Author Topic: Weather Underground Issues and Bug Tracking - Check here before posting  (Read 18652 times)

Offline OldAlaskaGuy

• Alaska, The Last American Frontier
  • Forecaster
  • Living in the "Last American Frontier"
Re: Weather Underground Issues and Bug Tracking - Check here before posting
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2019, 02:54:58 PM »
Joined Trello and voted. Yes, let us enjoy the update and keep the bashing down. See what happens in the next few weeks. UU

Offline mdv

« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2019, 06:24:29 PM »
I too am very happy that the decimal point issue has been fixed.

I do hope WU fix the missing daily data from historical data and that the raw data is not lost.

I believe WU might be working on this issue, noting some things have changed on my historical data. For instance, my daily data for 18th July displayed correctly in the daily view on the 18th, but yesterday that whole day was missing from all views. Today it is again being displayed correctly in daily view (although not in monthly view).

It would be reassuring if WU could or would acknowledge this issue and indicate what they are doing about it - who knows? Especially as this issue seems to be the result of one or other website tweak sometime recently.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 06:31:44 PM by mdv »

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »
The priority was properly aligned. Decimals needed first attention.

Proper storing of Data for review is top draw now.

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2019, 01:26:19 AM »
With decimal coming in the remaining main issue for mr is the wind graph. Doesn't differentiate wind speed and gust.

I've seen stations that don't differentiate wind speed and gusts. This has never been a problem with WU nor is now. That is up to your station and its software. This is not a troubleshooting thread for individual issues. Please open a new thread to get further help and be sure to include the specifics of your hardware and software used.

There was an old thread on this by someone else. Appended to that. This may be an WU issue with rapidfire or weewx issue with rapidfire with new WU. On older WU this wasnt an issue for me. Anyways will track this issue in other thread  going forward.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36611.msg386071#msg386071

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2019, 05:25:19 AM »
With decimal coming in the remaining main issue for mr is the wind graph. Doesn't differentiate wind speed and gust.

I've seen stations that don't differentiate wind speed and gusts. This has never been a problem with WU nor is now. That is up to your station and its software. This is not a troubleshooting thread for individual issues. Please open a new thread to get further help and be sure to include the specifics of your hardware and software used.

There was an old thread on this by someone else. Appended to that. This may be an WU issue with rapidfire or weewx issue with rapidfire with new WU. On older WU this wasnt an issue for me. Anyways will track this issue in other thread  going forward.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=36611.msg386071#msg386071

After further analysis there is something wrong with wind graphing. It affects different software differently. It isn't that gusts = wind speed, but something else. Graphs don't match table data.

https://trello.com/c/mOj2LC7t
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:28:42 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #130 on: July 26, 2019, 05:29:08 AM »
I don't know how it is determined whether a WU issue or not but graphs are just fine on METEO PWS app on Android

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #131 on: July 26, 2019, 07:49:01 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here before. But Europe and US r reeling under 60-70+ degrees celcius heatwave if we are to believe WU.  :grin:

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #132 on: July 26, 2019, 08:04:32 AM »

galfert said

After further analysis there is something wrong with wind graphing. It affects different software differently. It isn't that gusts = wind speed, but something else. Graphs don't match table data.

Some sites show different wind speeds on the graph and table.   Wind speeds seem to be around 7 or 8 mph on table with values of 5 to 25 on the graph.  Graph shows same
values as values transmitted to WU and other sites.   KTXCROWE5   

been messed up long time
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2019, 10:41:55 AM »
Not sure if this has been posted here before. But Europe and US r reeling under 60-70+ degrees celcius heatwave if we are to believe WU.  :grin:

Yes, being tracked:
https://trello.com/c/pQVHXb6p
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
Finally something to move to the Done - Fixed column! Today we finally got decimals in both Current Conditions Box and in the graphs and data table. Thank you WU. I'm regaining faith.
Still missing large blocks of historical data for earlier in July so basically they've put lipstick on the pig but it is still a pig.

One step at a time. Let's enjoy the improvements made. If your kid is failing and one day finally brings home a C you don't get on to them about their green or purple hair. I share your frustration but lets try and be bit more pleasant. Maybe WU will return to the forum if we welcome them. Today is just not the day to be cutting up on them. I'm guilty of it, just not today.

So you think that a cosmetic "improvement" is more important than properly processing and storing the underlying data?  Really?

I don't need WU to "return to the forum".  They were here solely to try to put out the forest fire they started, and then proceeded to drop napalm on it by disrespecting the very people who are most able to help them figure out what they needed to do.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2019, 01:15:34 PM »
Finally something to move to the Done - Fixed column! Today we finally got decimals in both Current Conditions Box and in the graphs and data table. Thank you WU. I'm regaining faith.
Still missing large blocks of historical data for earlier in July so basically they've put lipstick on the pig but it is still a pig.

One step at a time. Let's enjoy the improvements made. If your kid is failing and one day finally brings home a C you don't get on to them about their green or purple hair. I share your frustration but lets try and be bit more pleasant. Maybe WU will return to the forum if we welcome them. Today is just not the day to be cutting up on them. I'm guilty of it, just not today.

