Author Topic: future upgrades or redesign of the 5 in 1 sensor?  (Read 805 times)

Offline txbayou

future upgrades or redesign of the 5 in 1 sensor?
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:10:03 PM »
With the various product  changes underway at Acurite, I wonder if anyone has heard about upgrades or redesign Acurite might have in store for the 5 in 1.

As I understand it the Atlas line, when it comes out, will be a step or two up in features and price from the 5 in 1.
Though it seems the 5 in 1 bundles have already gotten more expensive since the intro of the Access hub.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: future upgrades or redesign of the 5 in 1 sensor?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »
With the various product  changes underway at Acurite, I wonder if anyone has heard about upgrades or redesign Acurite might have in store for the 5 in 1.

As I understand it the Atlas line, when it comes out, will be a step or two up in features and price from the 5 in 1.
Though it seems the 5 in 1 bundles have already gotten more expensive since the intro of the Access hub.

There are none that I'm aware of.  They do make small changes from time to time, but they don't make any announcements, so you basically have to wait until a user "discovers" something is different.

Offline txbayou

Re: future upgrades or redesign of the 5 in 1 sensor?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 07:55:43 PM »

There are none that I'm aware of.  They do make small changes from time to time, but they don't make any announcements, so you basically have to wait until a user "discovers" something is different.
[/quote]

A year ago, my wife bought me a smart hub and a 5in1 on a click thru deal from the WeatherUnderground  site for IIRC $110.00. Too low a price to pass up, except now I have to replace the hub. That's why it was so cheap I guess.

Not to worry, I just used my "unique $90 discount code" ($88.63, when I used it) to purchase the equivalent bundle again, this time with the access hub and a 5in1, for a total of around $61.00. Such a deal!

The plus is I get the new hub for $40 and a backup 5in1 for "just" an extra $21. Silly game. At these prices, that's why I'm wondering if at some point in the not too distant future  the current 5in1 won't be superseded by  a new and more desirable unit, after Acurite has sponsored a sale period to sucker customers into buying the old one for cheap. $21 for a 5in1 I can't pass it up!! But I don't suppose all of the old 5in1's would be bricked in the way that the old smart hubs will be!

I can understand why so many customers are miffed in so many ways. Also, if I had known a year ago that we would have spent close to $200 by this time, even if it's at steep discounts, I would have opted for an Ambient Weather station in that price range. They seem to have have more features and more capable software.

anything