Author Topic: WS-2000, WS2902 or Acurite Atlas...need advice please.  (Read 8257 times)

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
Re: WS-2000, WS2902 or Acurite Atlas...need advice please.
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 03:49:53 PM »
Since I received it in new condition, your remark is incorrect.  I was looking for suggestions and again, this should not have been available for purchase, she bought from someone on ebay in August last year, gave to me on Christmas.

Yikes. That was months after the Smart Hub announcement and after the new Access was available for sale.

It's always a risk buying from eBay. Anyone can sell anything. In this case it looks like you were taken advantage of by an unscrupulous seller. Your compliant should be with the eBay seller not Acurite (and I'm definitely not an Acurite "fan boy"). Like many here I was disappointed in how they handled the SH to Access switch over and will likely look elsewhere for my next station. That said I have a bunch of existing Acurite stuff I wanted to see online and buy the Access made the most (and least expensive) sense so that's what I did.

So is Acurite selling these units to the wholesale market and then absolving themselves of warranty responsibility or is there another explanation for the 250+ new 5-in-1 pws's on ebay?
There is a lot of grey market stuff on eBay in all areas. I'd like to know where it comes from too but I don't think it's necessarily fair to blame the manufacturer.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2019, 03:51:24 PM »
https://www.ebay.com/gds/Does-a-Manufacturers-Warranty-Mean-Anything-on-EBay-/10000000178951480/g.html

Read The Ebay Listing Carefully When It Comes To Coverage
The key "take away" for you as a reader of this Guide should be that much more often than not, you will see a disclaimer in such a warranty that says it is "limited to the original retail purchaser", or words to that effect.  So on ebay, unless you are buying directly from the manufacturer, or from a seller that claims to be (and actually is) a factory-authorized retail seller, you as an ebay buyer are not the "original retail purchaser" -- even if what you are buying is brand new, sealed, in the original box.  So unless you get some kind of receipt that you are the "original retail purchaser" as the maker of the item defines that phrase (and the maker honors that receipt as a genuine one), you don't have a warranty or guarantee other than whatever the ebay seller, and ebay, provide to you.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:53:25 PM by nincehelser »

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »
No accusation(s) made. Just a question asked.

So is Acurite selling these units to the wholesale market and then absolving themselves of warranty responsibility or is there another explanation for the 250+ new 5-in-1 pws's on ebay?

:roll:

Care to make up any other unfounded accusations?

Offline Lighty269

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 08:36:20 AM »
Acurite just made good on their discount.  So those of you who have the Atlas system is it reliable? Do you have pros and cons?

I have read so many reviews on Acurite and Ambient, my head is about to explode...

Offline jjh92

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2019, 07:53:00 AM »
Lighty269 I was where you were at earlier this winter.  Wanted the Atlas for features/price value but very concerned about the negative reviews.  There were several good amazon reviews in Feb so I thought maybe the quality problems are behind them and then a killer price deal was on Amazon for the Atlas 01008M package (Access only, no display) at $149 so I bought it.

Very happy to say the out-of-box setup was flawless and easy.  Has been running now for 1-month with no issues at all.  So, at this time I give Acurite Atlas 2-thums up.   [tup] [tup]

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2019, 12:28:34 AM »
1) The Atlas has a solar powered fan that circulates air over the temp/humidity sensors. Atlas temperature and humidity are more accurate than the Ambient. If the solar panels get dirty and/or the fan begins to wear out, temperature and humidity will be less accurate. The Ambient does not have a fan. The solar panel powers the sensors when there is light and the batteries power the sensor when there is no light. Atlas sensor array needs four batteries. Ambient sensor array only needs two batteries. Atlas has 1*F accuracy. Ambient has 2*F accuracy.

2) The Atlas sensor array samples the wind speed every 3.3 seconds and then transmits it every 10 seconds. The Ambient samples the wind speed every 1 second and then transmits it with the other data every 16 seconds. Ambient has a max wind speed of 100mph. Atlas has a max wind speed of 160mph.

3) Ambient display can communicate with the internet. The Atlas display can not communicate with the internet, even if you have the Access. Ambient could add NWS forecast, radar, etc to the WS2000 display. WS2000 will automatically update the time for Daylight Saving Time.

4) Ambient allows customers to update the firmware. Ambient could add new features and/or fix existing problems. Acurite does not allow customers to update the firmware.

