Author Topic: Switching from Vantagee Pro2 Plus to Vantage Vue?  (Read 401 times)

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
Switching from Vantagee Pro2 Plus to Vantage Vue?
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »
 I owned a Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus but because of financial reasons (divorce) had to sell it. I'm looking at getting back into the hobby and am considering getting a Vantage Vue. My question is whether I'm going to regret "stepping down" a bit from a VP2 to a Vue? Thanks.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Switching from Vantagee Pro2 Plus to Vantage Vue?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 12:28:41 PM »
That depends what you want to do and what you would like.

VP2 has solar, UV, 24 FARS, can add extra sensors and anemometer can be set up high with ISS near ground, all of which are not in the Vue - is wind and rain measurement very important to you? 
The Vue is the same build quality and reception, next to none, of the Davis.  Weatherlink program and .com and third party programs and uploads would be the same.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 01:03:01 PM »
The vue has lots of shortcomings including the not so accurate temperature probe where the VP2 has advanced several times over the years. However For some as long as it's in the ballpark, its all that matters so it's up to the individual.

I myself would go this direction if VP2 was unaffordable.
Since most residential windspeed doesn't work well anyway, I would skip , and find an electronic thermometer, something accurate and use Rainwise standalone rain gauge like the Rainwise111 with a counter (they work well) and call it good before I went with the Vue and spoon tipping bucket and mounted thermometer way up in the air.
Get the 7714 shield made by Davis and put the thermometer probe inside mounted 5-6'  above ground level.
I don't want to bash but honestly, the Vue console is all I would use.

I would also check out VP2 prices at Scaled Instruments you may find the non-retail price is affordable.

Davis 7714 $54. https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7714-passive-radiation-shield/
Randy

Offline BDL69

• Washburn, WI Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »
Thanks for the information guys, much appreciated.  I will look around and do some more research before I make a decision.

anything