Author Topic: computer slowdown  (Read 2859 times)

jwyman

computer slowdown
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
All,
  I seem to be experiencing computer slowdown after having my website displayed for hours at a time. I reload my current conditions page every 30 minutes or so and am using the AJAX/PHP script for updating the conditions. I am wondering if reloading the page every 30 minutes or so keeps adding more Java processing or does it terminate when you reload the page? it could be some other script somewhere adding mor and more thus slowing down the computer response...   ](*,)   ](*,)

Jim

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Re: computer slowdown
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
Hi Jim!

There's a big difference between Java (which you don't seem to use on your page) and JavaScript (which you seem to have multiple ones on your page).

Java on a page is kinda the kiss-of-death to response time since the Java engine has to load in the browser and it's very sssllloooowww to do that.   JavaScript is intrepreted when the page is loaded, so more scripts per page means mostly slower response.

Your page has two duplicated scripts (http://www.espwxctr.com/menu_scr.js and http://www.espwxctr.com/menu_dom.js ) .. you should probably have only one instance of each.

The NeoEarth thing will load stuff from their server and will slow down rendering the page too.

If you use FireFox with FireBug add-on installed, you can enable the network timing function, load your page and see exactly what each element is taking to load .. great debugging tool.
Hope this helps...
Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

jwyman

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 08:38:26 AM »
Thanks Ken, I will try that out ......

Jim

jwyman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 09:02:06 AM »
Ken,
 YOu talked about the duplicated scripts. They are different... menu_dom.js and menu_scr.js. Are you seeing 2 of each?

jwyman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 09:18:12 AM »
Found it! I see what you were saying. Turns out that the menu_scr.js got implemented twice into index.php. I removed the second instance and things seem to repsond much quicker. Now I will wait to see if there is stilla general slowdown after time passes.. Again thanks!  =D> =D>

Jim

Offline Arthurhh

• Senior Contributor
  • IT Fixer
    • Tokoroa Weather Live
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 02:04:12 AM »
No magic bullets, but the most common cause of slow down on MS based machines in memory leaks, that is programs and processes that do not release memory when they conclude, that memory remains locked out to other processes and programs and eventually the system is using a large amount of swap file (artificial memory on a disk, where non active memory is transfered till it is needed in ram) the time for transfer from ram to disk is the cause of slowness. Look for evidence of lots of disk activity and look at task managers performance and stats tabs. Access task manager by right clicking task bar and selecting task manager.