So you think that a cosmetic "improvement" is more important than properly processing and storing the underlying data?  Really?

No that is not what I said although I see how what I said could have been taken that way. I'll clarify... Since the new WU launched the number one complaint was decimals. At the time there was no data missing. At least not on the old site that was currently available until very recently. In fact the old site was praised for having all the data in perfect form even with decimals. It was apparent that the missing decimals was purely a front end new website issue only and nothing was wrong with the database. Now that the decimal issues has been [mostly] resolved it leaves us with this missing data as the single most important issue and yes had these issues been apparent at the same time then the missing data would take precedence (but that was not the case and if it was it was for very little time.) I think the data isn't really missing...I think it is still just another front end problem.

Ultimately it isn't solely up to me to decide what issue(s) is/are more important. I welcome feedback to change something from Important to Critical. Decimals and Missing Data were both classified as Critical. Also all issues are able to be voted on so that everyone has a voice into what is most important / critical. I also take feedback suggestions to move Trello cards up or down the stack.

I don't need WU to "return to the forum".  They were here solely to try to put out the forest fire they started, and then proceeded to drop napalm on it by disrespecting the very people who are most able to help them figure out what they needed to do.

Just because they behaved poorly does not mean that they don't deserve a second chance. We all benefit if we have open lines of communication. It's time to bury the hatchet. WU for whatever reason moves slow on changes it seems. Maybe it's budget constraints, maybe it's programmer ineptitude, maybe they are doing rigorous testing, maybe it's poor management. We just don't know. If we welcome them back maybe we'll get answers. It was a long time to fix decimals. How long will it be till the next thing is fixed? Probably not soon enough for many. But I think they deserve some patience on our part.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:30:52 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline konz

• Senior Contributor
    • ArlingtonWX
« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »
Checked Trello but didn't see this issue, if it even is an issue.  Maybe it's more of a request.

The weekly chart shows Date instead of Time.  I'd prefer to see the Time when hovering over it.  The date is already displayed on the top x-axis.

Offline Cocute

« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »
in my huawei Mate 10 with chrome in metric units not see rain, precip accum not view, bad desing cut data  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

please fix
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 04:39:12 PM by Cocute »

Offline antstrafer

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2019, 05:29:19 PM »

Just because they behaved poorly does not mean that they don't deserve a second chance. We all benefit if we have open lines of communication. It's time to bury the hatchet.

I kinda feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy wooped the old pig skin away for the 56,000 time:   He know she gona do it again but He kinda enjoy the company.  Now if I can find a template written in fortran I am gold.  :grin:
Davis Vantage Pro2 plus     Meteobridge

CWOP FW5142    PWS THAI817    MADIS F5142
WU KTXTHALI2    AWEKAS           weatherobs

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2019, 06:00:00 PM »
Checked Trello but didn't see this issue, if it even is an issue.  Maybe it's more of a request.

The weekly chart shows Date instead of Time.  I'd prefer to see the Time when hovering over it.  The date is already displayed on the top x-axis.

Sounds like a valid new feature wish list request. Or do we think its a design flaw? I can see it both ways. When you are on Daily view you have the time and as you hover around the time then shows more precision. Basically on Daily view the hover matches the shown axis which is time. Therefore in Weekly or Monthly the Axis is the date not time....It may require extensive rework just to do this as the hover would then not match the shown axis....we don't want to lose the date just to show time as it seems it would require the axis to have two labels ...one for hover and one for static heading. Besides the zoomed in focus is so narrow that is this really necessary? I do see your point though although just a bit. Maybe we need to vote on this ....New Feature request or bug or forget the whole thing? This isn't my Trello board....it belongs to all of us.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 01:50:00 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »
in my huawei Mate 10 with chrome in metric units not see rain, precip accum not view, bad desing cut data  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

please fix

On my Samsung Galaxy S8 I too get cut off....but not as bad. For me it just cuts off the bottom numbers a little bit but I can still see them. I can see though how it doesn't really scale correctly. I've created a Trello card for this:
https://trello.com/c/iyVrvS5F
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2019, 06:27:07 PM »

Just because they behaved poorly does not mean that they don't deserve a second chance. We all benefit if we have open lines of communication. It's time to bury the hatchet.

I kinda feel like Charlie Brown after Lucy wooped the old pig skin away for the 56,000 time:   He know she gona do it again but He kinda enjoy the company.  Now if I can find a template written in fortran I am gold.  :grin:

And I feel like Clark Griswold trying to keep the peace as Rusty and Audrey keep asking, "are we there yet?"

I see your Fortran and raise you COBOL which is more verbose...or maybe we compromise on ALGOL.  UU

Tele-Pole

Offline mdv

« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2019, 08:15:58 PM »
Some thoughts on the missing data issue, which I believe is more than just a 'front end' issue.

I believe (trust?) all PWS data that has been ingested by WU is still there and that the issue lies with the processing of that data (data retrieval and subsequent manipulation by algorithms to generate information). I say this on the basis that information that was missing on the new site was still being displayed on the old site (until it was decommissioned).

