enclosure
Tony

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
If you put an indoor camera in an enclosure, wouldn't it self warm itself to some degree in the winter, especially if some insulation such as poly packing foam was added?  In the summer time, the enclosure would be shaded from the direct sun by the eave to minimize excess heating.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
If you put an indoor camera in an enclosure, wouldn't it self warm itself to some degree in the winter, especially if some insulation such as poly packing foam was added?  In the summer time, the enclosure would be shaded from the direct sun by the eave to minimize excess heating.

I'm not sure much heat gets generated, but by the same token, the enclosure would keep the cold out.  A NEMA box with a clear front might be the ticket.  Good idea.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:20:15 PM »
I'll be finding this out also this winter. Put up a cam on Main St. in our town that is known to have worked down to 13 (even though it is rated at much higher then that), so we'll see how it does at -20+. Might just go pop.

www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
I'm not sure much heat gets generated ...

Even the lowest power USB cameras use a few watts and if you insulate that heat in, then you can lower the rated temp limit some. 
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »
To get some heat in to the enclosure you could use something like this.

It runs on 12v, I use it for my Leaf wetness sensor.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Fox_Of_The_Wind

• Forecaster
  • Hi there!
    • http://www.desotowiwx.com
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 03:47:28 PM »
To get some heat in to the enclosure you could use something like this.

It runs on 12v, I use it for my Leaf wetness sensor.

Anything like that for the States? looks like something I been looking for.

Anthony

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 03:56:22 PM »
It's a heater for a mirror so you may be able to find it over there as well.
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 05:45:34 PM »
Kapton or silicone heaters will work.  Example:  http://www.oemheaters.com/c-982-silicone-rubber-heaters.aspx

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 08:49:21 PM »
I use an Olympus SP-500UZ that has seen -20F and no heater mounted on a tower in northern Maine.  www.mooseheadlake.us

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
Most consumer-grade electronic components are rated from 0C to 70C. "Industrial" rated parts are rated from -40C to +85C. I work in Automotive electronics design and we use parts rated to +105C for entertainment products. Vehicle controls go to +125C.

I would think that most consumer grade webcams use the 0C to +70C parts. Often, there really isn't any difference with the components, it is just a different test flow at the IC manufacturer. I have however, experienced problems with electrolytic capacitors at very cold temps approaching -40C.

If your temperatures don't drop below 32F much (0C), you might be OK. I have a "weather proof" enclosure with a fan and heater. I think that the heater is worthwhile to keep the glass clear of condensation as well as any benefit for the circuitry.

I see that Olympus has a temperature range rating of 0C to 40C for this camera. With the sun beating on the enclosure, you might want to think about the high temperatures as well and consider a fan ventilated enclosure.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_archived_product_details.asp?id=1189&fl=4
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:49:11 PM by miraculon »

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
Good point on the temperatures.  I enclose the camera in a box sealed tight and put a generous amount of silica gel inside to absorb moisture and have had no problem with internal condensation.  I put an aluminum visor on the outside with a 1/4" air gap to the box to act as an insulator to direct sunlight.  Seems to work ok as had not had a failure with this setup.  This is New England and not Arizona though :)  Note I kept the visor small as I was concerned about wind loading.

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 12:02:59 PM »
Some years ago i had a 20€ basic normal usb-webcam outside in -25C without any warming, only shield was a homemade wooden box so not all snow/rain get in but it was not weatherproof in any way, no problems.  :lol:

Also my current IP-cam worked fine last winter in below -20C with the basic aluminuim-enclosure with window without any external heating.  :lol:
An another's finnish station's Ip-cam worked laso fine in ~ -40C but i'm not sure if he has external heating there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:07:24 PM by weatherc »

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
I have 2 Logicam Pro 9000 cameras in Halogen lamp enclosures, mounted on a pole outside my window. They have no heaters nor are they totally protected from moisture and they have been running for over 2 years straight with no problems.

JIm

Offline weatherc

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2011, 11:20:38 AM »
An another's finnish station's Ip-cam worked laso fine in ~ -40C but i'm not sure if he has external heating there.
The owner said
- IP-cam have sheild made by cam-producer what have heating
- but he have also a Logitech 9000 whats inside a halogen-thingy WITHOUT heating and it has worked fine too in -40C, no problems at all ;)

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:30 AM »
I have several security cameras mounted outside. The lowest temp has been about 12°F since I installed the system five years ago. They have operated fine. I'd say yours will probably be be okay.
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 11:40:58 PM »
Thanks for all the great info folks!  Much appreciated.  I now have ot decide how much to spend.  And on what...