Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109151 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #1075 on: April 19, 2019, 03:12:20 AM »
Hi,
Thanks!  I have the export settings for wunderground set up as:

Mode: enable
Station ID: KMNROSEM5
Password: WU Key
Interval: 1 min
Rapid Fire: Disable
RapidFire Int: 3 sec

I then go to WU and check my station and it's not showing up, when I click under my PWS and click on my stations name Radar and Rangers house, it tells me I am offline and the current condition map, all of the features say unavailable.  My internet connection is live and stable.  I can surf and go anywhere.  The VP2 console is providing data and temps etc like it always does and when I go to the IP address and click on real time data, the info is right there and matching what is on the console.  It appears that for some reason that info isn't getting transmitted to Wunderground.  What could be the issue?  I was using weatherlink 6.0.3 to upload it with the weatherlink software but I don't have the USB connected and went into the software and deleted my station number and password, so there is nothing logging into wunderground from a disconnected console...what else can I do?
thanks

Can you check if you don't have any fancy signs in password? Like #@!%^&*&*( ?

I've created a good many WU station IDs and helped out many people with their WU stations, and I've never seen a fancy sign key. Just Upper, lower and numbers. Not saying they don't exists...but I think I would have seen it by now if they did exist. But anything is possible especially with all the changes WU is making.

Also why not enable Rapidfire to see if it make a difference. But I would suggest setting Rapidfire to at lest 5 seconds or maybe 6 or 7 seconds as a minimum. I say this only because I've seen a few people with WiFiLoggers having issues where their station doesn't show proper Rapidfire updates.  Also the new WU only updates the Rapidfire last updated frequency every 5 seconds...so I think it should be a tad longer than 5 seconds to see it count and update.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1076 on: April 19, 2019, 03:29:10 AM »
Probably we have answer.

Mode: enable
Station ID: KMNROSEM5
Interval: 1 min
Rapid Fire: Disable
RapidFire Int: 3 sec

should be
Password: WU account password

Offline Coinmn

« Reply #1077 on: April 19, 2019, 07:12:46 AM »
Hi again!

My WU Key is only lower case letters and numbers.  I tried disabling the rapidfire and changing the settings to 5. I changed my password in the export settings to my WU password, I changed the station ID to my email address and password I use to get in to WU to access my account on WU.  Changed all of those back and forth every combination that I could think of and still no success.  I even tried setting it up as a new WU station with a new WU ID number and generated a new WU key and entered that info.  Still not showing up. 

How can I tell which firmware is on my Davis VP2 console?  When I see my console info when I access it through the IP address it doesn't show windchill and when I look on the console the windchill is indicated.  Also when I looked at network diagnostics on my computer when I access the IP address, it shows a reboot when I was first looking at the station at 4:48.?? this morning.  When I click on the www.wunderground.com  link on the top line of my data export box, it goes to wunderground, but sits on a black page and just spins doesn't seem to be able to access the website.  When I click on my saved WU link on my desktop it goes right to WU, when I type in the address by hand it goes right to WU.  Could there be something wrong in the link on the data export box? 
I'm open to doing anything so that I don't have to have my computer running all the time to post my weather info.  Please advise.  I do appreciate the help you are giving me.  All good ideas of things to try.
thanks and looking forward to any suggestions you may have.
thanks again
Frank

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1078 on: April 19, 2019, 07:18:15 AM »
Hi again!

My WU Key is only lower case letters and numbers.  I tried disabling the rapidfire and changing the settings to 5. I changed my password in the export settings to my WU password, I changed the station ID to my email address and password I use to get in to WU to access my account on WU.  Changed all of those back and forth every combination that I could think of and still no success.  I even tried setting it up as a new WU station with a new WU ID number and generated a new WU key and entered that info.  Still not showing up. 