That the missing information from the monthly view in the new site appears somewhat random or erratic (eg different days missing for different users) suggests the issue is not purely front end - rather that there are issues with the retrieval of data for a particular PWS. In my case going back to May/June, I experienced large chunks of missing data in the detailed table for current day weather (eg missing wind direction values) that were being displayed correctly in the old site. More recently, there have been occasions when daily information that was being displayed correctly one day would the next day not be displayed.

While the monthly view graphs and table are not updating correctly (eg. my last update was 5 days ago), this behaviour is itself somewhat erratic, again suggesting data processing issues.

As such, I think the issue requires expertise beyond that of web site 'front end' design and implementation. And this is where I am holding my breath for WU - hopefully not for too long.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2019, 09:01:33 PM »

Your reasons for uploading are different than mine. I want "Real Time" monitoring of wind speed from anywhere. I want to see what is on the console, not an approximation. Going past freezing point is hard to predict with rounded numbers.

The station is extremely accurate when you observe, and compare to standards. All is lost with rounding.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #144 on: July 26, 2019, 10:48:57 PM »
As someone who doesn't even own a weather station (yet), I just want to thank Galfert for this WU bug tracking thread. Without WU or something comparable I will not buy a weather station. So all the complaints about WU have been quite discouraging and that has made me decide to not to buy a PWS unless there is something like WU that I can use with reasonable reliability. This thread seems to be the only one in this forum  that is taking a constructive approach to analyzing and monitoring the situation with WU rather than propagating the  ongoing rants of understandable frustration with WU.

I would really like to have a PWS, but without a simple way set up a station with some sense of confidence in accuracy and reliability that I can see online and share with neighbors, friends and relatives, then it is not worth it for me.

So this WU problem tracking thread is helping me know what is real and what is rant. So thanks Galfert. I have learned a lot reading your posts in this forum.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2019, 01:01:29 AM »
Alanb,
Thank you for the kind words. Glad to hear that these efforts are being noticed. I'd like to thank everyone that has submitted issues they've notice or ideas for the Wish List and for voting on the issues that matter to them. We are all doing this together.

As for not yet having purchased a station I get it. I was on the fence for a couple years. I too didn't want to make a purchase I would regret or not be good enough. But certainly WU should not be a deciding factor. There are so many places to send your data. I read you were leaning towards the WS-2000. Out of the box that uploads to WU, AmbientWeather.net, WeatherCloud, and PWSweather via Ambientweather.net. Then you can expand it in several ways to upload to yet more places... Some ways are very easy. If something better comes along buy it and then you have two stations to play with at two locations as I'm sure you could gift it to a family member or friend and still have access to it and it would be in a place that probably also matters to you.
Tele-Pole

Offline theslydog

« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2019, 07:22:04 AM »
It was a long time to fix decimals. How long will it be till the next thing is fixed? Probably not soon enough for many. But I think they deserve some patience on our part.

The temp graph and the top box with 'CURRENT CONDITIONS' seem to now have one decimal place for temperature. Why does the 'TEMPERATURE' box directly below this not also show decimals?

Also, the decimals dont work for me on the WU app or in the data coming through the Ecowitt WS View app.

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2019, 10:27:59 AM »
Well something happened with the wind speed / wind gust in the summary section. Some of my wind speeds are HIGHER than my wind gusts. This is not occurring everyday, just with some of them.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Edit: design flaw with temperature and precipitation. The text is flowing into the next column. Noticed thy is in Safari on my iPhone X.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 10:30:12 AM by chrispyt2 »
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 27, 2019, 10:35:45 AM »
While 'some' progress has been made regarding the consistent application of decimal places, Pressure is still inconsistent. The "CURRENT CONDITIONS" element shows single decimal precision for PRESSURE, while the PRESSURE element displays 2 decimal places. But in the summary table we are only presented a single decimal. The data has to be somewhere?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #149 on: July 27, 2019, 12:04:26 PM »
The temp graph and the top box with 'CURRENT CONDITIONS' seem to now have one decimal place for temperature. Why does the 'TEMPERATURE' box directly below this not also show decimals?
I can see this going either way. I've created a Trello card under Wish List. Please jump into the comments section of this card to discuss opinions of which way you prefer. I don't necessarily think this is a problem.
https://trello.com/c/WmrTNeqS

Also, the decimals don't work for me on the WU app or in the data coming through the Ecowitt WS View app.
The WU app and graphs displayed on WS View app have never had decimals. For mobile use on an app perhaps this is okay. These are two separate issues. First the WU app probably stands to get replaced before it sees any changes. The new WU website was designed with mobile view in mind. People often recommend using the website and forgetting the app. The next issue of the WS View app is outside of the focus of this thread that deals only with WU controlled issues. That would be something you should take up with Fine Offset/Ecowitt.
That said there already is a Trello card for WU Mobile app degrees in tenths:
https://trello.com/c/HHP70FqC

Not here to argue or take strong standpoint. Please feel free to counter back. The more of you that voice your opinions the more consensus we get and I'll be agreeable to what the we all decide as a group. Perhaps things don't always need to be one way or another. Sometimes there is an alternative solution that satisfies multiple ideas which often means creative solution thinking (out of the box thinking).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 12:17:37 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole