Author Topic: Weather Underground Issues and Bug Tracking - Check here before posting  (Read 18533 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Weather Underground Issues and Bug Tracking
* This is a private WU issue tracking system and not maintained by WU

This first original post updated periodically
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Weather Underground as it grows and changes exhibits numerous issues that would benefit if we could track them. Weather Underground themselves used to track some of these issues. They pulled out and are now tracking their issues privately. They also are no longer providing feedback on this forum. Let's invite them to return with a promise of respect and decency on both sides. Perhaps they can promise to keep us more in the loop and informed and we can treat them with the patience and respect any hard working person would expect.

Purpose:
The purpose of this thread and the Trello issue tracking website board is to have a unified way to become informed and share about the ongoing issues with Weather Underground as changes and fixes are implemented. There are many WU users and many times people come in with the same known issue. It may be a new issue to them but if they don't search and they don't bother to read some threads to see what the issues are they can't really help themselves. The purpose of this thread and Trello site is not to track every individual issue that you may be having nor to deal with user support with your hardware/software nor because of lack of user knowledge. Rather the purpose is to track issues that universally effect everyone, because the source of the problem is not your own hardware/software or lack of personal knowledge but rather the problem is the Weather Underground website as a whole that is at fault because of design deficiencies and bugs. This thread and issue tracking system aim to provide a better service for all.

TIP: It is not necessary to read this entire thread. Just check the Trello link below to see status of current issues.

How to use this WU Issue Tracking Thread and the Trello Board:
  • Go to this Trello board to see if you find your particular issue:
    https://trello.com/b/qTvFtwYd/weather-underground-issues
  • If you don't see your particular issue in the Trello tracking system ask yourself if you believe this is an individual issue with your hardware/software or if this is an issue that is affecting other people. Most likely if the issue is not listed then it is probably you (your hardware, your software, your network, your ISP) Only post a new issue to this thread if you believe a new issue needs to be tracked. You can ask if you really don't know. But if you have a personal issue please start a new thread to get help.
  • If you are posting here looking for help then you are in the wrong place...open a new thread.
  • Feel free to comment in this thread if you have an update to a particular issue.
  • You can also comment in the Trello system if you create a free Trello account

This is not a troubleshooting thread. If you have a personal WU issue please start a new thread to get help.
This thread is only to track and discuss WU issues that affect everyone.

How to Submit and Update WU Issues that affect everyone.
  • If you have determined by reading other threads and learning about common WU issues or by doing proper due diligence and extensive testing on various computers/systems you may submit or request that a new issue be tracked in this thread.
  • If other people can confirm this is a universal issue then I will update the Trello WU Issue Tracker to include the new issue.
  • If you believe a resolution or fix has been implemented please update this thread and I will update the Trello WU Issue Tracker.
  • If you have suggestions to add to the Wish List and I agree or there is considerable consensus then it will be added to the Wish List.
  • If you wish to change the level of Importance of an issue you may express those thoughts here. There are three levels: Critical, Important, Low and finally there is the Done or Fixed tag for resolved issues. Be sure to indicate a level when submitting for a new issue.
* You can also post in the New Request section of the Trello board.

What the Trello WU Issue Tracker looks like (link to site above):

What This Accomplishes...or hopes to accomplish.
  • Reduces the number of repetitive posts with the same issues over and over
  • Becomes an information point for users to learn if the trouble they have is something they only experience or if it is universal problem
  • May serve as a feedback system for Weather Underground so that they can see what matters to us.
  • Gives everyone an overview of the status of WU and its continued development

*** Disclaimer: I hope to be able to track and keep up with these changes. I don't know how difficult or time consuming it will become and I may quit at any time if it isn't working out. I hope that this does not cause any fighting with disagreements of what is or isn't important or critical or what is or isn't a universal issue or not. At this point the Trello system is open to comments. Abuse it and it gets turned off. This thread or system is not maintained by WU but they are certainly welcome to participate. I reserve final judgment on any decision with fairness in mind.

Notes, Last Updated: August 2, 2019
This first post will be updated regularly as needed. Look here for any current information.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 12:01:53 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Weather Underground Issue and Bug Tracking
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:31:30 PM »
Commenting system on the Trello board is open. Feel free to add notes or comments to the individual cards. Please keep it on topic. All you need to do is create a free Trello account.

Use the Purple New Issue Request for each category if you find a missing issue that you feel should be tracked.
Or you can post a comment on this thread if you prefer and then a Trello card could be added by me the maintainer of the system if you find a new universal issue affecting multiple people.

Remember no personal issues here. Open a new thread if you need personal help.

When submitting a New Issue please indicate the Level of impact: Critical, Important, or Low.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:24:54 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:40:51 PM »
You're a brave man...

1) Favorites: Saving a PWS as a favorite really "saves" some random nearby PWS or airport weather station, making the whole "save favorite" function useless.  This also affects "home" selection, which results in incorrect weather data displayed on the WU front page.

2) Save favorites and recently visited stations as station codes instead of low-resolution coordinates which do not retrieve the proper station data.  The current 0.01 degree (36 seconds, almost half a mile) granularity is far too coarse in areas with many PWS.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 05:50:49 PM »
You're a brave man...

1) Favorites: Saving a PWS as a favorite really "saves" some random nearby PWS or airport weather station, making the whole "save favorite" function useless.  This also affects "home" selection, which results in incorrect weather data displayed on the WU front page.

2) Save favorites and recently visited stations as station codes instead of low-resolution coordinates which do not retrieve the proper station data.  The current 0.01 degree (36 seconds, almost half a mile) granularity is far too coarse in areas with many PWS.

Thank you!

Those issues you listed are already covered and they have a card in the Trello tracking system.
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »
Those issues you listed are already covered and they have a card in the Trello tracking system.
Not seeing it. The issues I am raising are errors, not just missing features.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 09:40:33 PM »
Not seeing it. The issues I am raising are errors, not just missing features.

It's there as a more generic *Favorites don't work."
https://trello.com/c/NU4APESb

Feel free to add your notes in the comments section of this card as that will help.
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Forecast page:

"Scientific Forecaster Discussion" link does not give the Scientific Forecaster Discussion. 

Both links on the (empty) Scientific Forecaster Discussion page ("return to local conditions and forecast" and "National Weather Service Glossary of Abbreviations") are 404.  The latter is due to a bad NOAA site link.

Offline mdv

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 10:51:29 PM »
Commenting system on the Trello board is open. Feel free to add notes or comments to the individual cards. Please keep it on topic. All you need to do is create a free Trello account.

Use the Purple New Issue Request for each category if you find a missing issue that you feel should be tracked.

Have commented and added some proposed issues. You have closed one issue that, for me at least, still persists - dashboard map not reloading to correct size - this issue might be related to the account management issue(s), since it only happens when logged in.

Good luck with this initiative - hope you don't get swamped.

Offline rormeister

• Senior Contributor
A noble cause, but much akin to beating a dead horse. Looking back there is this thread which died pretty much as soon as it started:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35037.msg361302#msg361302

However, in a recent email with Victoria Gardner @ IBM, she did indicate an interest in our forum. Might want to point the new Trello board toward her bow.

:quote:
You’re talking about wxforum.net, yes? I suppose I really need to get in more often. I am The One To Whom All Griping Comes.
:end-quote:

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Forecast page:

"Scientific Forecaster Discussion" link does not give the Scientific Forecaster Discussion. 

Both links on the (empty) Scientific Forecaster Discussion page ("return to local conditions and forecast" and "National Weather Service Glossary of Abbreviations") are 404.  The latter is due to a bad NOAA site link.

Added. Thank you.
https://trello.com/c/3G6rsMM3
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 12:39:34 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »

Have commented and added some proposed issues. You have closed one issue that, for me at least, still persists - dashboard map not reloading to correct size - this issue might be related to the account management issue(s), since it only happens when logged in.

Good luck with this initiative - hope you don't get swamped.

Great feedback. I'm working through all your submissions but maybe we can discuss some of these.

Nearby Station List

Why is it buried in the 'change location' link on the PWS forecast page - it should perhaps be the dashboard main page - and tied to the scope of PWS sites showing on the current view of the dashboard main page map.

Furthermore, this list and the map display might be made more interactive - eg. hover over a map PWS site highlights that station in the list, and vice versa. [This one is for the wish list]
I sort of see you point here. But to play devils advocate perhaps this is a resource intensive list of nearby stations to generate. On the forecast page it doesn't load up unless you scroll all the way down the page to that section. Even then you need to wait a few seconds. Perhaps this is not the sort of thing you'd want on the Dashboard because of this. What do you say?
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Quote from: mdv
Why the different maps?

Map on dashboard main page is different to that on the PWS forecast page - why?

Map on forecast page does not show own PWS location, or any nearby PWS sites - makes geographic orientation difficult.

I don't see that the maps are different. The underlying maps all use Mapbox. The Dashboard map has the Wundermap station indicators. The Forecast map is for looking at the area radar and satellite views. You can also turn on Webcams on this forecast map. I think it is rather welcoming to clear the map of stations as they can clutter the map in order to be able to see these other features more clearly and see the actual map instead of a cluster of station icons.
Tele-Pole

Offline mdv

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 12:09:00 PM »

I sort of see you point here. But to play devils advocate perhaps this is a resource intensive list of nearby stations to generate. On the forecast page it doesn't load up unless you scroll all the way down the page to that section. Even then you need to wait a few seconds. Perhaps this is not the sort of thing you'd want on the Dashboard because of this. What do you say?

