Author Topic: Sending WeatherlinkIP data to Weather Underground PWS  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Scott216

Sending WeatherlinkIP data to Weather Underground PWS
« on: October 19, 2014, 11:08:23 AM »
I was looking at Davis's WeatherLinkIP device.  I see in the description that it will send data to CWOP and The Globe Program.  Is there an automated way to get the data from either of these two sites and send to a Weather Underground personal weather station (without using a PC)?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
Re: Sending WeatherlinkIP data to Weather Underground PWS
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 12:59:18 PM »
I was looking at Davis's WeatherLinkIP device.  I see in the description that it will send data to CWOP and The Globe Program.  Is there an automated way to get the data from either of these two sites and send to a Weather Underground personal weather station (without using a PC)?
It will send the data to WeatherUnderground,Globe and CWOP as long as you have an account.
Mine is doing that for years.
Wim

Offline Scott216

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 01:05:07 PM »
It will send the data to WeatherUnderground,Globe and CWOP as long as you have an account.
Wim
Is the weatherlinkIP reliable? Does it ever hang or need to be rebooted?

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Wim
Never had to reboot or anything.  I have 2 WLIP in use 24/24 - 7/7 for over 2 years.

The WeatherlinkIP has to upload to WL.com only.  The software on the server does the upload to CWOP, Globe and WU.

BUT WL.com (the server-software) does not yet support uploading  my soil-sensors to WU. It is displayed on WL.com but not uploaded to WU. They will do in the future but not now yet.
That is the only small negative aspect.

No missed data in a few years. The WLIP's  are also used by a local weatherprogram for testing concurently.

Wim
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 01:15:01 PM by wvdkuil »

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:25:50 PM »
Wim

I have had to "reboot" mine a couple of times in the 2½ years that I have owned it. The problem is that it requires a AC power cable and battery removal to perform the reboot. I wish that Davis had put a little reset button on it...

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Scott216

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »
Why is there a battery? If you lose power, you're router will be offline and you can't send anything via the internet anyway.

Offline wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »
Why is there a battery? If you lose power, you're router will be offline and you can't send anything via the internet anyway.
The WLIP is a logger. It stores month of data. The  WLIP needs more power than an usb logger. So there is always a connection with the power grid needed. But when the power grid fails the console is using the batteries and continues to receive the weatherdata from the weatherstation and the WLIP stores that. When power is restored the WLIP can continue to send to WL.com and the weatheprogram can retreive the otherwise missed data.

Wim
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:06:35 PM by wvdkuil »