Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109398 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #550 on: September 21, 2018, 01:49:38 PM »
Edit.
I think I've seen somewhere in the thread about all the parameters in the file, but can't find it. Someone who can help me? (Meaning of them.)
http://wifilogger.net/files/WFLexport.xlsx

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #551 on: September 21, 2018, 03:52:18 PM »
Edit.
I think I've seen somewhere in the thread about all the parameters in the file, but can't find it. Someone who can help me? (Meaning of them.)
http://wifilogger.net/files/WFLexport.xlsx
Thanks!

Offline GBAllison

« Reply #552 on: September 22, 2018, 04:02:10 PM »
I have the WiFiLogger. It was installed and working when Hurricane Florence hit my house. Of course my power went out, and the WiFi router turned off. And the console’s AC power went off. But the Davis was outside spinning away. And the console had its brand new batteries installed. Since then power has been restored and the console turned back on again. Two questions:

1. Is there any way to retrieve what the Davis recorded as the hurricane went through? (We think the eye hit us.)

2. I have not done anything to reset the console or the  WiFiLogger. But it’s not on the router (or talking to weatherunderground) any more. Part of me wants to reset it, but not if it’s going to erase the hurricane data.

Help?  Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 04:55:50 PM by GBAllison »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #553 on: September 22, 2018, 04:41:57 PM »
You need to click on white button on WFL. It will reboot WFL. Don't reboot console if it works, just WFL itself.
Data are stored as archive records on flash memory, regular logger feature. You can always download it.
WFL is not making own cache, just transmit what can get from console.

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #554 on: September 22, 2018, 04:54:17 PM »
This is a fantastic product.  Just wrote a custom parser that reads wflexp.json and sends the data to my RainMachine sprinkler system. 

Offline GBAllison

« Reply #555 on: September 22, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
You need to click on white button on WFL. It will reboot WFL. Don't reboot console if it works, just WFL itself.
Data are stored as archive records on flash memory, regular logger feature. You can always download it.

When I press the white button to reset it, how much of a history is saved? Obviously set by amount of flash memory but generally like 30 days or so?  (I’m out of the country and concerned that if we press the white button before I get back, all the history will be overwritten ...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:03:12 PM by GBAllison »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #556 on: September 22, 2018, 05:26:39 PM »

When I press the white button to reset it, how much of a history is saved? Obviously set by amount of flash memory but generally like 30 days or so?  (I’m out of the country and concerned that if we press the white button before I get back, all the history will be overwritten ...

WFL contains flash memory, but it's console system. This is regular flash chip like all other logger use, because console has to recognize this particular chip.
1 Minute Archive Interval    42 hours
5 Minute Archive Interval    8 days
10 Minute Archive Interval   17 days
15 Minute Archive Interval   26 days
30 Minute Archive Interval   53 days
60 Minute Archive Interval   106 days
120 Minute Archive Interval  213 days

If WFL is not sending data and WiFi is recovered, then battery voltage could go to low. WFL chip can be disabled. Need to be rebooted.
Only problem is when you reboot WFL. You can download archive records as a file, but it won't goes to WU.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2018, 05:29:17 PM »
This is a fantastic product.  Just wrote a custom parser that reads wflexp.json and sends the data to my RainMachine sprinkler system.

I didn't predict such uses of it. I am happy that you have beed successed.

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #558 on: September 28, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
Happy to have received my WiFiLogger yesterday.  I am in the midst of setting it up and have run into a problem.  Not sure if I should post it here or try for the developer's support email directly.

Because of the layout of my home, my primary router (192.168.x.x) doesn't reach easily from one end to the other.  As such, I put in a secondary router (10.0.x.x) linked to the first through a powerline link.  It's worked great for years.  The secondary router, because of the central location in the house, provides my "guest" wifi that is isolated from my home's main wifi.  I use that for guests as well as IoT devices in case they like to snoop around (not that they every would  :roll:).  As an IoT device, I put the WiFiLogger on the public wifi.  I have a network at home that incorporates PiHole as my DNS on a RaspberryPi to help filter content across my entire network, but it has rarely caused problems for some devices.  For those devices, I switch from the DNS from the PiHole to Google's 8.8.8.8 on those specific devices.  However, I cannot change that setting in the WiFiLogger.  It keeps reverting to the Gateway setting of the router, even if I press "save" on the screen.

I am able to connect to the WiFiLogger as indicated in the instructions during the setup mode.  I am able to see a "connected" status on the device after setup and can see a number of the local wifi SSID's.  I can see real-time weather data, which is terrific.  I entered in my Wunderground and WeatherLink information.  Unfortunately, when I try to finalize setup by resetting the device and connecting through the local IP on the router and not the 192.168.4.1 address, I am unable to connect, getting a timeout error.  I checked the secondary router and confirmed the IP address had been issued to the WiFiLogger, but I cannot connect to it, whether I am on the public or private wifi of the secondary router.  I have disabled the PiHole, with no success.  I went to the primary router's setting, which generates the main DNS routing through the PiHole and reverted the DNS to the local cable provider's automatic setting, yet still no luck.  The other devices are able to connect to the internet, regardless of whether I have the automatically-provided DNS from the cable company or the PiHole DNS.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?  I confess the only change I've not made is to update the firmware yet.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #559 on: September 28, 2018, 11:42:28 AM »
Happy to have received my WiFiLogger yesterday.  I am in the midst of setting it up and have run into a problem.  Not sure if I should post it here or try for the developer's support email directly.

Because of the layout of my home, my primary router (192.168.x.x) doesn't reach easily from one end to the other.  As such, I put in a secondary router (10.0.x.x) linked to the first through a powerline link.  It's worked great for years.  The secondary router, because of the central location in the house, provides my "guest" wifi that is isolated from my home's main wifi.  I use that for guests as well as IoT devices in case they like to snoop around (not that they every would  :roll:).  As an IoT device, I put the WiFiLogger on the public wifi.  I have a network at home that incorporates PiHole as my DNS on a RaspberryPi to help filter content across my entire network, but it has rarely caused problems for some devices.  For those devices, I switch from the DNS from the PiHole to Google's 8.8.8.8 on those specific devices.  However, I cannot change that setting in the WiFiLogger.  It keeps reverting to the Gateway setting of the router, even if I press "save" on the screen.

I am able to connect to the WiFiLogger as indicated in the instructions during the setup mode.  I am able to see a "connected" status on the device after setup and can see a number of the local wifi SSID's.  I can see real-time weather data, which is terrific.  I entered in my Wunderground and WeatherLink information.  Unfortunately, when I try to finalize setup by resetting the device and connecting through the local IP on the router and not the 192.168.4.1 address, I am unable to connect, getting a timeout error.  I checked the secondary router and confirmed the IP address had been issued to the WiFiLogger, but I cannot connect to it, whether I am on the public or private wifi of the secondary router.  I have disabled the PiHole, with no success.  I went to the primary router's setting, which generates the main DNS routing through the PiHole and reverted the DNS to the local cable provider's automatic setting, yet still no luck.  The other devices are able to connect to the internet, regardless of whether I have the automatically-provided DNS from the cable company or the PiHole DNS.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?  I confess the only change I've not made is to update the firmware yet.

When you use red button you are starting SETUP MODE. This gives you open network WiFiLoggerSetup and static IP address of this network 192.168.4.1 - this is Access Point only for setup.
WiFiLogger normally works as client in WiFi network (SETUP MODE gives you possibility to establish connection with your router, nothing more). Your WFL will obtain new IP Address from your router (from DHCP service on your router).
In your local network you don't use 192.168.4.1, you should use this one given by router. Please go to Network Info page and there you should find your local IP.
You can always activate SETUP MODE, by red button, just remember to reboot device after that.

You should reboot device after Setup Mode. WFL is trying to send data through this WiFiLoggerSetup which has no internet. So during using Setup Mode no export will happened.

Please let us know here if you have more problems, or contact me directly wifilogger@qq.com
Wojtek

Offline GeneDoc

« Reply #560 on: September 28, 2018, 12:04:34 PM »
I'm thoroughly confused now.  As you suggested, I'd gone through the reset after setting up the wifi.  I tried to use the new IP address and not the setup IP address, but no luck.  So, explain to me how it's uploading data to both WeatherUnderground and WeatherLink 2.0.  So, I'm happy it's working, but I don't know why I cannot connect to it using the IP address assigned by the router.

The wonderful WeatherUnderground and WeatherLink signature links don't seem to work.  I'm sure there are many comments and threads to address this, but I don't have time to figure out another problem.  I'm just thrilled I seem to be getting most data (except barometric data) out to the 'net.  My station is

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #561 on: September 28, 2018, 01:06:56 PM »
So, explain to me how it's uploading data to both WeatherUnderground and WeatherLink 2.0.  So, I'm happy it's working, but I don't know why I cannot connect to it using the IP address assigned by the router.

I don't have the answer but on several occasions I have had where I am unable to access my WiFiLogger ip 192.168.0.xx (5, 10 or more minutes) but all the uploads work fine at their 5 min interval, WL, WU, CWOP, etc.  Then later I can access the WiFiLogger IP and everything continues fine.  During those periods I can access my Modem/Router Ip 198.168.0.1 just fine.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline TellTell

« Reply #562 on: October 02, 2018, 07:11:35 AM »
Dear Wojtek,

Congratulations on your marvelous invention. I've just bought a Davis Instrument Pro2 6163 with UV and solar sensors and would love to buy your gadget and hook it up to my console.

