Author Topic: Status & Signal page questions  (Read 1085 times)

Offline cbh3

Status & Signal page questions
« on: April 01, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »
Hello,

I've been interacting with my new station for a week now each day (#1737) and reading up on "things" in this new to me ecosystem. Please forgive the repetitive questions if threads exist elsewhere on this forum. Searching did not yield the results I was looking for.

Status page / Tracker section / Signals row
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
I need an explanation of Received vs. Good vs. Sent. I'm guessing that Received are signals that trip thresholds, but does the local software determine which of those are Good? And why aren't all Good signals Sent? Just want to understand the intention of each.

Status page / Tracker section / Graph display
I understand the red line and am assuming it is meant to match the signal numbers to the left. My question is when the blue drips down does that mean that signals were not sent (for one reason or another) that should have been? Should the graph background be green nearly all of the time?

Signals page / Channel list
What do the L, A, and P markers represent when a signal is displayed?

Again I apologize if this is listed somewhere. If you would please point me to these threads, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:32:05 AM by cbh3 »
WU: KROCKF4 || CWOP: C9861 || CoCoRaHS: MI-KN-83 || Blitzotung: 1737
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus --> Meteohub
weather.huffman.info

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: New guy questions
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:57:47 AM »
Cutty (Mike) posted this on the Blitzortung forum some time ago:

L = Signal is below the threshold
 P = Signal is below threshold * adjustable_percentage
 S = Spike detected
 M = Amplitude too high (currently not enabled)
 A = Automatic filter by amplitude
These indicate the status on that channel for that signal in controller firmware filters, (NOT the optional LP filters for BLUE) 
If the time above the graph is red, than NONE of the channels were sent.
If a channel is marked red, then it might not be used for sending: 
If filters flags like "L" or "A" are present on all channels, no signal will be sent ("AND" condition).
Others, like "S" need only one filtered channel, and the whole signal won't be sent.
40 is the fixed gain of the amplifier channel, which is hardware, firmware established and not adjustable.

It would be nice if there was a "help" icon that would show this. I had to go search the forum over there myself...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline cbh3

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »
Excellent! Thanks Greg.

Chuck
weather.huffman.info

Offline cbh3

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
Can someone help me out with the "Station Page" questions above, or point me to a discussion about them? Thank you!
weather.huffman.info

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
Re: Status & Signal page questions
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »
A 'good' signal is simply one that met the basic criteria in your settings.  It does NOT mean the server will regard it as Good. It does NOT mean it was sent, because it may have failed some 'server' sent paradigm to your specific controller... that you never know is there. It could also have had send attempted while the server was talking to your controller, instead of the other way areound,.   Remember, this is a NETWORK... not single stations... other stations catch what is missed by your stations, or not sent by your station. A failure to send could even be a momentary GPS timing error likely aren't aware of!  Lotsa reasons.
The graph is a "total' approximation... lower blue means lower quantity.

Greg gave you the correct information on the display annotations... don't put too much emphasis on the graph Tobi puts there for quick reference... that's all it is... a quick look-see...
When I get time, I'll get all the new Americas (region 3) stations added to the displays on "Sferics' so that you can watch your samples, check your 'zero crossings' etc...
Just been busy with other stuff...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:29:06 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline cbh3

Re: Status & Signal page questions
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 11:35:54 AM »
This is great information. I think many of us (new people) make assumptions about those numbers and what's happening.

I was on the Sferics site earlier today and even though I wasn't specifically listed, I just modified the URL for my station number and was able to see my data coming in. Now I also know where to look when wondering about the gain being used by other stations in the network. A handy source for that.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 11:53:57 AM by cbh3 »
weather.huffman.info

anything