How can I tell which firmware is on my Davis VP2 console?  When I see my console info when I access it through the IP address it doesn't show windchill and when I look on the console the windchill is indicated.  Also when I looked at network diagnostics on my computer when I access the IP address, it shows a reboot when I was first looking at the station at 4:48.?? this morning.  When I click on the www.wunderground.com  link on the top line of my data export box, it goes to wunderground, but sits on a black page and just spins doesn't seem to be able to access the website.  When I click on my saved WU link on my desktop it goes right to WU, when I type in the address by hand it goes right to WU.  Could there be something wrong in the link on the data export box? 
I'm open to doing anything so that I don't have to have my computer running all the time to post my weather info.  Please advise.  I do appreciate the help you are giving me.  All good ideas of things to try.
thanks and looking forward to any suggestions you may have.
thanks again
Frank

Frank
Please do not use KEY. Please use password to WeatherUnderground account.
Your ID is: KMNROSEM5
Your password is same which you need to put on WU website to LOG IN.
Station KEY is not used here.

Offline Coinmn

« Reply #1079 on: April 19, 2019, 08:05:00 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I used my pw for WU and still not posting.  Still says unavailable. I've posted a screenshot after changing to using my wu pw.  still nothing.

What else should I try.  I am fairly computer literate, so I have been following your suggestions.  At this point nothing I've changed in the data export boxes has worked, BUT I can see that it is posting to the internet because I can access it when I go to the IP address and see all the data there.  Are there any settings that I need to change in the advanced wifi setup. NTP server or TCP port.  The Tcp port is at the default settings of 2222.

So it looks like the wifilogger is getting my data to the internet, but for some reason it's not uploading it to wunderground.  What other settings can I tweek?  I am sending screen captures of wunderground page and my data export setup screen.  There aren't too many settings in the data export setup page that I can change and I've changed them all.  How does wunderground allow the data to login under my account if it's not using the username and password that I use to log in?  Does it also allow the data to upload using only my weather station ID and my password?
thanks
Frank

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1080 on: April 19, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I used my pw for WU and still not posting.  Still says unavailable. I've posted a screenshot after changing to using my wu pw.  still nothing.

What else should I try.  I am fairly computer literate, so I have been following your suggestions.  At this point nothing I've changed in the data export boxes has worked, BUT I can see that it is posting to the internet because I can access it when I go to the IP address and see all the data there.  Are there any settings that I need to change in the advanced wifi setup. NTP server or TCP port.  The Tcp port is at the default settings of 2222.

So it looks like the wifilogger is getting my data to the internet, but for some reason it's not uploading it to wunderground.  What other settings can I tweek?  I am sending screen captures of wunderground page and my data export setup screen.  There aren't too many settings in the data export setup page that I can change and I've changed them all.  How does wunderground allow the data to login under my account if it's not using the username and password that I use to log in?  Does it also allow the data to upload using only my weather station ID and my password?
thanks
Frank

Please send us screen shot from SETUP|Network Info
What firmware version do you have?

Offline rockncola

« Reply #1081 on: April 19, 2019, 10:01:29 AM »
Just checking in again here. Still 0 issues with WifiLogger.  Mine has been uploading flawlessly to PWS for the past month at least.

However, I really cannot stand the 0.1mm increments on PWS anymore. It puts my final rainfall totals so out of whack. Does anyone know an alternative website I can upload to that's compatible with 0.2mm increments instead? I'm not sure if Wunderground can...any others?

Sorry to bump, but....anyone? :(

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1082 on: April 19, 2019, 10:05:30 AM »
Just checking in again here. Still 0 issues with WifiLogger.  Mine has been uploading flawlessly to PWS for the past month at least.

However, I really cannot stand the 0.1mm increments on PWS anymore. It puts my final rainfall totals so out of whack. Does anyone know an alternative website I can upload to that's compatible with 0.2mm increments instead? I'm not sure if Wunderground can...any others?

Sorry to bump, but....anyone? :(

WeatherLink.com
AWEKAS

Offline Coinmn

« Reply #1083 on: April 19, 2019, 03:08:30 PM »
Hi again WiFiLogger!!

