Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 350 times)

Offline dwaldmann

Introduction
« on: January 07, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
I have always (well, for a very long time, anyways) been interested in the Weather. In the age of Internet I have often dreamed of a weather station that could be accessed/shared by/with The World. However, I just never could justify the expense (to myself - I'm sure I could have explained it to my wife...).

Then almost a year ago we bought a house that had a Davis Vantage Pro 2 setup. The console wasn't receiving any data but I assumed there was a relatively minor issue somewhere but didn't have time to put into it.

About a month ago I saw a thread on a Tractor forum I participate in about weather stations. As I read through, the name Davis kept coming up as an upper level vendor and I thought it sounded familiar. Yup, I have a Vantage Pro 2...

But, the ISS was mounted in a not-easy-to-get-to location and I had lots of other stuff to do so it just was left on the back burner.

Then, last weekend (actually, it was New Year's Day) one of the translucent panels on my barn got torn off in high winds. In the course of replacing it, we took the ISS/Anemometer down so I could assess what was going on.

I had talked with a neighbor who helped the previous owner with various things and he had said that the unit kept eating batteries. Well, according to my assessment that is because he never hooked the solar panel back up to the ISS - the wire was just swinging in the air...

So I got a new battery, tested the solar panel output to ensure it was still functional (just over 2v under cloudy skies) and set it back up. Everything worked perfectly. Except the wind speed/direction. Actually, the Direction worked for the first 30 minutes to an hour, then it stopped as well. I ended up removing the anemometer to examine it, but everything looks fine/great as far as I can tell. The anemometer seems to be a sealed unit, so... I don't know if/how I could troubleshoot it.

Anyways, I called Davis and they are sending me a wind test cable, so I can determine if it's the anemometer itself, or the wind module. All at no charge. This may not be a surprise to those of you who are long term Davis customers, but I was fully expecting (and prepared) to pay for this to be sent. I mean, I was not the original owner, did not have any proof of ownership and did not even provide model/SN... Stellar customer service IMO.

Looking forward to full weather immersion, and the help/encouragement afforded by groups such as this.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 06:18:54 PM »
Hi and welcome from Komoka, Canada

While not to everyone's liking, you can't go wrong with a Davis and your experience has confirmed that for you =D>   Good luck with your restoration, and sounds as you've got a pretty good handle on it.

Enjoy,
Paul
p.s. Most new member introductions usually start here http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=98.0

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 06:29:58 PM »
"Welcome" from the 'land-o-sand', Arid-zona!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:31:38 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 10:07:17 PM »
Greetings and welcome from the northern shore of Lake Huron; Michigan.  Quite the introduction you have, I like your motivation.
Lots of good people and great information here.
Enjoy.

CW3699