Author Topic: BC Fires - Smokey Sunrise  (Read 946 times)

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
BC Fires - Smokey Sunrise
« on: July 06, 2015, 09:33:19 AM »
We are now buried in smoke from the BC wildfires.  Our beautiful blues and greens are now gray...  All you can see is smoke.  The last look at color for us was sunrise yesterday.  It was beautiful.  Here is a time lapse.

Thought I'd Share....

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Re: BC Fires - Smokey Sunrise
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 09:42:41 AM »
Greg,

The undulations are fantastic - thank you for sharing.

Randall

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 11:16:28 PM »
We are now buried in smoke from the BC wildfires.  Our beautiful blues and greens are now gray...  All you can see is smoke.  The last look at color for us was sunrise yesterday.  It was beautiful.  Here is a time lapse.

Thought I'd Share....

Greg

Not sure I'd call it beautiful, but maybe stunning! I hope you don't have respiratory problems of any sort. We had several wildfires break out here about 5 years ago, and it was pretty scary even though they were some distance off. Smoke was a real problem for days, and burnt leaves and ash came down as well. I wish you well.
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 11:38:47 PM »
Thanks Yatah....  I do have a bit of asthma and it showed it's ugly head this morning...  I coughed until I almost puked... but got through it knowing that I had my inhalator in the car... I take off for work and take a pull on it... stone cold dead....  So I went cold turkey all day.  Fortunately my office is south of here and the smoke wasn't too bad...  But for perspective... Here are images from 4:00pm on 7/4 and today 7/6..

Before Smoke:

Today:

Cough....
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 12:13:39 AM »
And another flag pole, too! That looks like a wooden one... maybe brass?  :lol:

Sorry you had asthma problems. I haven't checked NOAA, but hopefully the flow through the Strait will clear the smoke to the east.
-Lee

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 12:26:04 AM »
Yup...  that's the forecast.  Onshore flow pushing the smoke to the east.  This flagpole is mine.  It was the mast off the first boat my Dad built in the 30'.  Solid, straight old growth spruce...  The other flag is my neighbors.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 12:52:08 AM »
What's the second flag on your pole?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:54:35 AM by yahtah »
-Lee

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 09:44:01 AM »
That is an LGBT Pride flag.  Many folks in Washington have been flying them in honor of the Federal Marriage Equality act that was passes a couple of weeks ago.  Washington was one of the first states to legalize.

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2015, 10:27:16 AM »
It was bad here yesterday.  Had health warnings out for everyone. I swear I could see a haze between me and my neighbor when were were talking.
They claimed the air was worse than Beijing yesterday.
Much better today. Tomorrow not as good.

http://weather.rms.rdale.org/Minninfo.php

http://www.startribune.com/air-pollution-warning-issued-for-northern-minnesota/311762681/

Is it pollution if it is natural?  Just a question.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:37:17 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:39:04 PM »
That is an LGBT Pride flag.  Many folks in Washington have been flying them in honor of the Federal Marriage Equality act that was passes a couple of weeks ago.  Washington was one of the first states to legalize.

Greg

Good on You! I never could understand the big fuss except the economic complaints of the insurance industry; there are many things that should not be For Profit undertakings. Trying to avoid lapsing into a rant here...  :roll:
-Lee

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 12:22:08 AM »
Yatah....  Thank you...  I think it is pretty simple... If our country believes that all "men/women" are created equal....  What has taken so long to pass this... 

Now... disclaimer part....  I know there are a lot of folks that disagree with this position and I thank God that I live in a country that supports this diversity...  Yes...  I do believe that we are all created equal and are all entitled to our opinion.... Quite frankly, I respect those who disagree...  because that is beauty of the country we live in!

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 12:45:14 AM »
Yatah....  Thank you...  I think it is pretty simple... If our country believes that all "men/women" are created equal....  What has taken so long to pass this... 

Now... disclaimer part....  I know there are a lot of folks that disagree with this position and I thank God that I live in a country that supports this diversity...  Yes...  I do believe that we are all created equal and are all entitled to our opinion.... Quite frankly, I respect those who disagree...  because that is beauty of the country we live in!

Greg

Not trying to HiJack the thread, but you are Correct that our nation is built on the healthy dialog about human rights and what they mean for humanity. Nobody should suffer from another's prejudice. {/Rant}
-Lee