Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109442 times)

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
    • Anthem North Parkside, AZ
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #825 on: January 24, 2019, 11:13:50 AM »
Downloading and installing index.html and restarting WFL didn't fix the problem.

I started on WFL version 1.23. As directed, I installed 1.23S, saved the config files, installed 2.00, imported the config files (all with appropriate restarts) and am left with version 2.00. I haven't done anything with any version above 2.00

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

edit:
I tried updating the HTML files using what's in the 2.00 download. That removed the errors but left me with the old style real time data page. I then put back the index.html in post #784 and am back to the shown undefined values.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:28:55 AM by ANPweather »

Davis Vantage Vue, Davis Pro 2 Console with Wifi Logger
Weather Display software
WU: KAZNEWRI17
PWS: ANTHEMNP
CWOP: EW7526

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #826 on: January 24, 2019, 11:34:02 AM »
 From your description it appears that the automatic firmware upgrade from v2.00 to v2.08 didn’t take place during the installation of v2.00 so you have the index html of v2.08 with the firmware of v2.00.
It looks like you need to do a manual update to v2.08 as another member needed to do ( see replies 774 to 776 ). The link to download the manual update isn’t active any longer but I expect WiFiiLogger will activate it for you.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:53:11 AM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
« Reply #827 on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:23 PM »
That could be. I didn't really understand what was going on with the background update and having to wait. It's possible I didn't wait long enough for the background update to occur and messed it up somehow. Re-uploading the 2.00 .bin file doesn't trigger the background update anymore.

Weather Display software

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #828 on: January 24, 2019, 12:43:28 PM »
Sounds exactly like what happened to rockncola. If you restart before the automatic update to v2.08 finishes ( which WifiLogger says takes 5 minutes ) you’ll be stuck at v2.00 until you do a manual update. I’m sure WifiLogger will post a temporary link to v2.08 for you as he did for rockncola.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:50:29 PM by BigAlT »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #829 on: January 24, 2019, 03:13:10 PM »
Version 2.00 is stubborn. It always start to downloading file system with HTMLs, then when success it is starting to download firmware. If that won't be success, then it starting from begining with file system downloading.

I have tested this 15 times, but this server is in Poland. Probably Internet latency is a problem.

On the other hand this procedure is not easy.
- After update to 2.00 you have WiFiLogger without htmls.
- You have to format system file
- Upload HTML file using interface: http://YOUR_WFL_IP/admin/html
- Update with newest firmware (2.08)

At this moment if you don't won't to prevent settings, then only version 2.00 has to be updated, then all should be done by itself.
Then we have big problem when this stubborn firmware doesn't want to work with my scenario :(

If there will be more problems like this. I will need to change this 2.00 procedure.
Problem is, users shouldn't update from 1.24 to 2.08 directly.

I didn't want this big mess, but WiFiLogger project has to move forward.

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
« Reply #830 on: January 24, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »
So how do I go from my current 2.00 to 2.08?

Weather Display software

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #831 on: January 24, 2019, 04:18:01 PM »
In your unzipped download folder for update 2.00 there are two folders. One for 124s and one for 200. Open the 2.00 folder and you’ll see an html folder.
 In your browser enter http://the IP address of your WiFiLogger/admin/html and press enter.
That will bring up the menu for updating the html files. Browse to the downloaded folder that has the 200 html files and hit update. I’m not sure if you can just browse to the folder and hit enter and it will update all the files at once or if you have to open the folder and update them one at a time.
 From WiFiLogger’s comments your wifilogger should then update itself to v2.08.
 If that doesn’t work WiFiLogger will have to link you to the v2.08 update like he did for rockncola.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 04:51:31 PM by BigAlT »

Offline ANPweather

• Contributor
« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »
I've up-loaded the html files individually. Now the firmware shows 2.08 . So I guess I'm good for now. Thanks for the help.

Weather Display software

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #833 on: January 24, 2019, 04:57:23 PM »
Will firmware updates now be automatic for the logger?
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline BigAlT

« Reply #834 on: January 24, 2019, 05:11:20 PM »
I believe updates will have to be downloaded & updated manually as before. I believe this whole automated update process ( which has caused some problems as you can tell from the posts ) was required because of the necessity to reformat the system partition table of the WiFiLogger to make it larger to accommodate v2.08 and future upgrades.
As WiFiLogger stated in his reply #763  “To move forward with WiFiLogger firmware and new features we need to do one hard thing.
I have chosen bad partition table on the beginning. Firmware can be only 512kB. Now it's bigger, so partition table has to be changed.
Problem is, this operation will clear whole memory and your settings will be wiped out.”
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:10:03 AM by BigAlT »

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #835 on: January 25, 2019, 03:12:12 AM »
I’m very new to the Forum and new to weather stations.  I have a Davis VantageVue.  How does the WIFI Logger compare to the NANO SD?  on the surface they appear to be similar except for the price!
Thanks.

There are three standalone devices:
1. WeatherLink IP
2. WiFiLogger
3. MB Nano and MB Nano SD

1. WeatherLink IP
- Sending data through ethernet.
- Sending data to WeatherLink.com ONLY
- Working with WeatherLInk PC/Cumulus etc.

2. WiFiLogger
- is enchanced WeatherLink IP
- Using WiFi only
- Sending data to WeatherLink.com
- Working with WeatherLInk PC/Cumulus etc.
- Allow to send data to services like WU, PWS, WOW etc.
- Allow to export data to custom server FTP/HTTP/MQTT

3. MB Nano and MB Nano SD
I have never used this, but it has plenty of functions.
SD version allows to store archive data on SD card + SD can contain HTML website.
For sure it allows to send data to custom servers.
Nano is based on minimized Linux router/board

What has WiFiLogger which Nano don't have?
WiFiLogger is compatible with WeatherLink.com.
WFL has similar power consumption like original WeatherLinkIP. Nano needs 3x power.

If you know what to do with all Nano's functions and you need them, then probably that would be good choice for you.
If you are looking for 500% enhanced WeatherLinkIP(which is very good device) with WiFi to send data to WU, PWS etc. Then WiFilogger is absolutely good choice.
WiFiLogger was designed to be simple to use and setup. I hope that was done properly, but for this topic, users needs to say about.

I would summarize that there is only one thing the WiFi-Logger does the NANO does not, which is uploading data to the Davis Weatherlink network by "reusing" Davis upload credentials meant to support Davis USB loggers.

Apart from that the NANO SD is a complete different league when it comes to weather network support, upload to personal weather pages, support for the main weather templates, storing data, twitter, email, SMS, event triggers services, web cam support (with embedded weather data display), user interface, graphing weather data, exporting and importing weather data. It is mainly meant to replace your PC solution (although not fully reaching the options you have with WD and alike but it may fit for many). On the downside, it is more expensive than the WiFi logger.

Caveat: Please note that this is my subjective view as the one who developed the NANO as the latest member of the well established Meteobridge family with 6 years of development history and over 10000 installations around the world.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline rockncola

« Reply #836 on: January 26, 2019, 01:53:00 AM »
Here is an example of what I really want to get rid of in my PWS data:

04:40 PM   28.9°C   17.2°C   49%   3.2 kmh ENE   14.5 kmh   1011.5 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
04:30 PM   29.5°C   17.2°C   48%   6.4 kmh ESE   14.5 kmh   1011.5 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
04:20 PM   29.7°C   17.2°C   47%   Calm   11.3 kmh   1011.5 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
04:10 PM   29.4°C   17.2°C   48%   4.8 kmh ENE   17.7 kmh   1011.5 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
04:00 PM   29.5°C   17.2°C   48%   6.4 kmh ENE   14.5 kmh   1011.5 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm

I hope for a way to average wind speed to PWS in future version to get rid of "CALM 13 km/h wind gusts," or something along those lines.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 02:01:25 AM by rockncola »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #837 on: January 30, 2019, 09:13:46 AM »
A question; when I upload my data from WifiLogger to the likes of Wunderground and PWSweather, I notice that rainfall is calculated in 0.1mm increments (both sites report 0.5mm to have fallen). Thing is, I did change the setting to enable 0.2mm increments in WifiLogger which works and reports the correct 0.4mm on the main Wifilogger page. My question is why am I getting the correct output on WifiLogger page but incorrect 0.1mm increments to PWS / Wunderground? Thank you in advance.
Don't use 0.1mm this exist probably only in Davis manual. I should erase this from WFL.
I can see this problem.
- Davis not measure rain, but counts clicks from rain gauge.
- If you have regular Davis then 1 click = 0.01 inch = 0.254mm
- If you have 2mm weight adapter, then 1 click = 0.2mm = 0.007874015748 inch
WU takes rain in inches.
I have made 3 clicks = 0.6mm = 0.023622047244inch. WFL and console shows 0.02inch. This value goes to WU 0.02inch * 25.4 = 0.508, but WU shows 0.51mm

I will examine this. Maybe WU will take better precision than 0.01 inch. This will solve problem. US customers should not have such problem. Measure in inches, send in inches.

That's interesting. I have a 0.2mm metric adapter in my VP2 and have console also set to 0.2mm. What about PWSweather?  It is showing the same 0.5mm as well. Do I wait for a fix from your end?

I have tested this situation.
WeatherLink PC also is sending 0.02 inch, when real is 0.6mm.
WiFiLogger in test firmware was sending 0.0236220 insted of 0.02, but on WeatherUnderground it was still 0.51mm.
I can't send proper mm vaule to those sites, but I will check all of exports functions, maybe some sites will takes better precisions.

Because you  have checed that. I will repair JSON export data. I will start to send
0.0236220 instead of 0.02

You really helped me here and you have found serious problem.
Thank you.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:05:27 AM by WiFiLogger »

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
« Reply #838 on: January 30, 2019, 04:53:16 PM »
@WiFiLogger: I sent you a PM just before the weekend with a suggestion/offer that I thought more appropriately sent that way, and I haven't had a reply. It occurred to me that you may have PMs disabled. If so, please send me a PM with an appropriate email address (which I promise not to sell or use for anything else!) to allow me to contact you. If you got the original message and simply have no interest, please just let me know, here or by PM.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #839 on: January 31, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »
I am preparing option to choose wind data which will be exported.
Console has wind data as:
- current wind
- current wind direction
- 2 min average
- 10 min average

I will make option for user to choose which one should be exported to WU, PWS, etc. as wind data.

Question is:
Option should be next to every export settings. Separate for WU, separate for PWS etc. (RapidFire is always current)
Or option can be one for all exports. When you pick 2 min avg, then all weather services will get 2 min avg.

How this should be realized?

Offline jcookjr82

• Contributor
« Reply #840 on: January 31, 2019, 03:05:16 PM »
Is there an official standard? NOAA? NWS?
Davis Vantage Vue (Brentwood, CA KCABRENT8 and Arnold, CA KCAARNOL99)
Davis Vantage Pro2 (Lakehead, CA KCALAKEH52)
LaCrosse 2813 (retired 1/17/2018)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #841 on: January 31, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »
Is there an official standard? NOAA? NWS?

Not in the single sense that I think you mean. The different values are used in different ways, eg from memory:

Current wind typically refers to the current gust speed, eg the most recent 2.25 sec reading for Davis stations - this is going to be the value that shows maximum wind speed;

2min mean - typically used in aviation, eg wind = x (ie 2min mean) gust = y (gust only reported if above some minimum threshold which I can't remember, but maybe eg 10 knots)

10 min mean - typically used for meteorological reports and eg hurricane/cyclone and Beaufort scale etc definitions

AFAIK the above definitions are those recognised by WMO (ie the most internationally recognised values), but in certain countries (maybe even the US) different definitions may be used.

Really all three values have their own utility - a good weather report might include all three, but not often done.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:16:28 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline rockncola

« Reply #843 on: January 31, 2019, 05:03:14 PM »
I seem to be getting erroneous data readings which have occured at exactly 6:00am the last two mornings and 6:00pm three mornings ago. This never happened before three days ago. They do not show up in Today's Highs / Lows on Real-Time Data page, only on PWSweather. Does this sound WifiLoggger related? What could be the cause?

Yesterday:

05:50 AM   20.3°C   18.9°C   90%   0.2 kmh S   3.2 kmh   1012.9 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
06:00 AM   20.6°C   -18.3°C   90%   SSE   -   1013.2 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
06:10 AM   20.8°C   18.9°C   90%   0.2 kmh SE   3.2 kmh   1013.2 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm

Today:

05:50 AM   19.3°C   17.8°C   90%   Calm   -   1012.5 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
06:00 AM   19.3°C   -18.3°C   90%   SE   -   1012.9 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm
06:10 AM   19.5°C   17.8°C   90%   Calm   1.6 kmh   1012.9 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm

edit: It has now occurred at 1:00pm:

01:00 PM   28.7°C   -18.3°C   54%   ENE   -   1012.9 mb   0.0 mm   0.0 mm   0.0 mm

But on WifiLogger's Real-Time Data page and also on console, it has not occurred at all. It is only when uploading to PWS.

I am preparing option to choose wind data which will be exported.
Console has wind data as:
- current wind
- current wind direction
- 2 min average
- 10 min average

I will make option for user to choose which one should be exported to WU, PWS, etc. as wind data.

Question is:
Option should be next to every export settings. Separate for WU, separate for PWS etc. (RapidFire is always current)
Or option can be one for all exports. When you pick 2 min avg, then all weather services will get 2 min avg.

How this should be realized?

It should probably be separate for each but that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:57:40 PM by rockncola »

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #844 on: February 01, 2019, 05:31:54 PM »
Just want to chime in here.  I believe I was the first paying customer for Wifilogger in the US (tough times when this is what you think of yourself!!!).  I'm still on firmware 1.20.  This device and my VP2 have been running flawlessly for months.  Never one disconnection or issue.  I keep it simple and only upload to WU, PWS, and CWOP.

Thank you to Wojtek for making such a great product and for the continued support.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #845 on: February 01, 2019, 06:21:27 PM »
I seem to be getting erroneous data readings which have occured at exactly 6:00am the last two mornings and 6:00pm three mornings ago. This never happened before three days ago. They do not show up in Today's Highs / Lows on Real-Time Data page, only on PWSweather. Does this sound WifiLoggger related? What could be the cause?

It looks like LPS command had problem. I was changing some things in this area.
I will make it more robust.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #846 on: February 01, 2019, 06:21:51 PM »
Just want to chime in here.  I believe I was the first paying customer for Wifilogger in the US (tough times when this is what you think of yourself!!!).  I'm still on firmware 1.20.  This device and my VP2 have been running flawlessly for months.  Never one disconnection or issue.  I keep it simple and only upload to WU, PWS, and CWOP.

Thank you to Wojtek for making such a great product and for the continued support.
:grin: :oops:

Offline WXgeek

« Reply #847 on: February 05, 2019, 09:38:58 PM »

Hey Guys! i just updated my WIFI logger following the instructions to update BIN 124s and then uploading 2.00 firmware, after waiting 30 min the logger never returned so i went to setup mode and tried to setup the wifi and it said file not found ? did i just wipe my logger clean? I fear it's dead! any help!?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:45:22 PM by WXgeek »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #848 on: February 07, 2019, 04:18:06 PM »
Question: Does the WiFi Logger send Altimeter Pressure to CWOP?

I suspect but I'm not sure that the WiFi Logger is sending Sea Level Pressure to CWOP instead of sending Altimeter Pressure. CWOP requests that stations send Altimeter Pressure. Altimeter Pressure is something that other weather software is able to send to CWOP by using LOOP2 where the Davis console provides Absolute Pressure (Station Pressure) to then be used to compute Altimeter Pressure by the weather software (the WiFi Logger in this case). Not sending Altimeter to CWOP is a pretty big deal and it throws off quality reporting analysis of not just your station but of your neighbors which won't be happy with you if you continue to send Sea Level Pressure.

This came to my attention in this thread:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35756.msg370181#msg370181

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 04:19:40 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #849 on: February 07, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
Question: Does the WiFi Logger send Altimeter Pressure to CWOP?

I suspect but I'm not sure that the WiFi Logger is sending Sea Level Pressure to CWOP instead of sending Altimeter Pressure. CWOP requests that stations send Altimeter Pressure. Altimeter Pressure is something that other weather software is able to send to CWOP by using LOOP2 where the Davis console provides Absolute Pressure (Station Pressure) to then be used to compute Altimeter Pressure by the weather software (the WiFi Logger in this case). Not sending Altimeter to CWOP is a pretty big deal and it throws off quality reporting analysis of not just your station but of your neighbors which won't be happy with you if you continue to send Sea Level Pressure.

This came to my attention in this thread:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35756.msg370181#msg370181

I will let Wojtek chime in, but what uploads to CWOP from this logger is whatever displays on your VP2 console. I have both the Davis logger and the WiFi logger and they both work that way. To get around this oddity, most of us have set our elevation on the console to zero then calibrated our Davis consoles to match a nearby airport that reports altimeter. Once that is done, periodically compare your readings to that nearby airport and readjust as necessary, but you should be ok. I understand the Vantage Vue console has the ability to do what you want it to do, just not the VP2 console.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0