I had 1.31 original firmware that worked fine for the Davis wired USB datalogger with weatherlink.  I went to youtube and found out how to update my firmware.  I couldn't get the firmware to update via the wifilogger, so I hooked up the old datalogger and downloaded the firmware update exe file and it ran fine and update the firmware to 3.15.  I put the WifiLogger back in and saw that the wifi hookup was still working.  Nothing was happening.  I rebooted the console and almost immediately my console had some data appearing on WU, then within about 10 minutes, everything was updated and current.  This is going to be so GREAT!!  Thanks for your help!! You don't know how great my household is going to be without a desktop running in the office 24/7 for YEARS!!  I can shut everything down, move the console to a more convenient place.  I don't have to have it wired to a computer and it will still be uploading my data.

Now if I can just get my webcam to start uploading.  That will be my project for this weekend! 

I really appreciate your time and help.  You've made my week!!

Thanks
Frank

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1084 on: April 20, 2019, 06:25:20 PM »
Hello, Does anyone know why, when I start cumulus Version 1.9.2 while my WFL is, very happily, sending data to WU, the WFL Real-Time Data page shows a yellow(ish) banner that says, "Pause: auto" and it is quite apparent that my data is stopped from uploading to WU.  What/Where is the conflict?  Thank You!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1085 on: April 20, 2019, 07:42:26 PM »
The datalogger can only communicate with one device at the same time.  To allow WifiLogger and Cumulus to both have access there has to be allocation of time for each to connect. WiFiLogger has the AutoPause while Cumulus connects, and the disconnect period in Cumulus sets a time for it to disconnect so that WiFiLogger can do its uploads.  It is a compromise for both to work together.  It is somewhat the same for WeatherlinkIP, but WiFiLogger can do more things than WeatherlinkIP so it needs more time to be allocated.

There will be times that WiFiLogger will miss connection, and also times for Cumulus to miss connection.  What is your disconnect time in your Cumulus settings?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1086 on: April 20, 2019, 10:01:41 PM »
The datalogger can only communicate with one device at the same time.  To allow WifiLogger and Cumulus to both have access there has to be allocation of time for each to connect. WiFiLogger has the AutoPause while Cumulus connects, and the disconnect period in Cumulus sets a time for it to disconnect so that WiFiLogger can do its uploads.  It is a compromise for both to work together.  It is somewhat the same for WeatherlinkIP, but WiFiLogger can do more things than WeatherlinkIP so it needs more time to be allocated.

There will be times that WiFiLogger will miss connection, and also times for Cumulus to miss connection.  What is your disconnect time in your Cumulus settings?

Enjoy,
Paul

Thank you!. Where are the  "disconnect time"  settings in Cumulus?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1087 on: April 20, 2019, 10:37:02 PM »

Enjoy,
Paul

For Cumulus 1 it is in Station settings, Discon Period.  Click on Help on that page for information.

Rnjoy,

Paul

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1088 on: April 21, 2019, 09:30:34 AM »

Enjoy,
Paul

For Cumulus 1 it is in Station settings, Discon Period.  Click on Help on that page for information.

Rnjoy,

Paul

Paul, Thank You, my discon setting is "0".  Do you happen to know what it should be?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #1089 on: April 21, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
Hi @Gulfstrean4

For using Cumulus with the WeatherlinkIP I recall mention of around 5-10 sec (a bit of trial and error to see what gives the best for both) and I have mine at 20 (sec) so to give WiFiLogger some more time to do its things (I have WiFiLogger do all the available uploads and files).

p.s. if it is only Weather Underground you are concerned about and you are running Cumulus for other things then you can you can have Cumulus do that at realtime instead and not have WiFiLogger do the upload.  The benefit of WiFiLogger uploading is that it will continue even when Computer/Cumulus is not running.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Gulfstream4

« Reply #1090 on: April 21, 2019, 12:16:21 PM »
Greetings PaulMy,

Thank you sir for the info.  I really appreciate all of the sharing of information that I find here in this community.

Rick

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1091 on: April 21, 2019, 01:20:01 PM »
I have a WiFiLogger (firmware version 2.13) reporting my Davis Data to weewx, running on a raspberry Pi. The setup has been running without problems (other than occasional network glitches, responding to restarting weewx after a short delay) for a couple of months, since I installed the WiFiLogger. Today, I was suddenly deluged by crash/failed restart messages from weewx. It transpired that WiFiLogger was no longer responding at its fixed (by the router) IP address, though the VP2 console continued to display normally. I nevertheless powered down and restarted the console, and everything returned to normal. The console is powered via a newish APC UPS, which did not report any power problems, and no-one was anywhere near the console or the power connection when the logger (apparently) dropped off the network. Any thoughts as to what I should do differently if this happens again, and/or to prevent a recurrence?
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #1092 on: April 21, 2019, 03:33:55 PM »
Is the static IP outside the DHCP pool of IP addresses? 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #1093 on: April 21, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »
Is the static IP outside the DHCP pool of IP addresses?
Effectively, yes, since the router does not assign IP addresses that are associated with specific MAC addresses to anything else, even if it doesn't find the device with the relevant MAC address attached to the network. In addition, the router's DHCP address table still showed the logger's normal IP address correctly assigned to it, and no other device occupying the same address (nor was any device which could have been the logger assigned to a different address).
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline cwuthenow

« Reply #1094 on: April 29, 2019, 12:58:11 AM »
Hi,

I'm trying to get my Wifi logger to upload to wunderground.com and to talk to weewx. So far I only get JSON upload via MQTT working. Unfortunately this is only uploading US metric data which I need to transform into EU data formats which is not quite accurate as the JSON data only contains 2 digits.

I tried to update firmware using http://www.wifilogger.net/support.html. But I only can download v 2.0. Where can I download the latest firmware version? I've seen user with v. 2.13.

My weewx is not getting access to the console. Downloading the archived data and inserting it into my MySQL server is working properly but live data seems not to work. Can anybody pls post the config in weewx so that I can compare if my setup is faulty.

My current seetings and the logs look like follows:

Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: LOOP try #1; error: vantage: Expected 99 characters; got zero instead
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: ip-write error: [Errno 32] Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: ip-write error: [Errno 32] Datenübergabe unterbrochen (broken pipe)
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: Unable to wake up console
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: LOOP try #2; error: Unable to wake up Vantage console
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: LOOP try #3; error: Unable to wake up Vantage console
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: LOOP try #4; error: Unable to wake up Vantage console
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: vantage: LOOP max tries (4) exceeded.
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: engine: Main loop exiting. Shutting engine down.
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]: engine: Caught WeeWxIOError: Max tries exceeded while getting LOOP data.
Apr 28 08:03:17 nas weewx[7040]:     ****  Waiting 60 seconds then retrying...

weewx.conf is setup as follows:

[Vantage]
    # This section is for the Davis Vantage series of weather stations.

# Connection type: serial or ethernet
    #  serial (the classic VantagePro)
    #  ethernet (the WeatherLinkIP or Serial-Ethernet bridge)
       type = ethernet

# If the connection type is serial, a port must be specified:
    #   Debian, Ubuntu, Redhat, Fedora, and SuSE:
    #     /dev/ttyUSB0 is a common USB port name
    #     /dev/ttyS0   is a common serial port name
    #   BSD:
    #     /dev/cuaU0   is a common serial port name
    # port = /dev/ttyUSB0

# If the connection type is ethernet, an IP Address/hostname is required:
       host = [wifiloggerip] --> changed for the post but correctly setup in the real file

######################################################
    # The rest of this section rarely needs any attention.
    # You can safely leave it "as is."
    ######################################################

# Serial baud rate (usually 19200)
    baudrate = 19200

# TCP port (when using the WeatherLinkIP)
    tcp_port = 22222

# TCP send delay (when using the WeatherLinkIP):
    tcp_send_delay = 0.5

# The id of your ISS station (usually 1). If you use a wind meter connected
    # to a anemometer transmitter kit, use its id
    iss_id = 1

# How long to wait for a response from the station before giving up (in
    # seconds; must be greater than 2)
    timeout = 4

