Author Topic: Some first time celestial sites for me tonight.  (Read 1926 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Some first time celestial sites for me tonight.
« on: January 10, 2012, 07:55:01 AM »
Thanks to a 'heads up' from Mark (Downlinerz2) on some upcoming night sky opportunities, I did manage to see some new and exciting things (to me) this evening. First, Neptune is very close to the bright beacon Venus in the west just after sunset making it an easier find. Sure enough I found it right away. Using a star chart program I saw where Uranus is supposed to be (insert joke here) and it was an easy find too. I thought it was great, two firsts for me. I then swung the back buster around to look up at Jupiter almost straight up and it's 4 closest moons. Only 3 of the nearby moons where visible (at first). I noticed a small black spec on the surface of one of Jupiter's bands. I inserted a higher magnification for a closer look. Another first for me, a moon shadow from the missing moon that I could now see, barely. What an evening and I probably would have missed it if Mark hadn't alerted me.
Thanks Mark! Maybe later I'll get a chance to see some of the other events you mentioned.  :-)

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
Re: Some first time celestial sites for me tonight.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »
Mark on your calendar.....transit of Venus across the sun on June 5th !

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 06:06:23 AM »
Now I will have to purchase that sun filter for my Dob.  Oh well, I have been needing to get one for a while now.
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 06:18:57 AM »
I've been putting it off too long as well. I see Orion has some deals right now on Dob/Newtonian full aperture filters. The only problem for me is they only ship them stateside. I'm still thinking about ordering one to my folks in Fla. and have them mail it. I've searched for solar film over here to make my own but unsuccessful. That Venus transit would make for some cool photo opportunities.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 03:11:32 PM »
Very nice, I'd love to get into astral photography, but as it stands right now I'll just have to settle for trying to shoot the milky way.  :(  Someday though I hope to get a nice scope.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
DanS, I have been a customer of Orion for several years now and you simply cannot beat their sale prices.  IMADreamer, check out your local astronomy club.  Most have a buy/sell forum on their website and you can usually pick up some nice scopes at some great prices.  I am the forum administrator for my astronomy club and have seen some really high dollar scopes with little use on them sell for 1/2 the retail price...or even less if it is an older scope.  My club also loans out different types of scopes to members so that they can see how it works before making the investment. 
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:47:14 PM »
Very nice, I'd love to get into astral photography,

You want to get pics of people that have crossed to the other side ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: How about a pic of the guy that owes me $40 ?

Just kidding....its Astrophotography....typos happen.....I should know I have masters degree in typos.

anything