Author Topic: Hardware/Software Cross Reference  (Read 2107 times)

Offline Skyview

• Forecaster
  • Former Aviation Weather Observer
    • Fuquay Varina Weather
Hardware/Software Cross Reference
« on: March 27, 2015, 04:03:23 AM »
Has anyone put together or seen a cross reference of hardware and software commonly used? I'm still trying to figure out what works with what. I see bits and pieces here and there. For instance, I just saw that Weather Display can work with the Raspberry Pi. Something like this perhaps: Software (WD, Cumulus, Weewx, etc) on one axis and Hardware (Rasberry Pi, smartbedded products, etc.) on the other axis. I've also seen what appears to be people using the same terms to refer to different things. Meteobridge being referred to as a packaged complete solution, when in fact, it's the firmware that gets installed on a piece of hardware such as the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 router to complete the solution. Am I looking at any of this incorrectly? With all of the various HW/SW options floating about it would be great if we had a master cross reference of some kind to save people time and confusion. 

« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 04:06:43 AM by Skyview »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Hardware/Software Cross Reference
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 04:57:06 AM »
Not so far as I know. The problem would be that it's fairly obvious at a simplistic level, eg as 3 categories of software:

1. Those running on any 'modern' version of Windows (eg Win2K or later)
2. Linux software which will tend to run on most mainstream Linux platforms (subject to knowing how to tweak individual distributions and some, typically quite lowly, minimum hardware spec). Mac options would potentially be a special case here.
3. Applications like Meteobridge which effectively replace the host computer's OS.

But to go beyond this simple classification would get bogged down in a lot of detail about eg exactly which Linux distro's might be best for a given program once you had applied various tweaks to the configuration.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
I remember a chart from a link on the other weather forum (now closed) that had weather software versus equipment. It might still be out there somewhere.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
It seems to me, that in this age of 'instant' gratification, research and comparison is being discouraged,.  Instant 'fixes' to such things as weather, climate, etc, are not necessarily relevant or correct for a particular location, environment, budget, experience and background, etc.  Do the legwork... you'll be more content in the long-run  :twisted: