Author Topic: WU website down  (Read 5020 times)

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: WU website down
« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2017, 09:29:08 AM »
Every WU issue post I have read there has been a pack of moaners, about I how much they hate it and "you will so find how bad it is"  etc etc.  Not exact words but ya get me drift, I just don't understand why the necessity to constantly moan about it, that's all.

I don't either. I guess some people just need something to complain about.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2017, 10:00:45 AM »
I was not the one who created this thread ;)

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »
Funny that someone has the time to post 13 messages in this thread but then claims they don't have the time to craft a single email to WU with their opinions  :roll:

Offline openvista

• Forecaster
    • marquetteweather.com
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2017, 10:22:35 AM »
Jáchym, the averaging method you mentioned (Tmax + Tmin / 2) is the one that NOAA uses, I believe, to calculate mean temperature. I'm not even completely convinced that's WU's method. I've occasionally noticed very small errors in their mean temp (like two or three tenths of a degree off) using the above method as reference. I agree, it would be better to take the raw values and average them ALL.

You won't hear any arguments from me against your other points. I will add that CWOP (NWS citizens network) does the same thing -- punishes you in data quality scores for what your neighbors are doing.  I've gone to great lengths to site and maintain my equipment as best I can only to be told that I am off because my neighbors have old sensors, didn't bother to put in their elevation in the barometer setup or put their anemometer near ground level in a sheltered area. That stuff drives me nuts. At minimum, there should be a form to communicate your siting details to any provider. Best case scenario, there should be humans with basic training in siting that can review your site (using the form data and pictures) and make a judgement call as to how you get weighted in the quality algorithm. Of course, this assumes competent, objective people who can 1) train others and 2) receive such training. These days, you might as well ask a bear to play golf.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:27:56 AM by openvista »
Davis Vantage Pro2 AC FARS | https://marquetteweather.com | EW7933

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
Funny that someone has the time to post 13 messages in this thread but then claims they don't have the time to craft a single email to WU with their opinions  :roll:

I have the time, but why should I bother when it is ignored.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2017, 01:53:54 PM »
Read my second point... I think it is pretty obvious...I dont have time to waste to be quite honest...

I just find it ironic that people will spend hours and hours complaining but will not do anything to solve the problem. If someone cares about enough to complain over and over they should care enough to be persistent to do something about it. Don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution, but I guess some are just complainers and some are doers. Seems to be big part of the problem in the world now.

anything