I have read in forums that data from the sensors are transmitted to the console every 2.5 seconds and I have two questions.

1) Does WFL capture this data and sends it every 2.5 seconds or does it send it every minute?
2) Can I customize the WFL to send this raw data to automatically update an existing text file / database on an FTP server / file share?

Thanks and great work.
Chris

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #563 on: October 02, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »
Dear Wojtek,
Congratulations on your marvelous invention. I've just bought a Davis Instrument Pro2 6163 with UV and solar sensors and would love to buy your gadget and hook it up to my console.
I have read in forums that data from the sensors are transmitted to the console every 2.5 seconds and I have two questions.
1) Does WFL capture this data and sends it every 2.5 seconds or does it send it every minute?
2) Can I customize the WFL to send this raw data to automatically update an existing text file / database on an FTP server / file share?
Thanks and great work.
Chris

1. RapidFire has 3s update, MQTT has same 3s update and WFL's page with current data has 3s update. I have promised also another set of functions WFL func. + php file. If it's important that could be also in sec. not in minutes.
It is forbidden to update data more frequently than 5-10 min to many services.
Custom exports is other thing, but FTP cost about 5-6sec to finish. That why it's in minutes + some hosting can reject connection because of to many in same time.
Please calculate 3s + Internet latency  + server latency. In my opinion we should talk about 5s export.

2. I was thinking about exporting raw data. I have prepared JSON export file with current and hilow data. Now I think that I will continue with this JSON file. Maybe I will expand it with some console setup data.
JSON file with all current data is available by FTP and MQTT. I will add PHP file to receive it also in the near feature. PHP will feed database with meteo data.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #564 on: October 02, 2018, 06:06:23 PM »
I'm thoroughly confused now.  As you suggested, I'd gone through the reset after setting up the wifi.  I tried to use the new IP address and not the setup IP address, but no luck.  So, explain to me how it's uploading data to both WeatherUnderground and WeatherLink 2.0.  So, I'm happy it's working, but I don't know why I cannot connect to it using the IP address assigned by the router.

The wonderful WeatherUnderground and WeatherLink signature links don't seem to work.  I'm sure there are many comments and threads to address this, but I don't have time to figure out another problem.  I'm just thrilled I seem to be getting most data (except barometric data) out to the 'net.  My station is

You need to use same network to make access to WFL. Please log to the same access point to access to WFL. Please check WiFi client isolation option in your router. This option will not allow you to access to other devices.

Offline TellTell

« Reply #565 on: October 03, 2018, 01:03:09 AM »
So data can be collected at around circa 6 seconds - I understand your hardware and software latencies argument. So what is the best way forward to get the data "out" of the console as soon as it is available? Can the WFL write the data to a share or can I have a server poll the data from the WFL and manage the sync?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #566 on: October 03, 2018, 11:00:46 AM »
So data can be collected at around circa 6 seconds - I understand your hardware and software latencies argument. So what is the best way forward to get the data "out" of the console as soon as it is available? Can the WFL write the data to a share or can I have a server poll the data from the WFL and manage the sync?

In my opinion for custom export best option is this one which is not existed yet - PHP.
MQTT has always open connection with server and connection is negotiated. Little more job to do by WFL.
FTP needs to send set of commands and WFL has to wait for answer for each. Timout is set to 15sec. 3-4 sec is minimal time to make FTP transfer. FTP is using 2 ports.
PHP is the same technic which is used by all weather hostings WL.com, WU, PWS, AWEKAS, WOW etc. - transfer is the fastest. Only one port is opened and data are printed to server.
All calculation job are made by PHP + database server. Using regular cheap hosting you won't establish second WL.com, but for 20-50 stations MySQL + PHP should be ok.

You have been asking about data transfer when changes occur. WFL is not working like this. Cumulus is opening connection with console and receive console real time data with console interval 2-2.5 sec. WFL is sending command to console before job (WU, PWS, FTP exports). When you don't set any activity for WFL then it's standby and waiting for connection from PC software. Console has also sleep mode, after 2 min from last transfer it's saving energy.
Continues LOOP data reading it's a very nice feature, but WFL has to be more flexible. It has to be ready to read:
 - real time data
 - archive data
 - settings
 - give access to PC software
That why was better in my opinion to set 3 sec. interval for MQTT, RapidFire, than changing whole logic to continues console readings.
I could add only function which would check if frame is not the same which was transferred 3 sec. before, then drop unnecessary transmission.

Offline TellTell

« Reply #567 on: October 03, 2018, 01:49:01 PM »
Thank you again for your information. One final question if I may :).

How many raw data does the WFL collect and store per minute? So if for example we poll the WFL from our SQL server for an update, let's say one poll successfully retrieved at 20:30 and another poll successfully at 20:32, how many lines of data would it collect?

We will obviously be polling the WFL the server per hours.

Thanks again,
Chris

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #568 on: October 03, 2018, 02:35:27 PM »
Are there any forum members who know whether the WiFiLogger Davis console interface functions with WeatherCat 3, Apple Mac OSX Software?

https://trixology.com/weathercat/

Thanks.

Just got the logger today. Set up was easy as pie and so was the firmware update. All weather sites receiving data. Except I'm stumped on the WeatherCat set up. Not sure how to go about it. Anyone?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #569 on: October 03, 2018, 04:20:55 PM »
Are there any forum members who know whether the WiFiLogger Davis console interface functions with WeatherCat 3, Apple Mac OSX Software?
Thanks.
Just got the logger today. Set up was easy as pie and so was the firmware update. All weather sites receiving data. Except I'm stumped on the WeatherCat set up. Not sure how to go about it. Anyone?

Please go to SETUP|SYSTEM set TCP port as AUTO PAUSE.
In SETUP|WIFI SETUP you will find TCP port number. Default is 22222, please just check if it's not 0.

You should be able to connect WeatherCat by writing ip address of WFL. Interface the same like WL IP.

Please note that AUTO PAUSE has safety feature. It will reject client when there is no data transfer from WeatherCar to WFL in 60s. Cumulus works like this just start command to continues data transfer from console and no other activity from Cumulus. So WFL will reject Cumulus, but Cumulus has feature to release connection every minute. WL IP and WFL can make own uploads in this "DISCON PERIOD".
I don't know how WeatherCat is working. I hope there will be no problem with it.

Offline G4EQZ

« Reply #570 on: October 03, 2018, 04:56:03 PM »
Hi Wojciech, Been using your WiFiLogger for several months and very happy with it. Today I switched ISP from BT (DSL connection) to Virgin fiber straight into the home which is really very much faster.
Unfortunately, the output from the logger to Weather Underground and Weatherlink doesn't work anymore. If I switch back to the BT router and DSL it works perfectly. Have tried changing values in the router including switching off firewall, setting logger to the DMZ port but made no difference. It is almost certainly an issue with the Virgin router (which have a bad reputation) but I wondered if you have any suggestions plus before I do battle with their support people can you let me know what protocols are used for the uploads so I can have a more informed conversation with their technical people.

Any help is much appreciated

Best regards

Keith

Offline crawdad62

« Reply #571 on: October 03, 2018, 05:56:46 PM »
Thanks.

Please go to SETUP|SYSTEM set TCP port as AUTO PAUSE.
In SETUP|WIFI SETUP you will find TCP port number. Default is 22222, please just check if it's not 0.

You should be able to connect WeatherCat by writing ip address of WFL. Interface the same like WL IP.

Please note that AUTO PAUSE has safety feature. It will reject client when there is no data transfer from WeatherCar to WFL in 60s. Cumulus works like this just start command to continues data transfer from console and no other activity from Cumulus. So WFL will reject Cumulus, but Cumulus has feature to release connection every minute. WL IP and WFL can make own uploads in this "DISCON PERIOD".
I don't know how WeatherCat is working. I hope there will be no problem with it.

Thank you! All is well now. Everything is reporting where it should. Thanks again for you help.

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #572 on: October 04, 2018, 08:24:01 PM »
Question.

When looking at the Real Time Data on the loggers homepage it looked a bit strange.
Under the heading Today's Highs, wind it says, 2,7m/s at 0:04. But when I looked in the .json-file it said 6,0 at 0:00.
Why doesn't the json-file get the right timestamp?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #573 on: October 05, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
Question.
When looking at the Real Time Data on the loggers homepage it looked a bit strange.
Under the heading Today's Highs, wind it says, 2,7m/s at 0:04. But when I looked in the .json-file it said 6,0 at 0:00.
Why doesn't the json-file get the right timestamp?

True - something is wrong. I will examine that. - I have checked. My fault. I have put barometer time in Json file. Copy paste mistake.
Please note that WFL is reading HiLows not more often than every 3 min. Also HiLows upload to WL.COM is not more often than this 180s.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:08:36 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline Lars_Olsson

« Reply #574 on: October 06, 2018, 09:43:37 AM »
Thanks. Had a look in my php and couldn't find any Fault when parsing to my db. Glad I found it.