Author Topic: Data Usage on upload weatherlink IP DataLogger or new 6100  (Read 933 times)

Offline OnPointVineyard

Hi,
I am preparing to buy a Davis 6152 station w/ moisture sensors and need internet access for a small vineyard I own in Oregon. I am located where my internet ISP is satellite only and I am data limited to 20gb / mos. Can someone give me an idea of the IP DataLogger bandwidth usage per minute, day or hour? Has anyone tested the new 6100 weatherlink wifi unit for data usage?
Another question will weatherlink display my moisture sensors data? I am assuming only with subscription level.
TIA,
John

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Data Usage on upload weatherlink IP DataLogger or new 6100
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 08:44:10 PM »
Is that 20Gb per month? This can be a bit of an open ended query depending on ISP & router hardware but a standard Davis Pro+ & WLIP I can run under a 150Mb/month plan and still have 90-100Mb spare. 

Offline OnPointVineyard

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 08:45:10 AM »
MattK thanks for the quick reply. Yes that's 20GB per month. So you are saying WLIP is using approximately 60 to 50 Mb per month correct?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 08:53:48 AM »
As Mattk says it does depend on exactly how you have the unit (either WLIP or WLL) configured wrt archive interval, plan type etc. And it's likely to vary more with WLL because of the option to add many more sensors than are possible with WLIP. I'm not aware that anyone even has a bandwidth usage range for WLL yet, given that it was only released last week.

But if you were to reckon 10's to 100's of MB/month then that that's in the right ballpark. I'd be surprised if even a WLL with multiple sensors and on eg a Pro plan exceeded 1GB/month.

But assuming you're asking about a vineyard installation then I'd definitely opt for the WLL - the extra multi-transmitter flexibility means it's more future-proof.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ashland weather

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 03:12:53 PM »
I did not know where to place this question.  I just installed the weather link live on my cell phone. I got version 2.0.214  Is that correct? I have not ordered the WLL yet. Just wanted to get the app. Will order the WLL if this is the correct version.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 04:13:33 PM »
I just installed the weather link live on my cell phone. I got version 2.0.214  Is that correct?

Not picking nits here but the terminology can get a little confusing. What you've presumably installed is the Weatherlink (WL) smartphone app - there is no specifically Weatherlink Live app - the WL app will show data from any station type that can upload to weatherlink.com, which includes WLL certainly but also several other types. But yes latest versions of the WL app can also configure WLL via Bluetooth. 

The latest iOS WL app that I'm aware of is v2.0.16. I don't know about the latest Android version - I'd have guessed that the versioning was in sync with the iOS version, but maybe not?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 04:15:57 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything