Author Topic: HI/LO Data/time records  (Read 7029 times)

Offline ikarus

HI/LO Data/time records
« on: April 11, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »
VP2 console records the exact time of a HI/LO event eg a wind gust will be displayed as a speed value with time and date.

However, when I look at the plots and tables in WeatherLink the best time accuracy I can get is the data download interval time.

My question is - is the true event-time available from the data logger and if so can I get at it through WeatherLink or is this value lost somewhere in the system?

regards
IK
IK

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: HI/LO Data/time records
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 01:15:02 PM »
If you right click on the bulletin screen it will give you the the exact time the highs and lows occurred for that day.
By the way, welcome to the forum!
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ikarus

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 02:02:17 PM »
You are right Ocala

Many thanks.

BTW - Is this data stored anywhere else? Can I grab it and use it in external spreadsheet for example?

IK
IK

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
It may be available in the WLK files. Not sure about that though. Also not sure what program to use to view those files.
Good luck.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 09:45:28 PM »
The Weatherlink "NOAA this month" report contains the info you are looking for. Click on the NOAA button in the toolbar. Also, Weatherlink can automatically create a text file of this report.

Weatherlink has a built-in export function that allows you to generate tab delimited files of the weather database which can be imported into a spreadsheet.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:36:39 AM »
Many things are also available as Weather Tags, although perhaps not everything you might want.  

For instance:

High wind speed                     <!--hiWindSpeed-->
Time of High wind speed    <!--hiWindSpeedTime-->

Documentation is usually found in the Sample Templates folder.

Footnote: I find that there are lots of "holes" in what's available.

Offline ikarus

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 02:02:58 PM »
Thanks to all for replies.

Tabert1952 ...  my version of WeatherLink (5.7) only records the download times in the NOAA report and the export text file also.

I've just been looking at VWS/ Seems a bit more comprehensive but unfortunately costs $$

IK
IK

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:28:50 PM »
But you can use the tags in Weatherlink to create your own delimited file either for upload to a host for further processing, or to use on your local PC.

Just create a "blank" template with all the tags listed that you're interested in, separated by your choice of delimiter... then set it up in the schedule for processing...

It seems like Weathlink can give you the data you need, but somehow it doesn't fit into your current workflow or web page creation process?
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 03:04:37 PM »
Quote from: "ncpilot"
But you can use the tags in Weatherlink to create your own delimited file either for upload to a host for further processing, or to use on your local PC.

Just create a "blank" template with all the tags listed that you're interested in, separated by your choice of delimiter... then set it up in the schedule for processing...

It seems like Weathlink can give you the data you need, but somehow it doesn't fit into your current workflow or web page creation process?

For example, take a look at any weather site posted using WeatherLink templates.

For instance, http://www.thecoys.net/weather/Current_Vantage_Pro_Plus.htm

*ALL* of the data in the left column is from tags, and if you scroll down you'll see, for example, the value and time of the high wind speed.  My particular setup downloads data every 5 minutes (browse file entries every 5 minutes, starting at :00) - and uploads to the web site every 10 minutes (starting at :03).  Note that what you see for times in the left column doesn't usually match either of those intervals.

You don't have to get this as an HTML web page, either - as stated above, you can get it as a plain text file however you want it.

Now - if Davis doesn't provide the tag that you need, and some other software is able to do it, then that's another matter.  SOME things are present in the console (or can be calculated), but are not (yet) supported in WeatherLink.

My "pet peeve" is CURRENT THSW Index.  That isn't available, although daily and yearly high THSW tags are available.

Offline ikarus

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 11:29:12 PM »
I guess there's a lot more in Weatherlink than is obvious at first glance. I shall do some more digging around. Thanks for the pointers, guys.

IK
IK

Offline talbert1952

• Contributor
    • http://tobaccovilleweather.com
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »
I have a template file that has all the available WeatherLink tags in it. The template produces a text file of all 270 variables one value per line. If you want it send me your email address via PM. I also have a script for Image Salsa that reads this file so you can embed the values in an Image Salsa canvas.
Tom
W4SNA
IRLP 4069 - Echolink W4SNA-R

http://tobaccovilleweather.com/
Hardware: Davis 6153 wireless VP2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield, WMR968, Boltek Stormtracker PCI,
  Hamtronics R139, stacked Woodhouse 6X6 beams on Yaesu G-5500 az/el rotator
Software: Weatherlink, VWS, Image Salsa, Lightning/2000, GRLevel3 with Allison House data feed, WxtoImg