Author Topic: VP2 - Corrupted Firmware  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Jvietri

VP2 - Corrupted Firmware
« on: April 13, 2019, 02:16:07 PM »
Hello,

Today I tried to update my firmware to the latest version and once the process started it got to updating page 8 of 504 and then i got a communication error.  I tired it again, it went a little higher (like page 14) but same thing. 

Now my console seems to be bricked.  I unplugged it for over an hour.  I plugged it back in and all i get is a single beep and a totally blank screen.  I can still see the weather station on my network (can even ping it) but it does not appear to be working.  Not sure what to do here so any advice or trouble shooting tips would be greatly appreciated by anyone here.  I am afraid i need to buy a new console..  :(

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: VP2 - Corrupted Firmware
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »
1. Make absolutely sure that you're using the correct F/W version for your console;
2. Check that your console is not too old for the update you're attempting to use;
3. Power the console down completely (ie no batteries either) & ensure that the logger is _fully_ home on its pins & not loose at all. Repower and check that you hear the correct number of beeps.
4. Keep trying the update;
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »
In addition to johnd's suggestions, if this is a WLIP and you can still access the GUI interface, I would also try disabling uploads to weatherlink.com.
I would think that this would be disabled during a firmware update, but it might be good to eliminate the possibility. If you get it all working again, remember to re-enable the uploads.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Jvietri

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 04:49:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions, tried them all, nothing works.  Just getting one beep when I plug it in and a blank screen.  Still see it on my network but no weather data.  I should have just stuck with my current firmware.  Kicking myself...

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2019, 08:18:33 AM »
Try contacting Davis. Maybe they have a suggestion.

When I was still working, our microcontroller-based products had a boot loader that was in a protected area of memory. Maybe there is some way to force the console into a boot-loader mode that will allow the reflash. Or, maybe Davis can do it at their facility.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2019, 08:40:38 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, tried them all, nothing works.  Just getting one beep when I plug it in and a blank screen. 

You're not providing enough information for us to know what's going on. What sort of console is it, what sort of logger? Guessing it's an IP logger if you're talking about network? Definitely running on AC mains adapter?

How many beeps with and without logger (with network disconnected)?

Probably needs reflashing with an updater. But TBH sounds like there's something more going on here.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Jvietri

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2019, 05:00:29 PM »
Sorry,

Here is some more information.  It is a VP2 manufactured in 2008 so it is updatable from what I read.  The data logger is WeatherLink IP.  It beeps only once with the data logger plugged in.  It beeps only once also without the data logger. 

And running on AC only. 

What is the process of refalishing with the updater?

Offline AWL

• Forecaster
    • Ardmore Weather Live
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 07:07:12 PM »
Have a wired VP2 that has been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years now with a blank screen still all hooked up. Use a wireless for my stuff now. Anyway was looking at it today and got to wondering what was wrong. Pulled the batteries and AC and still nothing but a blank screen. Just got one beep when I powered back up. Was just going to give up when I pressed and held the "Done" button and all came up working just fine. May not fix your problem but you might try this if you haven't already. Sometimes it's the simple things.

Doug

Offline Jvietri

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 09:00:57 PM »
Thanks Doug,

I sure wish it would have worked.   No dice.. 

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 03:31:47 AM »
Here is some more information.  It is a VP2 manufactured in 2008 so it is updatable from what I read.  The data logger is WeatherLink IP.  It beeps only once with the data logger plugged in.  It beeps only once also without the data logger. 

And running on AC only. 

OK, I assume that when you say 'It is a VP2' then you mean a standard VP2 display console and not an Envoy? Then one beep without logger means that the console is not initialising correctly. Guess that could be the previous F/W update gone wrong or a fault that's developed coincidentally with the main console PCBA.

Assuming that's confirmed then difficult to see how you can avoid a return to Davis, either to replace the PCBA or to force an update via the updater. Updaters are no longer being sold by Davis and were quite costly anyway. It's not difficult to run an update with the updater but you do need to find one somewhere.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Phil23

• Senior Contributor
    • Phil's Backyard
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 05:31:21 PM »
More info needs to be available on firmware upgrades and recovery.

For 1 what mode does it boot to if firmware fails? Is there a TFTP mode, either by default or with a boot sequence.

But even if there is a TFTP mode, then where do you get the binary firmware image.

Having that single exe to update with annoys me, would rather see an updater app accompanied by a separate binary file with an alternate publicly published way of getting it there.

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 07:48:38 PM »
You're wacked in head.
The firmware works fine for us consumers and we don't need the crazies like you spewing nonsense.
Move on if you don't like Davis

For 1 what mode does it boot to if firmware fails? Is there a TFTP mode, either by default or with a boot sequence.

But even if there is a TFTP mode, then where do you get the binary firmware image.

Having that single exe to update with annoys me, would rather see an updater app accompanied by a separate binary file with an alternate publicly published way of getting it there.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 05:07:05 AM »

TBH I can't see anything changing on the firmware front at this stage - it is what it is.

The reality is that very few users seem to have problems doing an update - the process typically works as advertised. If a problem does occur then  it's usually because the wrong update file has been chosen or instructions & caveats (eg console too old) otherwise not followed. But this can generally be fixed by retrying - 2 or 3 times if necessary - the update with the correct firmware. True, very occasionally more serious issues like console lock-ups may occur but it is genuinely rare and may be a sign of a pre-existing problem with the console/logger anyway.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 11:44:45 AM »
You're wacked in head.
The firmware works fine for us consumers and we don't need the crazies like you spewing nonsense.
Move on if you don't like Davis

JudinNorman, this is an inappropriate and hostile response.  Do not engage in personal attacks that denigrate other posters.  You are free to disagree, but do so civilly without aspersions on their mental state/health.
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 07:49:31 PM »
Can you please confirm your weather infrastructure I.e do you upload to WeatherLink or do you have only devices or software connecting to your console?

1. I would recommend that you set the WeatherIP to a static IP address.

2. Connect the computer directly to the WeatherLink IP and configure network as appropriate.

3. When you execute the firmware update use the IP address and not device ID.

When you are stating you cannot see the weather, is the displaying data and if not have you reinstated a search to connect again?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2019, 03:49:48 AM »

My advice would be strongly NOT to do this. It's rarely necessary or beneficial and can often cause considerable problems at a later date if you change router, location etc.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2019, 03:53:51 AM »

My advice would be strongly NOT to do this. It's rarely necessary or beneficial and can often cause considerable problems at a later date if you change router, location etc.

It was a recommendation, and I would second that and for those that have the ability and knowledge to handle this it really is the best approach. This should always be clarified 

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2019, 05:03:08 AM »

It was a recommendation, and I would second that and for those that have the ability and knowledge to handle this it really is the best approach. This should always be clarified
Perhaps a better option for those who know how would be to add a DHCP reservation to their router?
Mark

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
VP2 - Corrupted Firmware
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2019, 05:16:54 AM »
The intent of the static IP address in this scenario is to enable a direct connection between the WeatherLink IP and the computer executing the firmware update and therefore reducing the chances of network disconnections or interruption.

As to whether or not you or other set up static ip or reservations is a personal choice and dependant on your knowledge, skills and confidence.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 08:09:54 AM by Brientim »

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2019, 06:09:18 AM »

Perhaps a better option for those who know how would be to add a DHCP reservation to their router?

That can be a little more confusing and complicated for most.

Offline Jvietri

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2019, 06:12:00 AM »
Yes, I have done this, connecting with a static IP address works every time.  It just every time I go to do the update, it starts and gets to anywhere between page 8 and 28 of 504 and then I get a communication error typically.  I have tried it at least 20 time and it is the same result each time.  That said this is all being done via WiFi however and wonder if that is the issue. 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2019, 06:15:53 AM »
WiFi ??? arh give me a break, just go back to basics, all this BT and WiFi stuff is starting to become a nightmare

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2019, 06:35:05 AM »
Yes, I have done this, connecting with a static IP address works every time.  It just every time I go to do the update, it starts and gets to anywhere between page 8 and 28 of 504 and then I get a communication error typically.  I have tried it at least 20 time and it is the same result each time.  That said this is all being done via WiFi however and wonder if that is the issue.
Do you have any other software or devices polling the Console?  I definitely would not be attempting this over Wifi. Keeps us informed on the outcome.

Offline Jvietri

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2019, 06:38:44 AM »
No nothing else is polling.  I will try direct connection next. 

Offline Brientim

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2019, 06:41:29 AM »
No nothing else is polling.  I will try direct connection next.
Good luck and hopefully success this time.

anything