Can we meet halfway? - perhaps a 'Nearby Station' tab on the dashboard that takes user to a separate page with (yet) another map + nearby station list (with just PWS ID) + a summary table of current conditions at nearby stations. Just seems odd that all the info about current conditions ('now' stuff) at nearby stations is shown on the forecast page ('future stuff').

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
A noble cause, but much akin to beating a dead horse. Looking back there is this thread which died pretty much as soon as it started:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35037.msg361302#msg361302

However, in a recent email with Victoria Gardner @ IBM, she did indicate an interest in our forum. Might want to point the new Trello board toward her bow.

:quote:
You’re talking about wxforum.net, yes? I suppose I really need to get in more often. I am The One To Whom All Griping Comes.
:end-quote:

Go ideas to reach out to Victoria Gardner. I noticed she logged in just a few days ago. Let us know if anyone has already had contact with her. This Trello board just started. Lets see how it goes and what the interest is and how it all works out for everyone.
Tele-Pole

Offline mdv

Why the different maps?

Map on dashboard main page is different to that on the PWS forecast page - why?

Map on forecast page does not show own PWS location, or any nearby PWS sites - makes geographic orientation difficult.

I don't see that the maps are different. The underlying maps all use Mapbox. The Dashboard map has the Wundermap station indicators. The Forecast map is for looking at the area radar and satellite views. You can also turn on Webcams on this forecast map. I think it is rather welcoming to clear the map of stations as they can clutter the map in order to be able to see these other features more clearly and see the actual map instead of a cluster of station icons.

My first comment was based on my perception that (during the WU upgrade) the dashboard map was developed pretty much from scratch, rather than leveraging the one that already existed in the PWS forecast page. I guess it is a matter of taste. Both maps show radar - which one should I be looking at to remotely monitor rainfall at my PWS location? (dashboard map is for current conditions, forecast page is for future conditions ...)

If I happen to be on the forecast page, I'd like to see at least my own PWS location, so I can orientate when zooming out or panning - my PWS is rural (with no other PWS within 30km; + rain on radar map often obscures underlying topographical details.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Not fixed in my case. When logged in (on 2 different devices), the dashboard map does not reload properly - height is truncated. Quick fix is to resize desktop window and then return to full screen size.

Suggest there is a simple WU coding error

I've seen this issue too. I think this issue is related to this:
https://trello.com/c/PodSiKH7

So I'm putting in your comments on that card.
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Voting on Trello board added

You can now vote on the issues. The more thumbs up may result in severity level changes and perhaps then I'll move cards up the stack. This will also help us all see what issues matter most to the most people.

Although you could vote on every item that serves no purpose. Pick a few items that matter affect you the most and just vote on those.

UPDATE: Please read this future post in this thread regarding more details on voting: https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37137.msg385754#msg385754
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:38:38 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 12:55:35 PM »

Can we meet halfway? - perhaps a 'Nearby Station' tab on the dashboard that takes user to a separate page with (yet) another map + nearby station list (with just PWS ID) + a summary table of current conditions at nearby stations. Just seems odd that all the info about current conditions ('now' stuff) at nearby stations is shown on the forecast page ('future stuff').

Okay I like the idea of a link or tab on the Dashboard for more prominent location for Nearby Stations. That method should not slow down the Dashboard.

Added to Wish List:
https://trello.com/c/rnh7XkBO
Tele-Pole

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
Android app is not refreshing data at specified time intervals (i.e. on screen unlock, every 30 minutes, every hour, etc.).
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Android app is not refreshing data at specified time intervals (i.e. on screen unlock, every 30 minutes, every hour, etc.).

Card added. Thank you.
https://trello.com/c/cvv6ClpF
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Ooops ...

Even though I added the voting plug-in module I just realized I needed to enable permissions. If you tried to vote before and couldn't figure it out, it was my fault. It is now fixed.

Just working through this as I learn how to manage this Trello stuff.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 02:38:34 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
Did I see some other posters saying about the "Data Updated" time does not update with Rapid Fire frequency?

Mine just stays at 1 minute.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Did I see some other posters saying about the "Data Updated" time does not update with Rapid Fire frequency?

Yes I've read of others reporting this issue. But it only happens to WiFiLogger users. So it is not a WU issue.
Tele-Pole

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Go ideas to reach out to Victoria Gardner. I noticed she logged in just a few days ago. Let us know if anyone has already had contact with her.

I have had some interaction with her on the WU API board.  As I mentioned earlier she seems to be the only one involved with WU who has the power to actually get things done.  That she intends to spend more time here is a very good sign.  The others tried but all they seemed to be able to do is relay messages.

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34

Yes I've read of others reporting this issue. But it only happens to WiFiLogger users. So it is not a WU issue.
It works on the old site, so they broke it.