Author Topic: **Acurite Atlas 7/8 with FARS + Many Add-Ons Now Available** -Elite Soon?  (Read 49741 times)

Offline DC

Re: New Acurite Atlas 7/8 Elite Station ( April/June? 2017) HD Wifi FARS
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »
Great comparison on the spreadsheet. A few observations. The VP2 (wireless) can be had for $428 at Scaled Instruments plus $117 for the software and datalogger plus shipping. I upload from WeatherLink to WU and CWOP every 5 minutes, not 15 per the spreadsheet. I think you should add whether the console display is in color or not and whether the console (datalogger) can communicate to the computer or however data is uploaded to WU et al via a cable or bluetooth or wifi. Not sure about the others, but Davis has a lot of upgrade features. For example, if you want to add a UV sensor or a fan in the ISS after buying a basic VP2, you can do that. Such upgradability would be useful in your analysis.

Thanks, every 5 minutes that is the first I have heard and is great news and I will update the ss.  Since you know WeatherLink well, is the one minute update to Davis apps correct or can it done faster?

Will add the color console.  I found the Davis communications very confusing, complex and as you state a lot of options but will take a stab at that section again.  Happy to send you ss if you want to take a run at it as you have a lot more experience and expertise that I do... although I feel like I am no longer a novice, maybe an advanced beginner :) LOL !

Offline DC

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2017, 10:52:25 PM »
Only the Acurite displays update the barometer at 12 minutes.

Stations using the SmartHUB update the baro once a minute.

Thank you, great to know, I will update the ss, any reason for the 12 minutes, seems like a long time, guessing processing power? 

Offline DC

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2017, 10:57:20 PM »

No guesses on Atlas pricing or do you already know? 

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2017, 01:09:15 AM »

I've no comment on that.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »

I've no comment on that.
So that means you know, you just can't elaborate?

I think the prices above may be a bit high. The elite I think will run around $300, $325 tops. The other two between $150 and $225. My guess... lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 10:51:05 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline sundevil01010101

• KAZSURPR41/54/57
  • Senior Contributor
  • Eye on the sky...
    • Surprise AZ Weather
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2017, 09:56:56 PM »
I hope the Elite has a bird spike option for that rain collector....better if included. 

Looks pretty perchable (?) to me...

Visit https://www.surpriseazweather.com/ !!!
Bucket List - 1,000,000 visitors  :twisted: Lol...

Offline GeekNJ

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2017, 08:13:09 AM »
Looking to get back into having a personal weather station and the new models look interesting. I'll [not very] patiently wait until pricing and a release date are announced.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2017, 08:26:55 AM »
The information on when the station will go for sale has been dribbling out... Now the latest rumble is that it will be deep into the summer. Spring is out of the possibilities. Hopefully they are making some tweaks to get things right before rushing to put these out. I think many would rather wait a few weeks, or so longer than have to do a return or find something not working like it was meant to. There are a lot of options built into these, and if just one goes wrong, it would appear that the whole unit could need to be returned to fix it?

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
Re: New Acurite Atlas 7/8 Elite Station (Summer 2017?) HD Wifi FARS
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2017, 02:06:12 PM »
Which raises the age-old question: Which is better, the all-in-one integrated package, or the separate, individual components package?

It's the same problem with home stereo/Hi Fi gear.

In the quest for accurate sound or accurate weather data I don't think there's much debate regarding which is better, separate vs. integrated.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
Deep into the summer, they must be having some set backs.  :oops:
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »

Not just "deep into Summer", but "the end of summer!" Ouch...

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2017, 06:35:19 PM »
I was waiting for end-of-spring but with Elite turning into Vaporware I will be accepting delivery tomorrow (or Wed) of: 5-1 with pc-connect, hd display, lightning sensor and extra temp/humidity sensor.

