Author Topic: Moonbow over SLOweather  (Read 2789 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Moonbow over SLOweather
« on: January 21, 2008, 09:34:21 AM »
This morning when I walked the dogs about 5:50 AM, we were headed northwest into the setting almost full moon. Ahead of us the sky was clear, while to the southeast, the sky was overcast and drizzling. When we turned around to come home, I saw a moonbow.

When I first spotted it, the moonbow was very distinct, mostly colorless, and at least 50% complete. By the time we got home and I grabbed my camera, the moon was mostly behind a cloud bank and the moonbow mostly dissipated. Still I managed to grab this 5 second exposure, hand-held and braced against a door frame.

Offline AZmonsooncats

• Current weather conditions in North Phoenix, Ariz
  • Senior Contributor
  • Me & My Little Sis!!
    • Pepper Ridge North Valley  Weather and Lightning
Re: Moonbow over SLOweather
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
Hey Chris,

Nice Shot 8-) Those moonbows are neat to see, but usually you only see moondogs.

Thanks you sharing.

Jeanette
"Some dreams are in the night time, And some seem like yesterday
But leaves turn brown and fade, Ships sail away
You long to say a thousand words…but Seasons Change."

CWOP:CW3794, MesoWest: C3794, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PepperRidgeNorthValleyWX/

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: Moonbow over SLOweather
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:08:38 AM »
Never seen a moonbow before.

Last night with the cold air and the sky clear the moon was really bright and crisp.  I thought about going up on the roof and taking a picture of it and how it illuminated the area and the wood smoke sifting out of my chimney.  But the single digit temps changed my mind.   :lol: 

Would of made a neat web cam shot provided I had a camera up there.  One of these years...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 12:11:22 AM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10