# How long to wait before trying again (in seconds)
    wait_before_retry = 1.2

# How many times to try before giving up:
    max_tries = 4

# Vantage model Type: 1 = Vantage Pro; 2 = Vantage Pro2
    model_type = 2

# The driver to use:
    driver = weewx.drivers.vantage

Thx for your support,
Carsten

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #1095 on: April 29, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »
What version of firmware do you have installed on your WFL ?. The last version of firmware  available for download from the link on this forum is v2.0. This update actually consists of two separate updates. V1.24S and v2.0. You perform the update to v1.24S and save all of it’s html files on your computer as described in the instructions. Follow the instructions exactly or you may have problems.
 After updating to v1.24S you need to update to v2.0. After updating to v2.0 you need to update it’s html files with the html files from v1.24S you saved earlier.
 After you have updated the html files and rebooted, your WFL will automatically update itself to v2.08. Make sure you wait at least 5 minutes or longer for the update to complete or it may not finish downloading the necessary files.
 After you have successfully installed 2.08, you can update to the current version ( 2.16 ) by opening the browser page located at http://wfl_ip/update ( wfl_ip is the actual ip address of your WFL on your system assigned by your router ). Pick either the US or EU server and hit update. After updating to any firmware version 2.15 or above there will be an update button on the System page of your WFL so any future updates are simple to make.
Remember do not reboot your WFL after doing an update until the update is completed or it may not fully install.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:13:09 PM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
What version of firmware do you have installed on your WFL ?. The last version of firmware  available for download from the link on this forum is v2.0. This update actually consists of two separate updates. V1.24S and v2.0. You perform the update to v1.24S and save all of it’s html files on your computer as described in the instructions. Follow the instructions exactly or you may have problems.
 After updating to v1.24S you need to update to v2.0. After updating to v2.0 you need to update it’s html files with the html files from v1.24S you saved earlier.
 After you have updated the html files and rebooted, your WFL will automatically update itself to v2.08. Make sure you wait at least 5 minutes or longer for the update to complete or it may not finish downloading the necessary files.
 After you have successfully installed 2.08, you can update to the current version ( 2.16 ) by opening the browser page located at http://wfl_ip/update ( wfl_ip is the actual ip address of your WFL on your system assigned by your router ). Pick either the US or EU server and hit update. After updating to any firmware version 2.15 or above there will be an update button on the System page of your WFL so any future updates are simple to make.
Remember do not reboot your WFL after doing an update until the update is completed or it may not fully install.
Version 1.24S is only to save config files. You can omit this step and update using version 2.0.
Version 2.0 will download newest firmware. 2.16. If I don't make any mistake :)
I will try to test WEEWX with WiFiLogger and check what is going on, but tomorrow. It is late now :(

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
Version 1.24S is only to save config files. You can omit this step and update using version 2.0.
Version 2.0 will download newest firmware. 2.16. If I don't make any mistake :)
I will try to test WEEWX with WiFiLogger and check what is going on, but tomorrow. It is late now :(
Rather confusingly, the OP initially raised this in two separate threads - this one and https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36760.0. From my experience, weewx works fine with WiFiLogger, provided that the latter is configured to allow weewx to 'own' it. The OP's original problem appeared to be that he had not changed the default 'TCP Port' System Setup setting to 'Man. Pause' - I had initially seen the same misbehavior that he described, so I recognized the problem! After fixing this configuration error, he is still apparently having problems, but they are clearly different both from his previous ones and from anything I have seen. He has not responded (since April 29) to the followup questions/suggestions I left in the other thread, so I wouldn't spend too much of your time on this unless/until he does.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Hi,

I'm trying to get my Wifi logger to upload to wunderground.com and to talk to weewx. So far I only get JSON upload via MQTT working. Unfortunately this is only uploading US metric data which I need to transform into EU data formats which is not quite accurate as the JSON data only contains 2 digits.

Please try to use this update to version 2.0  from http://www.wifilogger.net/support.html which will automaticly update your logger to the newest version.
Then probably all will start to work.
- MQTT file is repaired to have more than 2 digits rain(needed for 2mm collector).
- there was some changes in TCP connection to console. Now should work better with WEEWX.

I have just tested my logger with Raspberry Pi zero and WiFiLogger. Works perfectly fine.

Offline fjordey37

Has anyone tried connecting to a hidden SSID? - My IoT devices are all on a separate network and the SSID is hidden (not trying to hide from hackers) - I can enter the information manually but it seems I can only connect to what is listed in the SSID list - made it visible to setup, but once hidden again i will not reconnect. Any thoughts?

~Mark