Author Topic: New WU Layout Graphic Scaling Issue - Wasted Screen Space  (Read 1043 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
New WU Layout Graphic Scaling Issue - Wasted Screen Space
« on: April 25, 2019, 09:32:49 AM »
This issue has been brought up in other threads. We know WU is working to address this issue. I just thought it would be good for this issue to get its own thread to help others that may feel a need to address their concern and offer feedback.

Situation: WU graphics do not scale properly and waste screen space

The immediate solution was that WU provided a new Current Conditions box next to the map. That was a much needed welcome partial solution. Good on WU for listening to this feedback.

Presently what I have noticed is that if you are on a computer and you put your browser to full screen then you get a sub-par experience. Everything ends up very large. There is a lot of wasted space. The graphics scaled up to a very large size and do not look good. The wasted space is not just the white space to the left and right side but also the gray space within the graphics.

The following is a screenshot of this bad experience at full screen (1920 x 1080 res) reduced to 70% for demonstration:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

On the same computer with the same browser if you reduce the width of the browser to a much narrower size you can actually see more information. You get better graphics scaling as they are all smaller, yet they are still plenty large enough to be the norm. And most of the wasted space goes away.

Here is what this narrowed browser window looks like as the graphics will auto-shrink (still 1080 res top to bottom, same computer) reduced to 70% for demonstration just like prior example:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Possible Solution: Now I'm not a web developer but it seems to me like the solution is that WU should limit how large these graphics get after a certain scale size. To let these graphics grow to such enormous size just ruins the experience. This is only a preliminary suggestion. Of course there are other solutions to this problem that are warranted, like more drastic design changes. Other suggestions are that once these graphics are reduced in size then you can actually stack them so that you have more of them across the screen rather than just 3 of them. Also it would be nice to automatically remove these if the sensor is not present like when the station does not have Solar, UV or a Camera.

All this, in my opinion, is secondary to the missing tenths decimals in the data and graphs, Rapidfire not working for the graphs, camera issues, missing Yearly and Custom from the summary tables, not being able to edit/delete bad data..etc. So many things - which is good as there is plenty to look forward to. Hopefully this new WU platform that is devoid of legacy infrastructure will bring a better WU than ever before. Great job so far WU. Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:04:49 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: New WU Layout Graphic Scaling Issue - Wasted Screen Space
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »
UPDATE: Nope, I was wrong. I had logged out is why I saw different scaling.

I think WU has been working on this. The graphics no longer scale up to be so huge. That cut down some on the wasted space. That was my recommendation for a quick temporary fix. I still think that there is some work to be done to really dig in there and rework to get rid of some gray space and the spacing between graphics and also allow reordering...etc...basically everything else I mentioned in previous post. I would even allow the graphics to limit scaling just a bit less than what was recently done...they could (should) be smaller still is what I'm saying.

UPDATE: sorry gotta take the credit away as this isn't fixed.
Big improvement though. Progress. Thank you WU.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:28:18 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »
I said this in another, related thread, but in my opinion the separate boxes for temp, wind, barometer, precip and UV are there as a result of the Department of Redundant Redundancy.  All that information is neatly presented in the first pane and amounts to nothing more than wasted space.  The only other thing actually needed is a webcam pane, or better yet, tab on the summary pane and the historical graphs.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:37:56 PM »
I said this in another, related thread, but in my opinion the separate boxes for temp, wind, barometer, precip and UV are there as a result of the Department of Redundant Redundancy.  All that information is neatly presented in the first pane and amounts to nothing more than wasted space.  The only other thing actually needed is a webcam pane, or better yet, tab on the summary pane and the historical graphs.

You may already be aware, but responsive website design uses these "cards" to display in rows in a computer browser and serially on a mobile device.  I believe they development team is trying to minimize maintenance by building one site that works in both a normal computer browser and a mobile device.  I agree with this approach but don't really like the cards either.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 10:12:47 PM »
You can get rid of any of the frames you find redundant with uBlock Origin.

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:16:06 AM »

If you'll remember back (or look at past messages), the summary first pane was added, based on feedback on this forum,  after all of the other panes were already there. So, technically, it's the redundant one. I agree that it's a better space-conscious presentation.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
You can get rid of any of the frames you find redundant with uBlock Origin.

A case of the patch being better than the original solution.
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 12:07:02 PM »
responsive website design uses these "cards" to display in rows in a computer browser and serially on a mobile device
Responsive and competent website design also uses mechanisms to detect what screen the viewer is using and adjusts the presented information as appropriate so this massive waste of bandwidth and space doesn't happen.  The "NEW WU!" looks like it was written on a $49 CMS.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 09:33:00 AM »
UPDATE: Nope, Nothing fixed here, I was wrong.

I made a mistake. I thought the graphics had been reduced. Turns out I was looking at it while logged out (with ad blocking on) so the graphics seemed smaller, because they are smaller when logged out to make room for ads. Of course if you are logged in and you are not a station contributor then you still get the ads.

WU,
As a quick fix you should put the ad layout (without ads) as a default for weather station contributors. That shrinks the graphics.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 02:35:24 PM »
The use of ad and content blockers in Chrome may have limited days. Apparently Google is planning on neutering ad and content blockers to take effect in January 2020. This could affect the next version of Microsoft Edge that will be based on Chromium. I'm not a Firefox fan so we'll see what happens.

https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/opera-brave-vivaldi-to-ignore-chromes-anti-ad-blocker-changes-despite-shared-codebase/

- this relates because of users using uBlock Origin to remove the sensors they don't want to see in WU Dashboard
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 02:41:30 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 04:44:59 PM »
I quit using Chrome at least a year ago due to it becoming a bloated mess and Google adopting an Apple-esque "we know better than you what you want" attitude.

Firefox has its own issues but at least they don't think they own the Internet.

anything