Author Topic: Strike accuracy  (Read 1133 times)

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Strike accuracy
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:19:35 PM »
I have a script running on one of my Linux machines that downloads the raw strike data from the Blitzortung server and converts the log to .kml files, which can be loaded into Google Earth.

I enjoy browsing the mapped strike points to try to determine from the satellite imagery what object was actually hit.

Here's a good example from the Rockford, IL area during the storms rolling through this morning (which have had my station in interference mode most of last night and this morning).

The yellow square is the calculated strike location, shown in the middle of a field. However, right next door are a few cell towers, which were almost certainly the actual strike point. You can see their shadows on the ground if you have trouble with the perspective. The accuracy seems quite good!

Don

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Strike accuracy
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 01:09:26 PM »
If you want to try to download the 10-minute .kml files so you can load them into a local copy of Google Earth, I have made them available on my server.

The server keeps three days of files. There are three files for each 10-minute period. For example:

2013-08-22-16-40.log - Raw log file containing data for each strike, direct from Blitzortung servers

2013-08-22-16-40.681.log.kml - The .kml file that contains all strikes where my station (681) had a part in locating the strike

2013-08-22-16-40.!681.log.kml - The .kml file that contains all strikes where my station (681) did NOT have a part in locating the strike

So, you need to download and load into Google Earth the 681 and !681 files to see all of the strikes in Region 3 for that 10 minute period.

The files are at: http://projectmf.homelinux.com/lightning_data/

The files are in ascending order by date.

Regards,

Don

anything