Acurite should change their homepage which alleges that the Atlas is COMING SOON.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2017, 07:49:10 PM »
I am still planning to wait and see what happens with the Atlas Elite. I think the only way I would buy the 5-1 is if Acurite offered a reasonable trade-in/refund when the Atlas series is ready to ship ... an unlikely scenario indeed. Short of that, I will either continue waiting or go with a different brand.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2017, 05:14:14 AM »
 :?  I will wait...this thing is gonna be the "cat's PJ's"

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2017, 06:11:43 AM »

For those who didn't live through the repeated schedule slips back in the early days for getting a bridge from the second production batch, let me offer this tip.  You have to take any promised delivery time from Acu-Rite and multiply it by Pi to get the *real* ship date.  I suspect that this has something to do with them running around in circles trying to complete the project, but in any case the Pi * promised_delivery_time math always works out.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline sinan0310

« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2017, 03:29:37 AM »
Hello Sinan,
We plan to release the Atlas systems at the end of the summer.  Once the date gets closer we will have more information to provide.  Have a great day

I got this message from Acurite
WU ID: IISTANBU111

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
End of summer release ... probably Sept. or Oct. ... then wait for some real-world user reviews and problem reports ... then wait to see if AcuRite provides some support/fixes ... it looks like it will be sometime next year before I decide whether or not to get the Atlas Elite.   :-)

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »
This is why I ended up purchasing an 5N1. The prolonged wait from what Acurite originally estimated became just too frustrating. No reflection on the company though-- these kinds of delays are understandable in lieu of overseas production and the hope of avoiding  finicky hardware/ buggy software. Better that they take their time producing a kickass product that can compete on a par with Davis rather than rush to meet a deadline and end up with disgruntled customers.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: April 25, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »
Seems the discussions have gone quiet. Our friend Nincehelser has been suspiciously "mum" on this topic... hmmmmmm

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #94 on: April 25, 2017, 11:23:01 PM »
I'm not holding my breath. Wouldn't doubt if this thing doesn't arrive until early winter at this point.  Perhaps just making the christmas shopping season. Was hoping this might replace my ambient WS-1400 (awful temp spikes in late afternoon when the sun is beating on the side of the radiation shield). I'll go with another option outside of Acurite though at this point.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2017, 07:41:07 AM »
I think there may actually be stations already "on the air", but I can't prove it. I think the beta test is already occurring.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
If they want to keep interest up, AcuRite at least needs to keep some information trickling out. A price list would help ... user manual would be even better. Even a few screen shots might help keep some interest going among potential buyers.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2017, 12:17:16 PM »
Also it would be great if they would let us know that the myacurite software will be upgraded and made more user configurable. (Every time I check the temp graph on myacurite I have to uncheck 4 parameters to get a clear temp graph. If I switch away and then back again, I have to do it again).

P.S. Any new Atlas myacurite software should also be available to legacy 5in1 users.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2017, 07:53:34 PM »
Our friend Nincehelser has been suspiciously "mum" on this topic... hmmmmmm

Didn't he take a break from the forum for health reasons several months back?  If so, best wishes for a speedy recovery.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2017, 08:40:51 PM »
I got intrigued with a $99 offer for an AcuRite Pro+5n1 today then remembered the concept of the Atlas Elite coming so I held off. I am so disgusted with the rainfall measurements being recorded by my two VP2s I am about to give up on Davis and try something else. Yes, the SHT31 is a remarkable temp-humidity sensor, but the rest of the station is dated and I am getting tired of buying new rain bases and buckets only to find their accuracy as bad as before. I am reluctant to hook up my Rainwise 111 rain gauge (as suggested by CW2274) to the VP2s as it adds clutter to my yard and my wife might institutionalize me for going off the reservation. That said, the Rainwise is very close to what I consider my most accurate gauge, that is, the CoCo 4" plastic (non-tipping bucket) gauge.

On paper, the forthcoming AcuRite elite gauge looks great, but from reading consumer reviews of current AcuRite equipment, I am skeptical AcuRite can deliver. In the meantime, I may continue to try, for the umpteen time, to calibrate the rain gauges once again! I can live with a black and white console, DOS looking Weatherlink software, a clunky way to connect the console to my computer, but wildly inaccurate rain measurements is clearly unacceptable! You would think Davis could correctly calibrate at least one of my two newly purchased rain base and bucket mechanisms but so far, no luck. Where is the competition when we need it!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 08:42:42 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

anything