5) Some people do not like that the Atlas shows a trailing 24hr rainfall reading. Ambient shows a midnight-to-midnight rainfall reading.

6) Atlas has a lightning detector option. Ambient could add a lightning detector to the WS2000. Lightning detectors are unreliable because they pickup interference. It is like pouring water into the rain gauge while it is raining. How much did it rain? How many lightning strikes are real?

7) Ambient WS2000 can display readings from eight indoor temp/humidity sensors.

8 ) Ambient WS2000 indoor temp/humidity sensor is separate from the display. You can place the sensor in a different location.

9) Ambient display has buttons. Atlas has a touch screen.

10) Atlas has a nicer today's/yesterday's/monthly records screens. The records screen on the Ambient WS200 does not look as nice. Ambient could release a firmware update.

I prefer the Ambient WS2000. It would be great if Ambient released an upgraded sensor array for the WS2000. Why replace the display? It would have more accurate sensors and higher wind speed. A separate wind vane and anemometer would be nice. A dynamic transmit speed based on weather conditions would be cool. The sensor array could transmit faster during a storm because weather conditions are changing quickly. It could transmit slower on a clear day in order to save power, because weather condition are not changing very much.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:33:51 AM by 49studebaker »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2019, 01:35:00 AM »
2) Every 10 seconds, the Atlas sensor array samples the wind speed and other data and then transmits it. The Ambient samples the wind speed every second and then transmits it with the other data every 16 seconds. If there is a one-time 5 second 50mph wind gust, the Ambient will record it. The Atlas will miss it.

The Atlas reports wind speed every 10 seconds.  That's not the sampling rate, which is much smaller.  Even a 5n1 has a sample window of 4 seconds.

The Atlas would certainly not miss your 5-second 50mph wind gust.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2019, 01:38:55 AM »
1) The Atlas has a solar powered fan that circulates air over the temp/humidity sensors. Atlas temperature and humidity are more accurate than the Ambient. If the solar panels get dirty and/or the fan begins to wear out, temperature and humidity will be less accurate. The Ambient does not have a fan. The solar panel powers the sensors when there is light and the batteries power the sensor when there is no light. Atlas sensor array needs four batteries. Ambient sensor array only needs two batteries.

Yes, the Atlas has fan aspiration.  That's a big plus over systems without.  For accurate temperatures, you need fan aspiration.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2019, 01:43:11 AM »
3) Ambient display can communicate with the internet. The Atlas display can not communicate with the internet, even if you have the Access. Ambient could add NWS forecast, radar, etc to the WS2000 display. WS2000 will automatically update the time for Daylight Saving Time.

Well, I guess Ambient COULD, but is it?  Some of Acurite's newer WiFi displays already have DarkSky forecasts from the internet now.  You should expect to see that soon in future Atlas displays.

DST updates are pretty standard, and the Atlas does have it.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2019, 01:47:53 AM »
6) Atlas has a lightning detector option. Ambient could add a lightning detector to the WS2000. Lightning detectors are unreliable because they pickup interference. It is like pouring water into the rain gauge while it is raining. How much did it rain? How many lightning strikes are real?

Yet they do work and provide useful information.  I don't pick up false strikes on my Atlas.  When a storm rolls through, I can easily see how the intensity of the storm changes with time.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2019, 01:55:30 AM »
9) Ambient display has buttons. Atlas has a touch screen. One of the problems with a touch screen is fingerprints.

Really?  What of all those SmartPhones, tablets, and other touch devices out there?

This is a non-problem.

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2019, 03:03:55 AM »
2) Every 10 seconds, the Atlas sensor array samples the wind speed and other data and then transmits it. The Ambient samples the wind speed every second and then transmits it with the other data every 16 seconds. If there is a one-time 5 second 50mph wind gust, the Ambient will record it. The Atlas will miss it.

The Atlas reports wind speed every 10 seconds.  That's not the sampling rate, which is much smaller.  Even a 5n1 has a sample window of 4 seconds.

A while ago, I asked about it on Amazon.

"Does the atlas sensor sample the peak wind speed every second and then transmit the data after 10 seconds? Will it record a 3 second wind gust?"

"The Atlas display will provide a wind speed reading every 10 seconds. This does not store the data between the 10-second interval. If you have any other questions, please contact the AcuRite Support Team via Live Chat, we are happy to assist you. Thank you.

Have a great day,
Rachell
AcuRite Support Team"

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx4NYNI64U78JN/ref=ask_dp_lsw_al_hza?asin=B074XKB239

Q: In regards to wind gusts. Is the sampling interval 10 sec or is the highest speed in the interval captured and reported every 10 seconds?
A: Hello John,
The Atlas display does not show Wind Gusts however, the wind peak on the Atlas display is the highest wind speed recorded over the past 60 minutes at 10 second intervals. If you have any other questions, please contact the AcuRite Support Team via Live Chat, we are happy to assist you. Thank you.

Have a great day,
Rachell
AcuRite Support Team
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 03:10:29 AM by 49studebaker »

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2019, 03:20:33 AM »
9) Ambient display has buttons. Atlas has a touch screen. One of the problems with a touch screen is fingerprints.

Really?  What of all those SmartPhones, tablets, and other touch devices out there?

This is a non-problem.

Those high end devices have a oleophobic coating(anti-fingerprint). Does the Atlas display have a oleophobic coating? Some people like buttons, while other people like a touchscreen. Each have advantages and disadvantages. Buttons can wear out.

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2019, 03:32:26 AM »

Yet they do work and provide useful information.  I don't pick up false strikes on my Atlas.  When a storm rolls through, I can easily see how the intensity of the storm changes with time.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Lightning detectors have advantages and disadvantages. Options are always good. It is best to let the customer decide whether something is useful or not. They created an air quality sensor addon. They plan to release other addon sensors. Maybe, Ambient will sell a lightning detector addon.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2019, 03:33:12 AM »

"Does the atlas sensor sample the peak wind speed every second and then transmit the data after 10 seconds? Will it record a 3 second wind gust?"

"The Atlas display will provide a wind speed reading every 10 seconds. This does not store the data between the 10-second interval. If you have any other questions, please contact the AcuRite Support Team via Live Chat, we are happy to assist you. Thank you.

Have a great day,
Rachell
AcuRite Support Team"

https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx4NYNI64U78JN/ref=ask_dp_lsw_al_hza?asin=B074XKB239

Q: In regards to wind gusts. Is the sampling interval 10 sec or is the highest speed in the interval captured and reported every 10 seconds?
The Atlas display does not show Wind Gusts however, the wind peak on the Atlas display is the highest wind speed recorded over the past 60 minutes at 10 second intervals. If you have any other questions, please contact the AcuRite Support Team via Live Chat, we are happy to assist you. Thank you.

Have a great day,
Rachell
AcuRite Support Team

Which is correct.  The display does not store anything other than 10-second data, because that is all the sensor is sending.

In the case of your 3-second gust, however, it would report that as the highest speed recorded over the 10-second reporting window.

The support person clearly didn't understand what you were asking.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2019, 03:34:31 AM »

This is a non-problem.

Those high end devices have a oleophobic coating(anti-fingerprint). Does the Atlas display have a oleophobic coating? Some people like buttons, while other people like a touchscreen. Each have advantages and disadvantages. Buttons can wear out.

Yep.

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2019, 03:57:51 AM »

Well, I guess Ambient COULD, but is it?  Some of Acurite's newer WiFi displays already have DarkSky forecasts from the internet now.  You should expect to see that soon in future Atlas displays.

It is impossible for the Atlas display to receive data from the internet. I do not work for Acurite and I could be wrong. It is possible for the WS2000 to receive data from the internet. Will Ambient add forecasts to the WS2000? That is an unknown. If there is enough customer demand, I assume they would add it. People wanted "Rain Rate" on the WS2000 display and Ambient released a firmware update that added this feature. It is possible, but it is not guaranteed. If someone wanted internet forecasts, he/she would have to replace their Atlas display.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2019, 04:13:50 AM »

It is impossible for the Atlas display to receive data from the internet. I do not work for Acurite and I could be wrong. It is possible for the WS2000 to receive data from the internet. Will Ambient add forecasts to the WS2000? That is an unknown. If there is enough customer demand, I assume they would add it. People wanted "Rain Rate" on the WS2000 display and Ambient released a firmware update that added this feature. It is possible, but it is not guaranteed. If someone wanted internet forecasts, he/she would have to replace their Atlas display.

Right.  Ambient isn't doing that, and it's unknown if they will do that.

Just the same, Acurite might offer customer firmware upgrades through the USB port hidden behind a panel at the bottom of the display.  Then again, they might not.

However, if Acurite does as they have done with the 5n1, you should soon see internet-enabled displays for the Atlas.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 04:24:49 AM by nincehelser »

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2019, 12:22:00 PM »
My 0.02$. My use is a bit different than the typical home user. I’m a storm chaser and purchased the Atlas back in November and have already been on a number of chases and the Atlas performs like a champion. Everything is accurate and I’ve never had connectivity issues.

Last week we got close to the Wichita Falls tornado after it crossed Fromm Texas to Oklahoma. The Atlas’s wind speed was critical in helping us avoid a potentially deadly situation. I’ve gotten very good support from the manufacturer. I’d definitely buy the Atlas again.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline 49studebaker

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2019, 12:47:58 PM »

Have a great day,
Rachell
AcuRite Support Team"

Have a great day,
Rachell
AcuRite Support Team

Which is correct.  The display does not store anything other than 10-second data, because that is all the sensor is sending.

In the case of your 3-second gust, however, it would report that as the highest speed recorded over the 10-second reporting window.

The support person clearly didn't understand what you were asking.

An Acurite representative on Amazon stated: "The wind speed sensor sample rate is every 3.3 seconds."

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2019, 01:09:25 PM »
An Acurite representative on Amazon stated: "The wind speed sensor sample rate is every 3.3 seconds."

Sample rate is different than reporting rate.
The sample rate is something the device does internally.
Then the reporting rate is what you see on the display or streaming data output...etc....essentially what you end up seeing is an average of all those internal samples.

Here you can see it is 10 seconds (reporting rate).
https://www.acurite.com/media/documents/AcuRite-Sensor-Comparison-Chart.pdf

The newest Ambient outdoor sensor array (Osprey) samples wind every 1 second. But it reports every 16 seconds.
Source:
https://ambientweather.net/help/wind-speed-reads-low-osprey-series/

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:15:22 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2019, 04:11:27 PM »

Sample rate is different than reporting rate.
The sample rate is something the device does internally.
Then the reporting rate is what you see on the display or streaming data output...etc....essentially what you end up seeing is an average of all those internal samples.

Here you can see it is 10 seconds (reporting rate).
https://www.acurite.com/media/documents/AcuRite-Sensor-Comparison-Chart.pdf

The newest Ambient outdoor sensor array (Osprey) samples wind every 1 second. But it reports every 16 seconds.
Source:
https://ambientweather.net/help/wind-speed-reads-low-osprey-series/

Acurite sends the highest value in a reporting period, not an average.

In other words, a 5n1 would send the highest wind speed recorded (through a 4 second sample) of an 18 second reporting interval.

Atlas has a 10 second reporting interval.  A 3.3 second sample sounds perfectly reasonable.  That works out nicely to 3 samples per 10 seconds, and then sending the highest.

Offline warprints

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2019, 04:35:14 PM »
I am also considering a new weather station (I currently am running a 20+ year old Vantage Pro (not Pro 2).   Am I correct that the WS-2000 console does not have battery backup?   That excludes it for me -- I live in southern Louisiana and need my weather station to operate (with the console operable) during hurricane black outs.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2019, 04:37:28 PM »
I live in southern Louisiana and need my weather station to operate (with the console operable) during hurricane black outs.
Many here use a UPS. Wouldn't do without it.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2019, 07:30:55 PM »
Am I correct that the WS-2000 console does not have battery backup?   That excludes it for me --
No battery?  Really?  I don't blame you, that would exclude it for me also.  Isn't that supposed to be part of the purpose of having a wireless station; to not have to have it tethered to an outlet, or even an UPS?

I also rely on UPS for some of my equipment, but mainly I use them to guard against temporary dropouts/brownouts, and to ensure I have plenty of time to cleanly shut down my equipment in case of extended outages, after which I'll shutdown the UPS rather than letting them set there and fully drain and beep incessantly.  I'm sure there are different types of UPS that may be more portable and not beep, or you could modify it to not beep, and a small one would probably power a console a long time.  And there are people who are more concerned about having their data on the internet full time, when I'm more concerned about having data saved locally, which batteries and my datalogger handle.

But anyway I'm surprised a console for a wireless station wouldn't have a battery backup.  If my original VP ever dies and I run out of spares for it, I guess I'll look somewhere other than Ambient.

anything